AutoCAD for Mac Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD for Mac Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD for Mac topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dimensioning Help in AutoCAD for Mac

6 REPLIES 6
Message 1 of 7
Anonymous
469 Views, 6 Replies

Dimensioning Help in AutoCAD for Mac

Hi,

Im only new to autocad and computers so don't understand much of the lingo. I'am trying to dimension my drawing but cannot get the numbers to appear so im not sure if i have set up autocad properly on my mac or its just me. Cheers

@Anonymous, 

john.vellek has edited your subject line for clarity: Help

6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
beyoungjr
in reply to: Anonymous

Hi, A couple of things to note...

You are very vague and you seem to be asking how to do something with little or no study at all.  It is very difficult to jump right in and tell you the entire realm of dimensioning.  If you have not looked at some online video content or a light reference guide yet then I recommend you start there.

You are running on a Mac so good luck finding a lot of content for lessons on the Mac version.  There's stuff out there but it's not as prevalent as Windows lessons.  The 2017 Mac version is closer than ever to the Windows version so if you are running 2017 you should be a little better.

I'm going to be blunt with this... Forums are not a place to come in and ask questions like "How do I draw a line?" or How can I dimension?"  You should seek help in the forums after you have looked at instructional materials and you have problems after attempting things based on fundamentals.

It's an opinion and it's only mine.  Please don't take offense.  Take an opportunity to view some content and try to word your questions a bit more pointed.

Good luck in your study.

Blaine Young
Senior Engineering Technician, US Army

Message 3 of 7
Vinayv4v

Hi,

Just set your dimension scale a little bit larger. 

D (Dimension style)

Under the fit option just increase the scale.

Dim fit.png

Or Just Create a text style which will match your drawing scale before creating the dimension style.

As you are new to autocad I recommend you to get training from an ATC or

from https://academy.autodesk.com/student-expert-network  (e-learning) the basics first.

Cheers,

Vinay Vijayakumaran

Message 4 of 7
TheCADnoob

one pitfall you may likely to experience if you are green is to have annotative dimensions and not be in the proper scale. you can try toggeling (switching the variable from 0 to 1 etc.) ANNOALLVISIBLE https://knowledge.autodesk.com/support/autocad/learn-explore/caas/CloudHelp/cloudhelp/2016/ENU/AutoC...

If this makes them show up you need to read up on annotation and scale to understand your problem. 

CADnoob

EESignature

Message 5 of 7
john.vellek

Hi @Anonymous,

The appearance of your dimension elements are controlled in a dimension style. If you would like to attach a sample file I am happy to look at the existing style to make recommendations.  As others have pointed out, dimensions are a big topic and there are lots of little nuances to how they get set up and utilized.

Please select the Accept as Solution button if my post solves your issue or answers your question.

John Vellek

Join the Autodesk Customer Council - Interact with developers, provide feedback on current and future software releases, and beta test the latest software!

Autodesk Knowledge Network | Autodesk Account | Product Feedback
Message 6 of 7
john.vellek

Hi @Anonymous,

I am checking back to see if my post or others helped you with your problem. Please add a post with how you decide to proceed and your results so other Community members may benefit.

Please hit the Accept as Solution button if a post or posts solves your issue or answers your question.

John Vellek

Join the Autodesk Customer Council - Interact with developers, provide feedback on current and future software releases, and beta test the latest software!

Autodesk Knowledge Network | Autodesk Account | Product Feedback
Message 7 of 7
paul.hermans
in reply to: beyoungjr

Sorry to disagree. If the "instructional material" was worth a darn these questions wouldn't be so common. It is hard to even know where to get help with AutoCad's convoluted websites and multiple sites/forums etc.   It takes forever to figure anything out because it is a challenge to fine useful tutorials for beginners that don't assume you know how to do things, or where to find commands. Most of the help is on the order of:

"... click the draw line tool to draw a line..."  or something stupid like that. If I knew were the draw line tool was I wouldn't need to be told to click it.  

Just my $0.02 worth.

Paul

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost