AutoCAD for Mac Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD for Mac Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD for Mac topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AutoCAD for MAC user? Give them your feedback

140 REPLIES 140
Message 1 of 141
pendean
7376 Views, 140 Replies

AutoCAD for MAC user? Give them your feedback

@ShaanHurley: Have You Tried or Use #AutoCAD for Mac? The Team would like your feedback. http://t.co/kU1FkxGSHh
140 REPLIES 140
Message 121 of 141
Anonymous
in reply to: pendean

AutoCAD for MAC, looking for finite element modelling app. I currently use AutoCAD 2014 on my lap-top (MacBook Pro 2013) and as I have up and comming coursework involving FEM I want to start getting to grips with it along side AutoCAD. I noticed that there is a Building Design Suite which I dont think works on MAC OS X. I would like to use this option without installing additional Windows software if possible, can anyone suggest a solution or another option to undertake FEM with my lap-top? 

Thanks Marcus

Message 122 of 141
Anonymous

Horrible. Both myself and my classmate are experiencing the exact same issue. Regardless of what I am trying to do the entire program crashes after no more than a minute of use. I have tried all solutions I could find without success. Give me something that will actually work.

Message 123 of 141
Anonymous

I have MAC RETINA 13". Before I had a lot of bugs and screen bugs with the old versions. With Autocad Mandalore, it's just perfect, for the moment i haven't a bug everything work perfectly. 

Message 124 of 141
davidv37
in reply to: Anonymous

The solution I found for preventing AutoCAD for Mac crashing (with Yosemite) was to go to Preferences in AutoCAD, OpenGL and UNcheck Activate Open GL Core profile. That did it for me.

Oh and DONT install El Capitan. That seems to have its own set of bugginess.

Message 125 of 141
nh0c.nicolas94

I've just tried autocad for mac 2016 ( student verified ) and realize it's slower than the 2015 version when i observe the same file. I tried to cofigure two version as same as each other.
Can anybody give me a hint ?
I attached my specs and configure below
Thank you.Ảnh chụp Màn hình 2015-11-26 lúc 18.33.01.pngẢnh chụp Màn hình 2015-11-26 lúc 18.33.10.png

Message 126 of 141
Anonymous

I used AutoCAD for PC for many years, but it was about 4 years ago when I stopped doing any drafting. Now I am back to using AutoCAD, but have the MAC version. I'm not sure how much of my frustration has to do with not having used ACAD for so long, and how much is the transition to the MAC, but I am having to search the forum and help menus constantly.  The two things that are making me crazy right now are:

1. When I am moving objects using the shift key to select multiple objects, the UCS keeps shifting, rotating. I just want it to stay in the HOME position all the time, as I am not doing any 3D work right now.

2. I cannot find a way to dock my toolbars in the ACAD application window. I would like to be ablet to have the same work environment every time I open up ACAD. 

Thanks if you can help!

Message 127 of 141
davidv37

Just for interest, the recent updates to el capitan seem tyo have cured the crashing even with activate open core GL on.

Fortunately I havent had the problems that madriverstudio is experiencing. My toolbars remain docked in the same place from one session to another and I havent had an issue with the ucs shifting. Have you tried ucsman ?

Message 128 of 141
roblye

Hi All

Well I downloaded the AutoCAD LT 2016 for Mac yesterday on the 30 day trial and used it today to create a drawing for one of my jobs. ( I am a chartered civil/structural engineer with over 40 years experience, nearly 20 dabbling with AutoCAD).

I will admit to not being a proper CAD technician but can find my way around it enough for the small projects I do, mainly domestic alterations.

I was using it for around four hours today with no crashes or unexplained lock ups or glitches.

So for me its working although I have a few oddities I need to address.

1. Not sure I like the floating toolbars, much prefer them locked top and sides like the Windows version, easier for a numty like me.
  2. Bit of a problem setting up viewports but Im not sure about those at the best of times.
  3. Trying to work out how to import my standard drawing sheets into paper space as templates. (totally confused)
  4. Want to set up toolbars (palettes?) to stay in the same postion so they are there when I open it again.

For reference i am running it on an iMac 21.5" with 8Gb RAM 3.06ghz CPU. Dual screen using an Apple 27" cinema display (not thunderbolt). Most annoying thing is when it loads having to drag every palette over onto the big screen rather than they all come over together.

Oh and I'm running it under El Capitan

Wondering if its worth trying out the Windows version in Parallels?

Anyway thats it off to read a few posts.

Rob

Message 129 of 141
dr.palmer
in reply to: richardasampson

Install Mavricks on one of the 3 other drives in your macpro. install Acad, update Acad, use Acad.

Message 130 of 141
davidv37
in reply to: roblye

Personally I'd stay clear of parallels with autocad. I tried it and although I still have it I dont use it. Once you get the hang of the mac version especially with 2016 it is much easier and takes upm far less of your screen.

The Autocad for Mac programme has been optimized for the high res of the mac screens. If you try and use windows version through parallels you will be teraing your hair out trying to get text and toolbars to the right size, The autocad solution is to reduce your resolution to about 1600 pixels thus negating 75% of your cinema display. Duh!

You can get the palettes to lock in place and dock them where you want by clicking on the little dot top right of each palette and move it where you want. It will then stay in place and be there when you restart Autocad or open another drawing.

Viewports? just click on View then viewports and select 1,2,3 or whatever you want. Draw the viewport rectangle (you can do a polygonal viewport too) to the size you want and as many as you want. Click in the viewport to change to model space and zoom into your drawing either to a scale eg z, 1/100xp right mouseclick and move the image to where you want. When youre satisfied lock the viewport by changing to paper space, click on the viewport, right mouseclick to open properties box, select Display locked and select yes. 

As far as templates go I would select a standard Autocad template at the scale and size you want, erase all the the lines and text and overlay your drawing sheet. When your comfortable with that you can experiment with other ways.

Hope that helps

Message 131 of 141
roblye
in reply to: davidv37

HI

Yea I think its about time I used the standard templates, my sheets date back a few years and they need updating.

Been having a few more plays and I guess as it gets more familiar the easier it becomes.

I really dont want to run a virtual window as I run my design software in parallels so having AutoCAD in Mac means I can have both lots of software running simutaneouly over my two screens.

Thanks for the reply.

Message 132 of 141
roblye
in reply to: roblye

Well its still going well with no hiccups from the way I use it.

Looks like I'll be subscribing once my free trial is up.

Used a few others but familiarity sways it for me.

Just make sure its developed in parallel with the Windows version and doesnt become a poor relation always a few steps behind.

Message 133 of 141
betazero

The Autocad for MAC version 2016 still needs help. Its in the best state it has been in so far with dynamic block editing and all but there are still some important things that need to be fixed before I feel its ready for professinal use. I am a 25+ year CAD user and very experienced with Autocad.

1) Crashes a lot. Its definetely not as stable as the Windows version. Something is causing constant crashes. I have only tried it for two days and in its current state it is unusable professionally. For the ammount of money that is being charged for this software thats unacceptable. Stability has to be #1 priority.

2) The printing system is unuseable in it current state. Please use Autocads print system and not the Apple garbage version ( sorry I love most of you apple...but you make bad printing software and an unusable mouse ). We need PC3 file support. I tried printing a set from the current system and it takes as much time to make one page print as I can do 4-5 in the Windows version. Please make this super streamline just like the 2016 for PC version. 

3) Graphics performance. I can run Vmware Fusion with Autocad Architecture 2016 thru OSX and I have better graphics performance than Autocad for Mac. That truely should not be the case. I hope you can take advantage of Metal in OSX and boost the performance by 3-4 times the current state. The native Mac app has to be faster than a virtuallized app running thru two operating systems with half or less system resources at its disposal. I need to be able to pick a dynamic block and there has to be zero delay before I can do the next thing. Currently there is a small pause like maybe 1 second long before I can move or change its state. Also zooming in and out is much slower and even the cursors is jumpy and blinks a little. It feels like its just barely working and I have a top of the line Retina iMac.

4) The palletes need to be dockable and autohide. The minimize to an icon is not as good as being able to hit the side of the screen to pop out your palletes. Also the commandline should connect to the drawing window and be resizable. Add the basic on/off icons to this area since the commandline does not need to be very wide. Put the coordinates and everything there (like regular autocad for PC).  Having floating icons palettes and commandlines just gets annoying. Having everything connected and grounded feels better and is more organized.

Thats it and I hope to be uninstalling VMware Fusion very soon and purchasing Autocad for Mac 2017 ? I hope!

Thanks,

Russell

Message 134 of 141
betazero

Still has problems. I have been trying and hoping that I can use Autocad for Mac but I keep having to go back to my virtual Windows machine and using Autocad 2008 which is still way better than Autocad for Mac 2016.

Problems:

1) Crashes too much to make it usable. I am on update 3 and it will just crash at random times. Last 2 times I was exploding and drawing a line...lol

2) Palette need to just minimize to the same way it does in Autocad 2008 - 2016 for PC. The new icon way or constant palette that never minimizes is not good. It wasn't broken so don't fix it.

3) Reattach the command line to the bottom and put coordinates and any on/off switches there. Again a matter of it wasn't broke so don't fix it. The new floating way is just a pain. My drawing when maximized goes under this stuff and its just not nice.

4) Give more settings to turn things off like... The mouse over highlight, the dragging window color thing, etc... 

5) Fix the handling of truetype fonts. When I zoom in and out they dance around...its really annoying and disruptive.

6) Responsiveness is just not there yet ( maybe 2020 we will reach 2008 level... ). There are small pauses and its just not as smooth as a virtualized version of the same program which should be way slower than a native running program.

Things I want and one problem for Autocad for windows programs

One problem with 2015 is that the program doesn't maximize at start and I have tried everything. I have to restore and then maximize to get it to work. This happens in Bootcamp and in a virtual Windows so its not that.

Please add this to all versions of Autocad

1) Add the ease of use of Sketchup push pull modeling to the #1 2D/3D CAD software! Not just the push push pull but being able to draw on surfaces and then push/pull them out. I know Autocad sorta has PP but when I go into 3D I want it to feel like I am sorta in Sketchup. Also the offset command and followme . Maybe just buy the program from Trimble? They are not doing anything good with it anyways. Make 3d work as easy as the 2d side has been for years 🙂 well on the PC side at least... (sorry for that dig... I really would love to be able to finally get rid of VMware Fusion)

Thanks,

Russell

Please Autocad for Mac team, if you have any questions you can ask me. I use Autocad all day long and I know what needs to be there for it to be a usable program.

Message 135 of 141
Anonymous

Thanks for the update.I am going to upgrade to El Capitan and i am using Autocad 2015.can i expect issues/(stupid question I know!)

Thank You,

RICK LIMERES
PROJECT MANAGER (818)564-5735
[cid:6FBD1EBE-AB25-47E9-9684-1AC000196C5A]

1501 Beach St. Montebello, CA. 90640
Toll free 800.422.9646|323.721.2929 x225|F323.721.2924
rick@academyinc.com | www.academyinc.com
Message 136 of 141
betazero

I am in El Capitan with a 2016 iMac retina 5k with 16 gigs of ram yada yada. 2016 Autocad for Mac has issues in my opinion. Issues that make it not usable professionally. You would be better off with VmWare Fusion and Autocad 2008 thru 2016 for PC. Any of those versions are better. I am trying the beta though and its very promising ( I have tried it for a total of 1 minute lol ) ! I signed an NDA so I can't say anything other than that. You should get in the beta and try it out.

Thanks,

Russell

Message 137 of 141
Anonymous
in reply to: betazero

Thanks for the input, Russ, I have been forewarned...

Thank you,
Rick Limeres, Project Manager
rick@academyinc.com
(818)564-5735 cell
Academy
1501 Beach St.Montebello,CA.90640
323-721-2929 ext.225
Message 138 of 141

I run AutoCAD Mac on my 2.8ghz 16GB Ram AMD Radeon R9 M370X 2GB rMBP.

I have experienced some crashes but not too many, granted there should be ZERO has stability is number 1, time is money for the pro's.

I would like to see the gap closed between Windows and Mac in terms of features. As a beginner you watch many tutorials, when people are using a particular feature in Widows that doesn't translate in Mac it's a tad frustrating. 

Also please allow us to import files other than .sat. The amount of times I've wanted to import .stl and can't is extremely frustrating. 

I don't want to run a virtual machine or utilise bootcamp. You buy a Mac for OS X and Apples Ecosystem not to install Windows.

I would also like to see more Autodesk products come to OS X, I am looking at studying Computer Aided Design and eventually Engineering, I am willing to buy a $6000+AUD Mac Pro (when they update it) so I can have a workstation but please open up your other products for Mac.

Thanks

I am a beginner in AutoCAD and ask a lot of questions to maximise and expand my knowledge
Message 139 of 141
ernani.aguilar

cad for for mac is great,

i been using previously a cad for mac 2016 for almost everyday, i draw a lot specially interior design drawings which are heavy files with layers, bloks and hatched and i dont encounetred any serious problems like files hanged shut down or anything.

Now i am on a beta version of cad 2017 naboo, many of serious bugs a re fixed for almost a month now and from that time till now for me this new release are getting better and better.

Message 140 of 141
Anonymous

Use 2016 on my old MacBook Pro running El Cap and would like to see Raster Design support on the AutoCAD Mac side.  Is it available?  If not, when might we see it supported?

Thank you for the good works ya'll do!

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost