AutoCAD for Mac Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD for Mac Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD for Mac topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

enter is not working

9 REPLIES 9
Message 1 of 10
Anonymous
6137 Views, 9 Replies

enter is not working

In 2012 my enter button adjacent the number jeypad on my keyboard does not work. The space bar and return key still work fine.

Is this a variable? It worked fine on 2011

9 REPLIES 9
Message 2 of 10
maxim_k
in reply to: Anonymous

Hi John,

Not sure that there is a bug here.

I have the same issue with my alum keyboard.

But:

Return, Enter keys

On Apple's keyboards, there is the Return key on the main section, and there is a Enter key on the numeric keypad. These 2 keys send different signals.

On PC, both these keys are labeled “Enter”. These two Enter keys on PC send different key signals.

The difference between Apple and PC here is probably just labeling.

Return/Enter key-action's Convention on Mac

On the Mac, the Return key and the Enter key usually serve the same purpose, but sometimes different. For example, in Mathematica since at least version 2 (early 1990s), the Return key is used to insert a line break, but the Enter is used to execute the code in the current cell (Shift+Return does the same). On many chat clients such as Adium and Colloquy (IRC client), user can set it up in so that the Return will insert a line break while the Enter key will send out the message.

So, maybe in 2012 these keys are separated now too?

Maxim

Do you find the posts helpful? "LIKE" these posts!
Have your question been answered successfully? Click 'ACCEPT SOLUTION' button.

Maxim Kanaev
Architect
MARSS

MacACAD | Linkedin

Etiquette and Ground Rules of Autodesk Community
Message 3 of 10
Anonymous
in reply to: maxim_k

All this is not ideal really. I tend to enter co-ordinates, etc on the number keypad then flick the enter key. movng back from the number keypad to hit return or space is wasting those precious milliseconds we all strive for.

Message 4 of 10
ericechols85

I noticed this too. I would at least like the option to use the keypad 'enter' key to execute commands.

Message 5 of 10
mdsarc
in reply to: ericechols85

I am having the same issue in our office with the enter key. It is a big problem for us because everyone types in dimensions using the key pad on the right and then hits the adjacent enter key. This worked fine on the 2011 release...I don't know why it is an issue with 2012. I agree with ericechlos85, there at least needs to be an option to fix this...it kills efficiency.

Message 6 of 10
Anonymous

The numeric keys enter worked on every beta of AutoCAD 2012, but it doesn't work on the final version. This is strange and disappointing.

This is terrible... Hope AutoDesk solve this soon.

Message 7 of 10
Anonymous

And all the rest of the other little niggles too. I've been unable to use 2012 since it has been released and am still battling away against 2011 to get my drawings done. It really is a very poor effort from Autodesk.

Message 8 of 10
Anonymous

I realised that whenever one wish to repeat the previous command we can use the enter key (the one on the number pad) as we use the return key, the space key or the right mouse button. Although we cannot use it to enter a new comand after writting it's alias, meaning, we cannot use the enter key when we have something written on our command line.

I was trying this new released to decide whether or not to updated my autoCAD, but given this issue I am not willing to until the "problem" is solved, or at least we are given the option to use the number pad enter key as we use the return key.

I will be looking forward to have this issue solved.

Best Regards,

João Fernandes

Message 9 of 10
geoff28L7M

This has been bugging me for ages - off and on problem

simple solution however = Turn off DYNMODE

the numeric pad enter then mimics the main enter key rather than the esc

hope that Helps 

Message 10 of 10
j.pechmann
in reply to: geoff28L7M

thank you!!!!!! this worked for me!

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report