AutoCAD for Mac Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD for Mac Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD for Mac topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Resize rectangle numerically !

12 REPLIES 12
SOLVED
Message 1 of 13
Anonymous
16662 Views, 12 Replies

Resize rectangle numerically !

Hello everyone,

I am trying to resize rectangles numerically, this is affecting my work flow baldy.

The case is i have a rectangle that is say 1 M by 1.1213123 M to be 1 by 2 lets say.Now when i attempt to do that i am only given the option to stretch the rectangle manually or enter the distance i want to stretch the rectangle by.

I want to be able to enter numerically the value i want rectangle to finally be. is there a way to edit an existing rectangle's width and length numerically were the numerical values inserted are the final dimensions and not values to stretch by ?

For example in the properties panel can i see the rectangles width and length and later them there ? 

I think i was able to do this using a setting in the dynamic input to insert numerically the resulting dimension but for some reason now i can not see this setting when i select a rectangle and press tab to shuffle my input options. i am only presented with stretch value and angle. Even though i have show all the dimensions input fields simultaneously checked to be visible !

HELP ?

12 REPLIES 12
Message 2 of 13
maxim_k
in reply to: Anonymous

Hi Shareef,

The result of RECTANG command in AutoCAD is closed polyline in a form of rectangle ant it always behaved with dynamic input like you described in your post.
If you need a kind of parametric rectangle, you can use workarounds:
- create Dynamic Block:
http://www.archidigm.com/Coverpage/cover1-09/lounge-set_smart_rectangle.htm
-or use Parametric constraints:
https://blogs.autodesk.com/autocad/autocad-rectangle-constraints-tuesday-tips-heidi/

I personally think that Dynamic Block is better solution, because you can have troubles with graphic performance when there will be a lot of Parametric constraints in a drawing.

Do you find the posts helpful? "LIKE" these posts!
Have your question been answered successfully? Click 'ACCEPT SOLUTION' button.

Maxim Kanaev
Architect
MARSS

MacACAD | Linkedin

Etiquette and Ground Rules of Autodesk Community
Message 3 of 13
cooperAL5P5

I've been scratching my head at how many hoops you have to jump through to do such a basic task at this, but I think I've discovered another solution in the form of the "from" command modifier. So the order of operations is:

1. select a rectangle
  2. click the center grip of one edge
  3. type "from" and press enter
  4. select the opposite edge of the rectangle (object snapping mode needs to be on)
  5. move the mouse in toward the direction that edge came from
  6. type your new dimension and voila, you've resized the rectangle to a total-size dimension

Such a computer-y, explicitly procedural software this is. I'm just starting to learn it and I've never worked in an app that is like this. Definitely is going to take some getting used to.

Message 4 of 13
Anonymous
in reply to: cooperAL5P5

This looks promising but I do not understand "direction that edge came from".  How does an edge come from somewhere?  Are you talking about the direction in which you want to move that edge?

Message 5 of 13

Hello @maxim_k wishing you well! It has been a while. 

Trying to find the dimensions input command as I was here again and wanted to check the following:

Under the drafting setting, dynamic input there is the dimensions input settings. Their prompt is to select a vertex point and press - tab. This should bring up dimension input boxes and an extended set of options listed in the screenshot attached. Tab does nothing of the sort when pressed on my AC for Mac. What could be the issue?

Message 6 of 13

Hello @UNKNOWN.DESIGN.LAB ,

Can you illustrate somehow your problem?

On my side everything works as it should:

Dyn Input.gif

Once I select a grip, I can switch between dimension input fields with the TAB key.

Maxim Kanaev
Architect
MARSS

MacACAD | Linkedin

Message 7 of 13

Once I select a grip, I am unable to switch between dimension input fields with the TAB key because they do not display. I do have them turned on from the Dynamic Input tab under the drafting input menu (Ref. Screenshot & Screencast). 

Message 8 of 13
maxim_k

@UNKNOWN.DESIGN.LAB ,

Sorry, but screenshot doesn't show your AutoCAD window with the problem.

Can you show it here?

Or better - please create screencast.

Do you have this problem only in one specific drawing or in all of your drawings, even in newly created?

Maxim Kanaev
Architect
MARSS

MacACAD | Linkedin

Message 9 of 13

@maxim_k For some reason, the screencast did not upload with the last post. here is a link to it:  https://autode.sk/3P6WhOX

I tested for the behaviour and found it is across all my AC files / New ones as well. 

Message 10 of 13
maxim_k

@UNKNOWN.DESIGN.LAB 

Have you tried to Reset AutoCAD?

Maxim Kanaev
Architect
MARSS

MacACAD | Linkedin

Message 11 of 13

Not yet. What would be the implications of this reset?

Message 12 of 13

@UNKNOWN.DESIGN.LAB turn off ALL of your running osnaps: does your issue in the video go away?
You appear to have way too many running, AutoCAD provides for a quick toggle off/on for a reason, it is to compensate for this issue.
Message 13 of 13

@UNKNOWN.DESIGN.LAB ,

The last question before Reset:

Do you have Dynamic Input enabled?

DYNMODE System Variable should be 3 (not -3).

2022-05-10_16-10-50.png

Maxim Kanaev
Architect
MARSS

MacACAD | Linkedin

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Technology Administrators

Autodesk Design & Make Report