AutoCAD for Mac Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD for Mac Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD for Mac topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

DWF

7 REPLIES 7
SOLVED
Message 1 of 8
Anonymous
872 Views, 7 Replies

DWF

I downloaded the 30 day free trial to make sure this program will do what I need. I have a client sending me a DWF file that I need to open through Autocad so that I can draw accurate scale of furniture in the floor plan. Can I do this with the free trial? It will not allow me to open a DWF, only DWG files.

7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8
rkmcswain
in reply to: Anonymous

I think you've stumbled upon one of the many features that are in the AutoCAD for Windows, but not in AutoCAD for Mac. In AutoCAD for Windows you can attach a DWF as a reference file.

R.K. McSwain     | CADpanacea | on twitter
Message 3 of 8
Anonymous
in reply to: rkmcswain

Okay so if I had a windows computer I could open up a dwf file that was sent to me and draw to scale furniture in the floor plan? With the trial auto cad or the purchased auto cad? I just bought a brand new Mac so I am trying to decide if I need to take it back now.
Thank you for your help
Message 4 of 8
rkmcswain

The Windows version of AutoCAD allows you to attach a DWF file as a reference. At that point, you could draw on top of those entities.

You could use a 3rd party service like this, and convert the DWF to DWG, which your MAC version will open of course.

R.K. McSwain     | CADpanacea | on twitter
Message 5 of 8
pendean

Trial versions of AutoCAD (win and MAC) are fully functional for 30-days, no limit on abilities.

And if you subscribe to AutoCAD (there is no buying a license, you just rent), you are free to jump between MAC and Win versions as you see fit for no extra $$ you do know you can run Windows on your MAC, right? Look it up at Apple's website).

HTH

Message 6 of 8
majedworks1234
in reply to: rkmcswain

I have a Mac, and am using AutoCad 2025. I have a numch of DWF files that I have and I used the 3rd party service you linked in to convert DWF to DWG. However, even with the new DWG file, whenever I try opening it with AutoCad it says, "Drawing file is not valid". What do you think this means? How can I fix this?

Message 7 of 8
maxim_k
in reply to: majedworks1234

Hi @majedworks1234 ,

@majedworks1234 wrote:

... However, even with the new DWG file, whenever I try opening it with AutoCad it says, "Drawing file is not valid". What do you think this means? How can I fix this?

Looks like this online converter cannot produce valid DWG files from DWF files.

Can you share an example of DWF file you are trying to convert?

Do you find the posts helpful? "LIKE" these posts!
Have your question been answered successfully? Click 'ACCEPT SOLUTION' button.

Maxim Kanaev
Architect
MARSS

MacACAD | Linkedin

Etiquette and Ground Rules of Autodesk Community
Message 8 of 8
jezzydoh

are you able to share the dwf file? one of us might be able to convert it properly on our end and send you a valid dwg. also, what version of autocad are you using exactly? sometimes the converter has issues with newer versions.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Technology Administrators

Autodesk Design & Make Report