AutoCAD for Mac Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD for Mac Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD for Mac topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Open DWG 2018 File on Mac Running AutoCAD 2017

43 REPLIES 43
SOLVED
Message 1 of 44
Anonymous
14956 Views, 43 Replies

Open DWG 2018 File on Mac Running AutoCAD 2017

Hi,

Can someone please let me know how to open / manipulate / save a 2018 DWG on a Mac running AutoCAD 2017 (without buying a Windows box)?

I do not beleive that TrueView is compatible with OS X?

Thanks,

Tags (1)
43 REPLIES 43
Message 21 of 44
Anonymous
in reply to: pendean

This link is expired

Message 22 of 44
pendean
in reply to: Anonymous

Still works fine here

Capture.PNG

Message 23 of 44
Anonymous

Are you on mac ?
Message 24 of 44
pendean

No at work, I prefer not to deliberately handicap myself at work with inferior AutoCAD implementations from Autodesk on the Apple platform.
Message 25 of 44
tim
Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
To be honest because I’m always going on about how great apple is ...

Ha, ha! I agree with you, though I try not to rub it in with the Windows people. This isn't an Apple issue, though, it is an Autodesk issue. Of course, the Windows people won't see it that way...

I see pendean only posted this a couple of days ago, but when I click on that link, I get a page saying I have an unsupported browser, and that I should get Chrome. Seriously? I am on a fully-updated Safari. You know, that native macOS internet browser application? Perhaps AutoDesk has heard of it?

I can get into A360 Drive and A360 by clicking on "Launch A360 Web" that comes up in when I click on the A360 icon. However, I am not finding a way to convert files from there. Not sure if that I am in the right place and just not finding the right button, or if that is not the right place. 

Message 26 of 44
tim
Contributor
in reply to: tim

A360 takes me to: https://myhub.autodesk360.com/g/all_projects/active.

A360 Drive takes me to: https://a360.autodesk.com/drive/app/root.

So, neither one seems to be the right place...

Message 27 of 44
pendean

AutoCADMobile, the app previous know as AutoCAD360, just like everyon answering this original question has been pointing to, is here https://client.autocad360.com/#/filemanager.html

A360 is unrelated (not sure why you went there and ignored all the links discussed) is only a viewer/file storage service that's been retired https://a360.autodesk.com/a360-desktop/

Are you just getting distracted by the "360" labels? There is no direct path to AutoCADMobile from inside AutoCAD for Mac (or Windows), never has been.
Message 28 of 44
tim
Contributor

@pendean wrote:
AutoCADMobile, the app previous know as AutoCAD360, just like everyon answering this original question has been pointing to, is here https://client.autocad360.com/#/filemanager.html

A360 is unrelated (not sure why you went there and ignored all the links discussed) is only a viewer/file storage service that's been retired https://a360.autodesk.com/a360-desktop/

Are you just getting distracted by the "360" labels? There is no direct path to AutoCADMobile from inside AutoCAD for Mac (or Windows), never has been.

If you're going to be snippy with me and imply that I didn't bother to read all the previous posts, you would have made a stronger case if you had bothered to read my entire post. It doesn't matter how many people tell me to do something. If it doesn't work, it doesn't work. And if I wasn't confused about something, I wouldn't have come here to seek help in the first place, would I? So just take it easy on a confused guy, ok?

I went there because, as I mentioned initially, the links that people have posted didn't work. At least not without downloading yet more clutter on my system in the form of another piece of 3rd party software. Why the site should fail to recognize the native macOS browser is beyond me, though apparently it worked for Maxim. It would be nice to know what the difference is?

Pardon me for looking for an unobtrusive work around using the facilities that I already have. 

And why should I be confused just because AutoDesk has a dozen different apps/utilities/websites that are all random conglomerations of the letter "A", words that start with "A", and the number 360 which then may or may not have additional words attached, none of which are the same or talk to each other? And why am I still getting automatic updates on a piece of software that has been retired? And why does the Mac version of AutoCad, which is updated significantly later than the PC version (it was 16 months this last time, wasn't it?) NOT have a readily available conversion utility? It makes no sense. 

For the most part, you can ignore the "whys" above. That's just frustration talking, and I think we all know the answer to most of those is that Macs are barely an afterthought to AutoDesk.  Right now I am more interested in the "hows". 

Right now, I am working on two work-arounds. 

First, TrueView has a new version out. For PC only, of course, but if you have one lying around that can at least limp along with Windows 10, then that should at least provide one way to get past the problem. Downloading now. You can find that (along with some other viewers) here: https://www.autodesk.com/products/dwg/viewers#

I don't have time right now to wait on that slow computer, so I am going to assume that that PC-based work-around will actually work. I will post back later if there are issues.

Second, yes, I bit my tongue on the need to download third party software (Chrome) and went ahead and did it. Yes, I was able to access the link that has already been posted: client.autocad360.com/#/filemanager.html. I am now looking at a list of my files there. Now what? I can open the files that i have there, so that's good. I uploaded a 2018 format file that a client sent me, and I can get into it to view it, so that's good. However, I am not seeing a way to convert, save as, download or any other way to change it to the previous file format so I can open it in my AutoCAD 2017 LT for Mac. If I download it, it doesn't give me any options, just BOOM, it's downloaded. What am I missing? The file conversion to use on the Mac is the whole point of the exercise. 

Can I open it directly from this location through AutoCAD? Let's see, file... open... yes, I can click on AutoDesk 360... This looks promising.... Wait. No. The file is not there. Neither are a bunch of other files that I have used on the mobile app months ago, so I know it's not a matter of waiting for it to refresh. They were listed on that file manager site. So where is this AutoDesk 360 directory looking if it is not the AutoCAD 360 folder that I guess is actually AutoCAD360Mobile even though it is not labeled as such. (I don't know why anyone would be confused by this. It all seems perfectly straightforward.)

So, seriously though, if client.autocad360.com/#/filemanager.html is the gateway to convert a file backwards from 2018 to 2013, what is the magic combination to actually accomplish the conversion? More details, please? Anyone?

Message 29 of 44
Anonymous
in reply to: maxim_k

How were you able to save it to an older version on AutoCAD 360? It is not even giving me an option. It automatically saves it as a 2018 file!

I am running 2017 on a MAC

Thank you

Message 30 of 44
maxim_k

Hi Timothy,

In fact Safari is supported for using AutoCAD360:

2017-10-18_10-02-02.png

Yes, when you open https://client.autocad360.com/#/filemanager.html  for the first time, you will see:2017-10-18_10-06-26.png

If you will pick on "Get Chrome", the new tab will open - just ignore it and close.

In the initial window you can login  and will see all your uploaded files.

Now click on uploaded 2018 format drawing, this should bring you to the Editor.

Looks like on Safari it should opened in the "old" version, if so you can use this button to download DWG in preferred format:2017-10-18_10-21-36.png

When you are using Chrome browser, the Editor opens in "new" (beta) version for the first time, where downloading with DWG format conversion is not available (maybe it will be added later, don't know exactly). So you need to use this link:2017-10-18_09-56-36.png

To go to "old" Editor, where you can convert your drawing the same way as in Safari:

2017-10-18_09-57-25.png

HTH

Maxim

Do you find the posts helpful? "LIKE" these posts!
Have your question been answered successfully? Click 'ACCEPT SOLUTION' button.

Maxim Kanaev
Architect
MARSS

MacACAD | Linkedin

Etiquette and Ground Rules of Autodesk Community
Message 31 of 44
Anonymous

Screen shot ?
Message 32 of 44
maxim_k

Screen shot of what?

Maxim

Maxim Kanaev
Architect
MARSS

MacACAD | Linkedin

Message 33 of 44
maxim_k

Welcome to Autodesk Forums!

Hi Jaime,

You need to use https://client.autocad360.com/#/filemanager.html

The instructions are here:

https://forums.autodesk.com/t5/autocad-for-mac-forum/open-dwg-2018-file-on-mac-running-autocad-2017/...

Maxim

Maxim Kanaev
Architect
MARSS

MacACAD | Linkedin

Message 34 of 44
pendean
Message 35 of 44
pendean
Message 36 of 44
tim
Contributor

Thank you for the step-by-step, Maxim. That filled in the blanks for me, and I was able to get that to work just fine. Now that I know to either fake it out about downloading Chrome or to go ahead and use Chrome but with the previous version. I really appreciate the thorough response. 

I'm not sure why AutoDesk has decided to make this such a convoluted process, and I certainly hope that they don't kill off the "previous product" before they add the conversion functionality to the new product, but for now at least, this work-around works. 

Message 37 of 44
Anonymous

thanks a lot. ownloading Chrome or to go ahead and use Chrome but with the previous version. I really appreciate the thorough response.  bilgisayar servisi

Tags (1)
Message 38 of 44
Anonymous

Tried this and it now just sends you into a sign in loop on Safari.  I can't figure out how to save down to another version on chrome.  Any help is appreciated.

Message 39 of 44
maxim_k

Welcome to Autodesk Forums!

Hi Tray,

Unfortunately "old" editor is no longer available after Autodesk released 2019 version of AutoCAD for Windows. For now there is only one (AutoCAD – web application) which lacks "save to previous DWG format" feature and is supported only in Chrome.

It is still under development and you can leave your feedback here:
https://forums.autodesk.com/t5/autocad-web-application-forum/bd-p/227

And vote for new features here:

https://autodeskresearch.az1.qualtrics.com/jfe/form/SV_aYw5XQBaxvI9zdr

Maxim

Maxim Kanaev
Architect
MARSS

MacACAD | Linkedin

Message 40 of 44
john.vellek

HI @Anonymous,

Yes, the ability to convert online is no longer an option.  If you would like to send me your files I am happy to save them down for you. If they need to be private, you can email to john.vellek@autodesk.com.

Another option is to download a 30-day Trial version of AutoCAD for Mac 2018 to do the conversion.

Please select the Accept as Solution button if my post solves your issue or answers your question.

John Vellek

Join the Autodesk Customer Council - Interact with developers, provide feedback on current and future software releases, and beta test the latest software!

Autodesk Knowledge Network | Autodesk Account | Product Feedback

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report