AutoCAD for Mac Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD for Mac Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD for Mac topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

MacBook Pro Good for using AutoCad?

18 REPLIES 18
SOLVED
Message 1 of 19
Anonymous
75516 Views, 18 Replies

MacBook Pro Good for using AutoCad?

Hi

Can someone help me out trying to select a laptop for specifically for using AutoCAD... Please

I am a big fan of MacBook Pro, however a few people have told me that it is not a good program for using AutoCAD and there is an extra software I need to purchase...

Is it really not compatible with AutoCAD and also how much more will this software cost?

Thanks

Monica

18 REPLIES 18
Message 2 of 19
john.vellek
in reply to: Anonymous

Hi @Anonymous,

As I indicated in my response on your other post, I use AutoCAD on the Mac and like it quite a bit. An alternative to AutoCAD for Mac might be to run Windows AutoCAD in Bootcamp on the Mac. I run both configurations and both offer different features and experiences.

I suggest you post in the Mac forum too to see what Mac users feel about all of this.

John Vellek

Join the Autodesk Customer Council - Interact with developers, provide feedback on current and future software releases, and beta test the latest software!

Autodesk Knowledge Network | Autodesk Account | Product Feedback
Message 3 of 19
pendean

You subscribe to AutoCAD for the one same price and decide if you want Windows or MAC anytime that subscription remains valid.

AutoCAD for MAC lacks Express Tools and some other features though: you up to giving these up?
Message 4 of 19
nrz13

The MacBook Pro is a good machine, but as others have alluded, you may need to install extra software, depending on what version of the program you want to use.

Option 1:  Use AutoCAD for Mac, which doesn't have the full feature set of the Windows version yet.  No extra software is needed for this option.

Option 2:  Use AutoCAD (Windows version) in Boot Camp.  Boot Camp is free, but you'll have to buy a copy of the Windows software to install on it.  This will also require you to reboot between Windows and macOS (formerly Mac OS X).

Option 3:  Use AutoCAD (Windows version) with virtualization software on macOS.  This may require that you buy the virtualization software, depending on what you get.  This option will have a slight performance hit running AutoCAD, but you probably won't notice it unless you're working with large/3D drawings and/or rendering.  You won't have to reboot to switch between AutoCAD and you macOS programs.

Work:  AutoCAD 2022.1.3, Windows 10 Pro v22H2 64-bit, Intel Core i7-8700K, 32GB RAM, Samsung 960 Pro SSD, AMD Radeon Pro WX 5100, 3 Dell Monitors (3840x2160)
Home: AutoCAD 2022.1.3, Windows 10 Pro v22H2 64-bit, Intel Core i7-11700, 64GB RAM, Samsung 980 Pro SSD, NVIDIA Quadro P2200, Dell Monitor (3840x2160)
Message 5 of 19
john.vellek

Hi @Anonymous,

I am curious to see if you had explored this issue on the Mac forum also. It might give you more end-user perspective.

I understand that you are leaning towards the MacBook option currently. I would advise that you avoid some of the virtualization products out there that allow you to have Windows and MacOS running concurrently as this means you are using resources in a less efficient manner. If you elect to purchase a copy of Windows I suggest that you run it in a Bootcamp partition.

Good luck with your decision.

John Vellek

Join the Autodesk Customer Council - Interact with developers, provide feedback on current and future software releases, and beta test the latest software!

Autodesk Knowledge Network | Autodesk Account | Product Feedback
Message 6 of 19
Anonymous

i am deciding to buy a new macbook pro or macbook air. I have the question that is autocad works equally as on windows??? and do i have to buy any products as i have student edition.

Message 7 of 19
nrz13

Get the pro with a dedicated graphics card.  In reality, there's not a big difference in size and weight between the Air and the Pro these days and the Pro is much more powerful.

Work:  AutoCAD 2022.1.3, Windows 10 Pro v22H2 64-bit, Intel Core i7-8700K, 32GB RAM, Samsung 960 Pro SSD, AMD Radeon Pro WX 5100, 3 Dell Monitors (3840x2160)
Home: AutoCAD 2022.1.3, Windows 10 Pro v22H2 64-bit, Intel Core i7-11700, 64GB RAM, Samsung 980 Pro SSD, NVIDIA Quadro P2200, Dell Monitor (3840x2160)
Message 8 of 19
Anonymous

I m interested to buy MacBook Pro for Autocad purpose. What is the minimum requirement I should go for.. what is the price I m looking for.
Message 9 of 19
maxim_k

Welcome to Autodesk Forums!

Hi Preeti,

You can find minimum system requirements here:
https://knowledge.autodesk.com/support/autocad-for-mac/learn-explore/caas/sfdcarticles/sfdcarticles/...

Maxim

Do you find the posts helpful? "LIKE" these posts!
Have your question been answered successfully? Click 'ACCEPT SOLUTION' button.

Maxim Kanaev
Architect
MARSS

MacACAD | Linkedin

Etiquette and Ground Rules of Autodesk Community
Message 10 of 19
nrz13

@Anonymous

What you need will vary by your usage needs, but I would not go with anything less than the 15" MacBook Pro with the dedicated Radeon Pro graphics.  Those start at $2,399 USD.  The 15" model for $1,999 USD does not have a dedicated graphics card.

Message 11 of 19
Anonymous

HI . EVERYONE, I AM USING MACBOOK PRO 13" WITH AUTOCAD 2018 AND IT'S WORK INCREDIBLY FANTASTIC ON IT WITH NO OTHER ISSUES AND MACBOOK PRO 13" IS QUITE LIGHT AND SMALL THEN MACBOOK 15". WELL BOTTOM LINE IS THAT MACBOOK PRO 13" IS COMPATIBLE WITH AUTOCAD 2018..

PRATEEK SAXENA

Message 12 of 19
Anonymous

MacBook Pro is good for using Autocad, but sometimes you may face some problem regarding this. if you are using any router then for sometimes you may face some issues while you are using AutoCAD. So for that, you need to know how to Solve Netgear Router Password Issues and then you can do your work properly.

Message 13 of 19
ptplans

Dear Monica Maredo,

I have been using MacBook Pro since the end of 2017.

I used to use AutoCAD for PC since 2012, taking a course in school and having access to Autocad while I was in school.

But, To me, I just love the Apple products and software. They work so well together and allow for super photo manipulation and sharing, such as the airdrop feature.

I subscribe to the AutoCAD for Mac Software precisely because it is native to Apple. I have used Apple Boot Camp before and I’ve also used parallels. Although they do allow you to use the PC version of AutoCAD, they are not native programs to Apple.

Autocad for Mac software precisely because it is native to Apple. I have used Apple Boot Camp before and I’ve also used parallels. Although they do allow you to use the PC version of AutoCAD, they are not native programs to Apple.

Autocad  for Mac, to me,  is great because it operates within the Apple program language, so you don’t need parallels or Boot Camp or anything else.   Just your MacBook Pro. 

I think Autodesk is going in the right direction here since they are writing the  autoCAD software directly for the Apple.

Although Autocad for Mac software may  be lacking in some of the features of the auto cad for PC, it makes up for it by being a native Apple product.

And since you don’t need to necessarily have an antivirus program, the program runs faster, I think.

I use AutoCAD for 3-D design, and for converting the design to an STL file for use on my 3d Printing.

Other things that are nice or that the program has their usual apple menu across the top  of the desktop. Also, it’s nice to be able to type in the same commands on the command line that you would use in the AutoCAD for the PC.

Hope that helps.

Sincerely,

Paul 

Message 14 of 19
nrz13
in reply to: ptplans

@ptplans wrote:

And since you don’t need to necessarily have an antivirus program, the program runs faster, I think.

Paul, you don't necessarily need an antivirus program in Windows either (although Windows 10 has basic antivirus software built-in that performs very efficiently).  However, it would be silly to run an internet-connected Windows or MacOS (formerly OS X) computer without it.  The security through obscurity that Apple used to get by on just doesn't fly in this century.

Message 15 of 19
ptplans

• MacBook Pro is currently using iOS 12, about to go to iOS 13 in the fall.
Message 16 of 19
maxim_k

Hi @ptplans,

>>>>MacBook Pro is currently using iOS 12, about to go to iOS 13 in the fall.
MacBook cannot use iOS, as iOS is operating system for iPhone (smartphone), but not for desktop and laptop computers.
Current OS for Apple laptops and desktops is macOS 10.14 (Mojave) and it will be macOS 10.15 (Catalina) since this fall.

Do you find the posts helpful? "LIKE" these posts!
Have your question been answered successfully? Click 'ACCEPT SOLUTION' button.

Maxim Kanaev
Architect
MARSS

MacACAD | Linkedin

Etiquette and Ground Rules of Autodesk Community
Message 17 of 19
ptplans

Dear Forum,

I apologize for my error in reporting the operating system of the Mac, which is different from the iPhone and iPad, and the virus requirements for Apple.  I stand corrected by nrz13 and maxim, and thank them for their corrections.   I must say, though, that I like a lot of the security features that Apple has.

I had iOS 13 in my mind from the WWDC (World Wide Developers Conference) in San Jose.

I was amazed at all the new changes coming to Apple products that were mentioned in that conference.

Message 18 of 19
ptplans
in reply to: nrz13

August 9, 2019 

Hey Nick,

Thanks for your correction.

Paul 

Message 19 of 19
ptplans
in reply to: maxim_k

August 9, 2019

Dear Maxim,

Thanks for your correction.

Paul

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Technology Administrators

Autodesk Design & Make Report