AutoCAD for Mac Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD for Mac Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD for Mac topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AutoCAD Mac 2020 seems unstable

10 REPLIES 10
SOLVED
Message 1 of 11
wbacon
899 Views, 10 Replies

AutoCAD Mac 2020 seems unstable

I am running a 30 day free trial of AutoCAD 2020 on a MacBook Pro running Catalina. I would dearly love to get rid of the Windows machine that I have needed to run AutoCAD. However the program locks up in various conditions (details below), It was suggested to me by an AutoCAD sales rep that Catalina is new and AutoCAD hasn't fully adjusted. Is this true? Is there an update coming soon?

I'm at the 15 day mark on the 30 day trial, and in this condition I certainly can't make the switch.

MacBook Pro Early 2015, 8 gB RAM, Catalina 10.15.2

AutoCAD for Mac v Q.46.M.184

2 Crashes today:

Saving a block to disk with wblock. In the "Browse for Drawing File" dialog to pick a name for saving the block, I click save, and the dialog becomes grayed out. The file doesn't get saved, and the cancel button is non functional. Switching to a different program (ie open a finder window) and then back to AutoCAD restores the dialog to the state it was in before I clicked save. But the cancel button doesn't work, so there's no way out short of force quit.

In the layer state manager if I select an existing layer state and then select edit in the drop-down menu next to + and -, I get an eternal spinning color wheel. No way out short of force quit.

10 REPLIES 10
Message 2 of 11
s.borello
in reply to: wbacon

Of course it does...Windows is better for AutoCAD.  There is a MAC forum where you may get more attention. 

Message 3 of 11
pendean

You are in the wrong forum, the MAC versions have a dedicated forum over here https://forums.autodesk.com/t5/autocad-for-mac/ct-p/4051

That is old hardware you have there too.

You can also let Autodesk know about your issues over there https://www.autodesk.com/company/contact-us/product-feedback
Message 4 of 11
wei503

Catalina is supported for AutoCAD Mac 2020, with update 2020.1 update. You can click menu AutoCAD 2020 > Check for updates to get the download info. If you do not see notification banner shows up when click Check for updates, please check if you have disallowed AutoCAD notification in the system preference panel.

Wei Ma
AutoCAD for Mac QA Manager

Message 5 of 11
maxim_k

Welcome to Autodesk Forums!

Hi Wells,

Do you have such problems in all drawings you tried or only in one?
I still have not upgraded from Mojave to Catalina (MacBook Pro Retina, 15-inch, Late 2013) and I didn't have issues you described.
If it is only for specific drawing - can you share it here?

Do you find the posts helpful? "LIKE" these posts!
Have your question been answered successfully? Click 'ACCEPT SOLUTION' button.

Maxim Kanaev
Architect
MARSS

MacACAD | Linkedin

Etiquette and Ground Rules of Autodesk Community
Message 6 of 11
wbacon
in reply to: wei503

Thanks for this suggestion. I have enabled notifications for AutoCAD in the system Notifications panel. Nonetheless, when I click the AutoCAD 2020/Check for updates menu, I get no response. Nothing shows up on the screen indication it's looking, or that it has checked.

Message 7 of 11
wbacon
in reply to: pendean

On my screen, it says I am in the AutoCAD for Mac forum.

Message 8 of 11
wbacon
in reply to: maxim_k

The two crashes I described occur with any drawing. I created a new file and drew 2 lines. I also tried it with an older drawing from the archives. The crashes both happen every time regardless of the drawing.

Message 9 of 11
pendean

We had your post moved to the correct forum.
Message 10 of 11
maxim_k

Hi Wells,

AutoCAD for Mac 2020.1 Update is over here:
https://knowledge.autodesk.com/support/autocad-for-mac/downloads/caas/downloads/content/autocad-for-...
try to install it and test your drawings.

Do you find the posts helpful? "LIKE" these posts!
Have your question been answered successfully? Click 'ACCEPT SOLUTION' button.

Maxim Kanaev
Architect
MARSS

MacACAD | Linkedin

Etiquette and Ground Rules of Autodesk Community
Message 11 of 11
wbacon
in reply to: maxim_k

Thank you for the link to the update.

It solved both of the crashes I was experiencing.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Technology Administrators

Autodesk Design & Make Report