AutoCAD for Mac Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD for Mac Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD for Mac topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

HP designjet T790 not printing Arch C

13 REPLIES 13
SOLVED
Message 1 of 14
jean-yves.taschereau
2608 Views, 13 Replies

HP designjet T790 not printing Arch C

Switched from Window to Mac OS 10.11 and when I try to print Arch C (24x18) format, the software thinks I am using an 18 in roll vs a 24 leading to a lot of wasted paper since I have to cut 6 in every time I use it.

I tried all available configurations and I think AutoCad LT 2017 doesn't speak properly to the printer because all was fine with Window Xp.

Anybody got leads on this?

Thanks.

13 REPLIES 13
Message 2 of 14

Is this an orientation problem? as in, instead of selecting 18x24 paper you need to select 24x18 paper?
or is there an auto-rotate function on the plotter/driver that is not on or fighting with your orientation problem?
Message 3 of 14

I agree it is an orientation problem.  However, I con not choose 18x24 vs 24x18.  My choices are Arch C, Arch D, etc.

When I select preview, the image shown is fine and the drawing seems to be oriented the right way with no paper waste, ie, it shows printing with the wide edge of the drawing aligned with the width of the roll, 24".

Then something fights all the settings and rotate the drawing on its narrow edge and waste a band of paper 6x24 that I have to cut manually.  There is an auto-rotate function once in the preview, but it does not affect the result.

Not being computer savvy, I am at lost on how to program the printer or make both systems (AutoCad and the printer) agree on what I am asking.

Any suggestion you have in mind with baby step explanation?

Thanks

Message 4 of 14

Hi,

This could be a problem of plotter software for macOS or incompatibility between AutoCAD and that plotter software.
What if you will try to save PDF from AutoCAD and then print this PDF from Preview app?
Do you have the same problem?

Maxim

Do you find the posts helpful? "LIKE" these posts!
Have your question been answered successfully? Click 'ACCEPT SOLUTION' button.

Maxim Kanaev
Architect
MARSS

MacACAD | Linkedin

Etiquette and Ground Rules of Autodesk Community
Message 5 of 14

As a test, create a custom sheet size with the reverse orientation; ARCHC is 18x24, so create a custom 24x18 sheet. See if the problem goes away.

AutoROTATE is a function you need to turn on/off in the driver or on the plotter: find it, I suspect it's key to your problem. Visit HP's support forums if needed to find out where or if it's there.
Message 6 of 14

Could be.  I tried saving on PDF and then print from that file and the same issues showes up.  I also tried to batch publish in PDF and most of the notes on the drawing (leader notes ant MText notes) will print on top of the existing notes in a different format.  Looks like Mac doesn't like AutoCad PDF converter either.

Message 7 of 14

Good Idea, so I did change the orientation on the drawing on the AutoCad page itself (I put it on its short side) but to no avail.

I went through the whole plotter menue to find the autorotate function, no joy either.  I'll look into more discussions on the web.  We'll see how it goes. 

Message 8 of 14

About "double text" issue: you can set system variable EPDFSHX=0, than double text will not appear in PDF output.

Maxim

Maxim Kanaev
Architect
MARSS

MacACAD | Linkedin

Message 9 of 14

Thanks Maxim, Batch printing is now up and running as advertised.

J-Yves

Message 10 of 14

Speaking of system variables, is there one I should know about for the rotation of the print?

Message 11 of 14

AFAIK AutoCAD cannot control plotter software, there is no such system variable.

Maxim

Maxim Kanaev
Architect
MARSS

MacACAD | Linkedin

Message 12 of 14

Dean, I think I know now what you meant.  Instead of working on the screen, I went to the page set up manager and created the custom page as you said.  Looks funny on the screen, but it seems to have fixed the problem for now....

Thank you all for your help.  I actually killed two birds on this one.

Cheers!!

Jean-Yves

Message 13 of 14

Hi @jean-yves.taschereau,

On HP Designjet T2300, I see the setup for the paper rotation, and i assume you can find it too. It is in the print dialog, select "Finishing" in the dropdown. So you don't have to create all custom paper sizes.

Screen Shot 2017-03-23 at 5.15.39 PM.png

Thanks,
Wei

Wei Ma
AutoCAD for Mac QA Manager

Message 14 of 14
ryankevin1201
in reply to: maxim_k

It is not wise to print from a PDF in the engineering world. Straight from AutoCAD to a plotter always yields the most efficient print. I'm guessing OP is operating under this assumption.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost