AutoCAD for Mac Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD for Mac Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD for Mac topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Graphic Scale for Printing- Autocad Mac

17 REPLIES 17
SOLVED
Message 1 of 18
cameron.nicholson96
1411 Views, 17 Replies

Graphic Scale for Printing- Autocad Mac

Hi Ladies and Gents,

I wonder if anyone can help. I am producing a drawing to a company which I wish to include a graphic scale bar, however I don't really know how to do this. If possible I would like it to be dynamic with the view port. As you can see by the screen shot I am not scaled to a standard size 0.026649 which I have put as 1:26(A3). Please ignore the scale on the sheet, I am using a template, that scale doesn't even have options the change the factor. I have read quite a few articles, threads and watched a few video's but still haven't had any luck, so the more detail (step by step if possible) the better, I would greatly appreciate any help.

Thanks

Cameron

Screen Shot 2016-12-01 at 1.31.30 am.png

I am a beginner in AutoCAD and ask a lot of questions to maximise and expand my knowledge
17 REPLIES 17
Message 2 of 18

Hi @cameron.nicholson96,

I just found your post and i apologize for the late response. Have you figured out how to add the scale? It looks like you have in the image you posted. If not, please tell me in greater detail how you are having problems inserting a scale.

John Vellek

Join the Autodesk Customer Council - Interact with developers, provide feedback on current and future software releases, and beta test the latest software!

Autodesk Knowledge Network | Autodesk Account | Product Feedback
Message 3 of 18

Hi John,

Thank you for the reply. Unfortunately I was never able to figure it out. The scale that you see in the screenshot came with the template and in no way references my drawing. 

If possible I would like to make a dynamic that changes with the view port. As you can see by the screen shot I am not scaled to a standard size 0.026649 which I have put as 1:26(A3).

Thanks 

Cameron 

I am a beginner in AutoCAD and ask a lot of questions to maximise and expand my knowledge
Message 4 of 18

Hi @cameron.nicholson96,

I am sorry for my late reply as I was out of the office last week. The way I typically add a scale bar in a drawing is to place it in modelspace. I make it annotative and assign it the appropriate scales I want it to be shown in my viewport.

So, for an example, I created a sample scale bar in modelspace. I made it using simple geometry and placed it on layer 0. The text I used is NOT annotative. I turned it all into an Annotative block and then assigned scales of 1:1 and 1:40  to it.

Screen Shot 2017-01-12 at 11.13.57 AM.pngScreen Shot 2017-01-12 at 11.11.57 AM.png

I have attached a sample drawing for you to examine.  

Please select the Accept as Solution button if my post solves your issue or answers your question.

John Vellek

Join the Autodesk Customer Council - Interact with developers, provide feedback on current and future software releases, and beta test the latest software!

Message 5 of 18

Hi @cameron.nicholson96,

I am checking back to see if my post helped you create your own graphic scale. Please let me know your status in a post.

John Vellek

Message 6 of 18

Hi John,

Thank you for the reply. I apologise I saw your reply on my phone and completely forgot to look when I got back to my computer. This is exactly what I needed to know how to do. Could you please explain how you make annotative blocks? 

Thanks

Cameron

Message 7 of 18

Hi @cameron.nicholson96,

If you are familiar with making regular blocks, the only difference is to check the Annotative box. (shown in my post #4). You don't want to have annotative text in the block though - just keep the text set to a non-annotative text style.

If you need more help just let me know. If you want to upload a drawing file with the geometry for your scale, I can create a screencast on how to make it an annotative block.

John Vellek

Message 8 of 18

Hi @cameron.nicholson96,

Did you get the scale built? If you are stuck, please attach your file and I can take a look for you and make some suggestions.

John Vellek

Message 9 of 18

Hi John,

Thank you for your help. I have been meaning to get back to you however I wanted to practice. I've gotten the hang of making scale bars but I have sort of forgotten how they work, I printed the attached drawing on a A4 piece of and it came out 1:1 besides having the viewport as 1:40. What have I done wrong?

Thanks

Cameron 

Message 10 of 18

Hi @cameron.nicholson96,

When I inserted your block it didn't prompt me for a scale! So, I exploded it and it appears that you had your block within a block. This block appears to work properly.

Give it another try. I would also suggest that you use a Solid hatch in your scale graphic instead of the line pattern.

Kudos to you  - looks good on my end!

Please select the Accept as Solution button if my post solves your issue or answers your question.

John Vellek

Message 11 of 18

Hi @cameron.nicholson96,

Have you re-visited this? Did you try exploding your block to find your actual block definition there?

Please let me know if you need additional assistance on this.

John Vellek

Message 12 of 18

Hi John,

Sorry I didn't get back to you yesterday. How do I explode the block to check if I have block within a block? This is the first time I've used blocks.

When I get a spare 5 minutes I may make a screencast so you can see where I went wrong.

Thanks

Message 13 of 18

Hi @cameron.nicholson96,

Lots of questions is good - that is the way you learn.

To explode the block, simply type Explode, select the block and hit a return.

John Vellek

Message 14 of 18

Hi @cameron.nicholson96,

Did you finally get this to work? I would love to get this marked as the solution because it will mean we got things to work for you. If it still isn't behaving, add a post and let me know your status.

John Vellek

Message 15 of 18

Hi John

Apologies for the late reply. I have made a screen recording to show you how I make the graph, then maybe you can see if I am making any mistakes. I have put the video on my google drive because I have done some editing to the video. Sorry if the video is a tad messy, it's 3 am here.

Video: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B4X_mhTD40dMeUxCelQyZjA3bzg/view?usp=sharing

Also I have attached the DWG that was used in the video.

Thanks for all your help, I do really appreciate it.

Thanks 

Cameron

Message 16 of 18

Hi Cameron,

Take a look at the attached drawing. It contains a graphic scale that is set to annotative. To create it I did the following:

• I set units to millimeters.
  • I created the geometry for the scale.
  • I added the text using a non-annotative style with the insertion point set to bottom middle.
  • I created the block ( the only thing I did not check was the rotate to layout).
  • I then created a page setup to set the paper size at A4 with a scale of 1:1.
  • I then zoomed in at 1:40 and the block did not show up.
  • I switched back to modelspace, selected the block and added an annotative scale of 1:40.
  • Back to paperspace and there it was.

I hope this helps.

John Vellek

Message 17 of 18

Hi John,

Thank you for your help. Is this not what I did in my screen recording? If this is not what I have done in my screen recording would you kindly make a screencast so I can visually compare?

I have accepted a solution as I know this is very important to many that help here, however further confirmation on the above would be appreciated.

Thanks 

Message 18 of 18

Hi @cameron.nicholson96,

I am not sure why your's does not always behave properly.  When I inserted it into other drawings with layouts it performed most of the time but not all. The only thing I see that i did differently is to not check the rotation to match layout button.

John Vellek

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost