AutoCAD for Mac Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD for Mac Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD for Mac topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Splitting lines at intersections

17 REPLIES 17
SOLVED
Message 1 of 18
xcelerator
107454 Views, 17 Replies

Splitting lines at intersections

Is there a way to select lines and split them into line segments at intersections? For example, say I draw two lines that intersect at some point. Is there a function that splits up these two lines into four lines around that intersection? My Googling has been unsuccessful and I can't seem to find another thread here in the Mac forum. I'm stuck! I'm running Autocad LT 2017 for Mac.
17 REPLIES 17
Message 2 of 18
maxim_k
in reply to: xcelerator

Hi,

You can use BREAK command for this:

https://knowledge.autodesk.com/support/autocad-lt-for-mac/learn-explore/caas/CloudHelp/cloudhelp/201...

You have to use it for each line separately.
There also should be a button on Tool Sets palette "Break at point" which uses the macro based on BREAK command.

Maxim

Do you find the posts helpful? "LIKE" these posts!
Have your question been answered successfully? Click 'ACCEPT SOLUTION' button.

Maxim Kanaev
Architect
MARSS

MacACAD | Linkedin

Etiquette and Ground Rules of Autodesk Community
Message 3 of 18
xcelerator
in reply to: maxim_k

I've tried that before posting, but it just doesn't work how I'd expect. Maybe that's where my question should be focused--

When I initiate the BREAK command, it prompts me to select the object, so I select the line I want to break. But it auto-sets wherever I clicked as the first breaking point--not particularly useful as I cannot select an intersection when selecting the object originally. So, after I click the object, I have to type 'F' for first break point. From here I can click the intersection, it prompts for the second point, then it splits the line. 

I've also tried selecting the line before the BREAK command. It just clears my selection and makes me select the object, type 'F', click first point, click second point. 

Am I missing something? Is there some way to change the default behavior to let me select the object before BREAK, or at least default to "select first point" instead of auto-selecting wherever I clicked the object? 

Message 4 of 18
maxim_k

As I wrote before:
There also should be a button on Tool Sets palette "Break at point" which uses the macro based on BREAK command. This macro asks for the object to break, than it prompts for break point and assigns it to the first and second points.
Do you see this button?
If no - than try to add it by customizing Toolsets palette.

Maxim

Maxim Kanaev
Architect
MARSS

MacACAD | Linkedin

Message 5 of 18
xcelerator

I saw it and clicked it, but it works the same way.

It makes me select the object, then it auto-defaults the first point to wherever I clicked. Any way to get it to immediately prompt for 'select first break point' after selecting the object?

Message 6 of 18
maxim_k

Can you use CUI command to open CUI window, search for "Break at point" command, than attach screenshot of the macro it uses? It is on the right side of the command tab of the CUI window. Just make sure the CUI window is wide enough to show the entire macro string.

Maxim

Maxim Kanaev
Architect
MARSS

MacACAD | Linkedin

Message 7 of 18
xcelerator

Thank you so much for your help (and your patience...)!

Here's a screenshot. (REMOVED: SEE NEXT POST)

Message 8 of 18
xcelerator

My apologies--you said "BREAK AT POINT" not just break.

Screenshot attached.

Message 9 of 18
maxim_k

Macro should work.
The only one additional condition - turn off object snap temporary before using this macro (button).

Maxim

Maxim Kanaev
Architect
MARSS

MacACAD | Linkedin

Message 10 of 18
xcelerator

Even with snap off, it's still doing the same thing. I turned off snap, clicked the BREAK button, selected the object, and it defaulted to where I clicked the object.

I'm using TRIM for now, it's faster than the way BREAK works, but I'm sure there's a better way!

Message 11 of 18
xcelerator

OK--sorry for all this double-posting, but I just noticed that clicking and holding the BREAK button brings up BREAK AT POINT. That function works mostly like the way I'd expect; however, is there a function I can type? I'd prefer to type the function than click a button.

Message 12 of 18
maxim_k

There is no "Break at point" command in AutoCAD and as you are using AutoCAD LT, you can not use AutoLISP routine to create new command for that. The only one option in LT is to use macro assigned to the button on Tool Sets palette or to menu item.
On the other hand you can try to use shortcut assignment to the menu item as in Mac OS shortcut assignment is a feature built in OS.
So, add "Break at point" command to the menu using CUI command in AutoCAD, than go to MacOS System Preferences (Keyboard pane) and on Shortcuts tab assign some shortcut to "Break at point" menu item in AutoCAD LT application.
Now you can use new shortcut in AutoCAD to call "Break at point" macro.

Maxim

Maxim Kanaev
Architect
MARSS

MacACAD | Linkedin

Message 13 of 18
xcelerator

Awesome idea--the shortcut works beautifully.

Knowing that CUI function will also come in very handy.

Thank you!

Message 14 of 18
Anonymous

if you dont mind..
select all intersecting lines and polylines and explode..
purge and save it as dwg file...
Save it again but as a dxf file...
Open staad pro..
import/export dxf..
Structure Convention, chose Y Up..
Choose appropriate Units..
Select all lines in staad pro..
in Geometry Tab select INTERSECT SELECTED BEAMS..
in the File Tab selct IMPORT/EXPORT..
Export as 3D DXF File..
Provide File name for the dxf file..
in Structure convention, chose Z UP..
Open in autocad the generated dxf file from staad and remove all unnecessary text..

may it helps you..
Message 15 of 18
ebaker72.eb

For years now I've been wondering why autocad can't break multiple lines by picking a cutting edge, right clicking, then using a crossing window to cut lines, where both sides of the line that was cut remain. It could be added as a trim option or mode. 

Terramodel, ancient software from the 90s could do this. 

But maybe I just never figured out how to ask google how to do this. Forums have provided zero help with this without some elaborate process where I could use the clunky break, first, second command and do it a few dozen times and still be quicker than the workaround.

Any updates with this?

Message 16 of 18
pendean
in reply to: ebaker72.eb

BREAK is the correct term in AutoCAD, not "cut" @ebaker72.eb
https://help.autodesk.com/view/ACDMAC/2023/ENU/?guid=GUID-7F63FF08-BF72-4975-8AFA-B6B3DC058F35

You can tell Autodesk to add any functionality you want yourself (no one here is able to do that for you) over here https://www.autodesk.com/company/contact-us/product-feedback

If you are running full AutoCAD, not LT, you can automate with LISP (free to you as a user), or find a LISP from someone else on the web that already figured out the code, like these perhaps
https://forums.autodesk.com/t5/visual-lisp-autolisp-and-general/break-multiple-lines-at-point-of-int...
http://www.lee-mac.com/objectbreak.html
https://www.cadforum.cz/en/qaID.asp?tip=5632
https://www.cadtutor.net/forum/topic/25534-breaking-multiple-lines-using-a-cross-line/
Message 17 of 18
ebaker72.eb
in reply to: pendean

Yes, I have understood the limits of the break and trim command for about 20 years now. That's kinda the point I'm making.

My point stands that it is a simple action that even ancient software offered. And yeah, one person using a contact us page has historically done......nothing. lol

Thanks for the links though

Message 18 of 18
pendean
in reply to: ebaker72.eb

@ebaker72.eb wrote:

...My point stands that it is a simple action that even ancient software offered. ...

Indeed, if it was simple, or if thousands and thousands of users asked for it, it would be there now for sure.

That's all I stated. I also don't wait for anyone, if I want something I make it happen (LISP in this case).

@ebaker72.eb wrote:

... for about 20 years now..

As are most of us answering posts around here: 33+years for me. LISP and more are on offer for us users to go beyond the boxed package.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Technology Administrators

Autodesk Design & Make Report