AutoCAD for Mac Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD for Mac Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD for Mac topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

"error: malformed string on input" AutoCAD 2017 for MAC

15 REPLIES 15
SOLVED
Message 1 of 16
satoslp
983 Views, 15 Replies

"error: malformed string on input" AutoCAD 2017 for MAC

Hello, I'm testing the AutoCAD 2017 for MAC, most changes are great, it feels more like AutoCAD for Windows, something that makes my workflow faster as I always worked on Windows since R12, and I use in office 2 computers, one MAC and one PC...   today I found the "error: malformed string on input" message when AutoCAD starts, as far as I know this error don't affect anything, but want to know what causes it, how to fix it and if it broke something inside AutoCAD that I haven't found yet. In forum mesages read something similar in AutoCAD electrical, but it's for Windows and the solution don't works for MAC

15 REPLIES 15
Message 2 of 16
maxim_k
in reply to: satoslp

Hi,

You have some AutoLISP routine which is loaded on AutoCAD launch and that routine has mismatched parenthesis pair.
Have you added some AutoLISP routine to the Startup Suite with APPLOAD command?

Maxim

Do you find the posts helpful? "LIKE" these posts!
Have your question been answered successfully? Click 'ACCEPT SOLUTION' button.

Maxim Kanaev
Architect
MARSS

MacACAD | Linkedin

Etiquette and Ground Rules of Autodesk Community
Message 3 of 16
satoslp

Hello Maxim, thanks for answering my question. I tried a couple of lisp routines, but they haven't worked as AutoCAD for MAC lacks a lots of commands and system variables (they work perfect on AutoCAD for Windows), what I don't remember is if I only loaded once when tried them or configure them to auto load on start. I'll check it on monday, meanwhile have a nice weekend.
Message 4 of 16
maxim_k

Good. Check that.
BTW if AutoLISP routines you were trying to use with AutoCAD are not very complex, probably it is possible to rewrite them to make compatible with AutoCAD for Mac.
You can attach them here and I can look at them.

Maxim

Maxim Kanaev
Architect
MARSS

MacACAD | Linkedin

Message 5 of 16
satoslp
in reply to: maxim_k

Hello Maxim, thanks for your answers, as you sugested the guilty was 2 LISP routines that where in the briefcase, both routines are a bit long, anyway I attach them to see if they can be updated easy...  do you know if there's a list of valid lisp commands or substitutes in MAC? I'll like to update and dust off my short knowlege writing LISP routines, best regards

Message 6 of 16
maxim_k

I'll look at your LSP files later.
Meanwhile you can find AutoLISP Functions Reference here:
http://help.autodesk.com/view/OARXMAC/2017/ENU/?guid=GUID-4CEE5072-8817-4920-8A2D-7060F5E16547

Each function in the Reference has a special note about availability on each platform - Windows and Mac.

Maxim

Maxim Kanaev
Architect
MARSS

MacACAD | Linkedin

Message 7 of 16
john.vellek

Hi @satoslp,

I didn't see a malformed list error with either of these files.

The larger of these files has a section in it that is trying to pull up a custom DCL dialog window. This will not work on the MAC.

Are there specific parts of the routines that aren't working? The few that I tried all seem to work fine.

Please select the Accept as Solution button if my post solves your issue or answers your question.

John Vellek

Join the Autodesk Customer Council - Interact with developers, provide feedback on current and future software releases, and beta test the latest software!

Autodesk Knowledge Network | Autodesk Account | Product Feedback
Message 8 of 16
maxim_k

John was ahead of me and already answered all questions.
If you need further assistance, let me know.

Maxim

Maxim Kanaev
Architect
MARSS

MacACAD | Linkedin

Message 9 of 16
satoslp
in reply to: maxim_k

John, Maxim, thanks for taking the time to answer my doubts, the problem obviously isn't a "" issue, but a function/command/variable called by my LISPs that aren't recognized by the AutoCAD for MAC, I'll try to dig into this problem, I'll wonder if it's material for a new thread

Message 10 of 16
john.vellek

Let's keep going here 🙂

I would look at each defun in the LISP routine and if you run across one that use want but isn't working, please add a post and I can try to help.

John Vellek

Join the Autodesk Customer Council - Interact with developers, provide feedback on current and future software releases, and beta test the latest software!

Message 11 of 16
john.vellek

HI @satoslp,

I am checking back to see if my post or @maxim_k's helped you with your problem. Please add a post with how you decide to proceed and your results so other Community members may benefit.

Please hit the Accept as Solution button if a post or posts solves your issue or answers your question.

John Vellek

Message 12 of 16
satoslp
in reply to: john.vellek

Hello, sorry for the delay in continue the topic. The Zeta0.lsp routine is the one that I need to ran on AutoCAD for MAC, and it denies to work, I'm shure that is not for a "" issue, but can't figure out at what point this lisp is uncompatible wit AutoCAD for MAC, I'll keep trying to find out why.

Message 13 of 16
maxim_k

Hi,

I tried Zeta0.lsp and it works fine on my side with some basic objects I created for test. From the code inside this Lisp file I can say - it is fully compatible with AutoCAD for Mac/

Do you have troubles with this Lisp routine in all of your drawings or just in some of them?

Maxim

Maxim Kanaev
Architect
MARSS

MacACAD | Linkedin

Message 14 of 16
john.vellek

Hih @satoslp,

I too had no problem with that LISP. What kind of error are you seeing?

John Vellek

Message 15 of 16
satoslp
in reply to: john.vellek

Hello, thnaks for the answers, I'm sorry because I can't no longer test the lisp zeta0.lsp because I was fired after 13 years working there, but definitely that lisp was the cause of the "error: malformed string on input" message, and the mentioned lisp wasn't working as should, his function was moving every single object in Z axis to "0", I guess it's because theres no Filter command in AutoCAD for MAC, but now maybe I never know.

Message 16 of 16
maxim_k

Hello,

I'm sorry about your dismissal.
Just want to say again that I tested Zeta0.lsp and it works fine in AutoCAD for Mac.

Maxim

Maxim Kanaev
Architect
MARSS

MacACAD | Linkedin

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost