AutoCAD for Mac Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD for Mac Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD for Mac topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How can I embed a PNG file into a drawing?

5 REPLIES 5
SOLVED
Message 1 of 6
jau827
1714 Views, 5 Replies

How can I embed a PNG file into a drawing?

I am attempting to have a PNG image embedded in one of my drawings so that I can send it to someone without having the need to attach the PNG file in the same folder. My search for the answers on how to do such a thing on the macOS version of ACAD has yielded few results and I'm beginning to think that one cannot actually do it? 

I found this this link, but when I follow the steps and right click on the PNG reference there is no "Bind" option, just attach, which I think is just attaching the file path. 

Thanks for the help. 

Tags (2)
5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
maxim_k
in reply to: jau827

Hi,

In AutoCAD for Mac you can not embed raster images as you can do in AutoCAD for Windows. It is OS specific limitation.

Maxim

Do you find the posts helpful? "LIKE" these posts!
Have your question been answered successfully? Click 'ACCEPT SOLUTION' button.

Maxim Kanaev
Architect
MARSS

MacACAD | Linkedin

Etiquette and Ground Rules of Autodesk Community
Message 3 of 6
jau827
in reply to: maxim_k

Oh okay, thanks, any idea if this is being worked on for future updates of AutoCAD?

Message 4 of 6
maxim_k

No, this will not work, never. Because AutoCAD for Windows uses OLE for this and OLE technology is not available (and will not be available) in MacOS, as it is OS specific function.
Well, maybe in future if Apple will implement something like OLE,
embedding images could be possible.
Maxim

Maxim Kanaev
Architect
MARSS

MacACAD | Linkedin

Message 5 of 6
adamraabe

Thank you for this! I spent a lot of time trying to understand this limitation.

I'm wondering if anyone has any best practices for embedding images in DWG files when they are going to be shared back and forth between Mac and Windows users? I'm new to AutoCAD (using AutoCAD for Mac LT) and this is my first post on this forum, so hopefully it isn't a terrible question. I did search the forum a bit and this was the most interesting link I could find: https://forums.autodesk.com/t5/autocad-for-mac-forum/ole-visibility-in-autocad-autocad-lt-2021-for-m... 

But what I'm really hoping for is a simple, hopefully error-proof, workflow. It's ok if it involves sending a DWG file along with a folder of associated files. I just want to be sure it's going to work cross-platform so that my Mac DWG files are opening up properly on Windows, and perhaps older versions of AutoCAD on Windows as well.

Any help/links to knowledge-base articles/videos/etc. would be greatly appreciated as I'm just starting my AutoCAD learning journey (after years of putting if off, haha!)

Thank you for any help!

Adam  

Message 6 of 6
maxim_k
in reply to: adamraabe

Hi @adamraabe ,

Because embedding bitmaps into a DWG file is not available on the Mac, the best practice for sharing with PC users would be attaching images as external references with IMAGEATTACH command.

To Attach an Image

When it comes to transferring (sharing) DWG files, you can use the ETRANSMIT command to create a set of drawings and dependency files into one unit for sharing.

Maxim Kanaev
Architect
MARSS

MacACAD | Linkedin

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost