AutoCAD for Mac Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD for Mac Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD for Mac topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AutoCAD LT for Macbook Pro

5 REPLIES 5
Message 1 of 6
hasan_rizvi007
1335 Views, 5 Replies

AutoCAD LT for Macbook Pro

Hi Everyone!

I'm aerospace engineering student, due to my projects and assignments I am thinking to buy a Macbook pro 2016 non touch bar model. I just want to confirm from any expert/ power user here that can I run AutoCAD (Student version) 2014,15,16 or 17 smoothly on Macbook pro 2016?

Any suggestions would be appreciated! 🙂

Macbook Pro 2016 Specs:

• 2.0GHz dual-core Intel Core i5 processor, Turbo Boost up to 3.1GHz
  • 8GB 1866MHz memory
  • 256GB PCIe-based SSD
  • Intel Iris Graphics 540
  • 13 inch (No Touch bar)

P.S: Please mention minimum system requirements as well if these don't meet the standards. Thank you!

5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6

Hi @hasan_rizvi007,

I see that you are visiting as a new member. Welcome to the Autodesk Community!

Please tell me, are you planning on running the Mac version or the Windows version in a Bootcamp partition or in Parallels. I will move your post accordingly so that you might obtain more responses.

John Vellek

Join the Autodesk Customer Council - Interact with developers, provide feedback on current and future software releases, and beta test the latest software!

Autodesk Knowledge Network | Autodesk Account | Product Feedback
Message 3 of 6

Hi John!

I appreciate your quick response to my post. I am planning to use the Mac version but I have doubts regarding system requirement. What you suggest? Is bootcamp version better or mac version?

Message 4 of 6

Hi @hasan_rizvi007,

I will move this thread to the AutoCAD for Mac forum for you.

I have read that a new Macbook Pro release is imminent with a considerable amount of RAM (64 GB I believe). I think you should research that option as 8GB is less than optimal in my opinion.

As far as version, I suggest that when you pick up your Macbook, if you have a Windows OS license, you install it on a Bootcamp partition. Then, install a Windows version of AutoCAD LT on that partition and also install a Mac version  of AutoCAD LT so you can compare. (trial versions are here)

While files are compatible between platforms, the applications do have a different look and feel and do not have a true feature to feature match. Check this page for a comparison matrix.

I run both versions on my Macbook and I like both but I think you need to see which will work the best for you and your workflow.

Please select the Accept as Solution button if my post solves your issue or answers your question.

John Vellek

Join the Autodesk Customer Council - Interact with developers, provide feedback on current and future software releases, and beta test the latest software!

Message 5 of 6
pendean
in reply to: hasan_rizvi007

Q: is your school really only considering plain AutoCAD for your aerospace engineering education? I'd double-check, that seems like the wrong software to me, the equivalent of using a mallet for fine wood working class.
Message 6 of 6

Hi @hasan_rizvi007,

I am checking back to see if my post helped you with your problem or if you need additional assistance or information. Please add a post with how you decide to proceed and your results so other Community members may benefit.

Please hit the Accept as Solution button if my post fully solves your issue or answers your question.

John Vellek

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost