AutoCAD for Mac Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD for Mac Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD for Mac topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AutoCAD for MAC user? Give them your feedback

140 REPLIES 140
Message 1 of 141
pendean
7341 Views, 140 Replies

AutoCAD for MAC user? Give them your feedback

@ShaanHurley: Have You Tried or Use #AutoCAD for Mac? The Team would like your feedback. http://t.co/kU1FkxGSHh
140 REPLIES 140
Message 61 of 141
cobbyegan
in reply to: LiBo89

It works sometimes and not others. This is what I do. Open both drawings at once. Hit command c on object to copy then go to other drawing and hit command p. will not work using auto cad copy command.

Sent from my iPhone
Message 62 of 141
LiBo89
in reply to: cobbyegan

Hi cobbyegan,

are you referring to my Problem with copying and pushing files?
It's not the drawing that don't work. I can close Autocad and then want to copy or push different files (any file type) in my finder from one folder to a second folder and that will not work. It just hangs on the curso with the red numbers and will not "fall" into the new position. Nor will it stop doing the command if I hit esc or go back to the origin folder. It seems like I then totally lost control of my Mac concerning files.
😞

Message 63 of 141
CCVV
in reply to: pendean

I'm using Autocad for Mac 2014 and I don't like it. I have also used Autocad 2014 in Windows. Windows version is way better, the Mac version is missing many commands that windows version has. Though you could still get your job done with Autocad for Mac your going to have to do your work the old way, like using Autocad version 2000. I recommend don't waste your money on Autocad for Mac at this time. Wait for the next 2 or 3 releases and then give it a test.

Thank you.

P.S. Save yourself the stress. I'm also surprised that I haven't seen negative comments on Autocad for Mac.

Message 64 of 141
dr.palmer
in reply to: CCVV

I found another benefit of AutoCad for Mac.

The additional AutoDesk 2000 symbols that I bought for my DOS box many years ago works with this version of AutoCad.

Drawings made in 1997 on the DOS box open with no problem.

This version is the newest beta..

Message 65 of 141
Qwerty_001

I have two frustrations with the program:

1. My CAD freezes a lot whenever I get to the final stages of my drawing files, mainly hatching and flipping between files. Sometimes restart helps, but I am losing hours of time, often under a deadline crunch, to the spinney rainbow. I wouldn't call these files large (none are over 1MB), most consist of 2-3 xrefs with some annotations and notes and a title block. Failry basic as far as the program is concerned. My section files are the worst, as they have several x-refs that are clipped and lots of hatching. Flipping between files to do simple edits can take hours, as just moving from one file to another can take 5 minutes.

2. Dynamic blocks...please, please add them to the next version.

I'm on an iMac, OS X 10.8.5 with AutoCAD LT 2013 for Mac. (I'm afraid to upgrade to Mavericks...)

Message 66 of 141
lwaters

I use AutoCAD 2014 on my MAC (MacBook Pro 13"), running Mavericks.  I used AutoCAD on Windows for years (still not very good at AutoCAD).  I like the Mac OS better, but I still have lots of thigns to get used to with the UI for AutoCAD 2014 for Mac.  

Right now I have a problem with printing to PDF and I can't seem to find an answer anywhere on the web.  I've spent about 3 hours today searching Google for info.  I tried calling my rep at AutoDesk to see if we have telephone support and I got an out of office message.  I can't find a good phone number for technical support and I couldn't even find a way to create a new question on this support website.  So right now, I'm pretty unhappy in general.  

Message 67 of 141
kingj3000

Hi,

I have read through this thread and a few people have mentioned the same issue I am having but I cant seem to find a clear answer...

I have 10.9 Mavericks and AutoCad 2014. I was using it yesterday until it crashed unexpectedly and now I cant open it without it crashing every time. I have installed SP1 and SP2. Whenever I log the crash report to Autodesk it just says I havent installed SP2. 

Not sure what to do! Need it back in action!

Thanks, 

Jess. 

Message 68 of 141
maxim_k

Welcome to Autodesk Forums!

Hi Jess,

Have you tried this:

http://macacad.wordpress.com/2014/03/16/new-way-to-reset-autocad-for-mac-settings-2014-version-with-...

Maxim

Do you find the posts helpful? "LIKE" these posts!
Have your question been answered successfully? Click 'ACCEPT SOLUTION' button.

Maxim Kanaev
Architect
MARSS

MacACAD | Linkedin

Etiquette and Ground Rules of Autodesk Community
Message 69 of 141
kingj3000
in reply to: maxim_k

Thanks Maxim, I just tried, but no luck. I have also tried uninstalling and re-installing.. still the same problem.

Message 70 of 141
maxim_k

Have you tried to restart your Mac?
Next step - to reset standalone license:

http://upandready.typepad.com/up_and_ready/2013/02/reset-standalone-licensing-on-the-mac.html

Next step - to create new user account with admin privileges and launch AutoCAD from this new account?

Maxim

Maxim Kanaev
Architect
MARSS

MacACAD | Linkedin

Message 71 of 141
kingj3000
in reply to: maxim_k

Thanks Maxim, this worked! Reset the license as per the instructions and its working fine now. Good to know.

Jess

Message 72 of 141
daniel.oconnor
in reply to: kingj3000

Two questions for Mac versions ...

First, brief background.  I use an iMac desktop computer and have both Macbook and Windows based laptops.  Currently, I use a Windows laptop exclusively for AutoCAD.  I am still using the ancient 2008 release of LT.  I am interested in transitioning to AutoCAD for Mac, so ... 

1) If I download the trial version and begin a document, and decide I decide to continue with my Windows platform for AutoCAD until LT is available for Mac, can I continue working on the document (if saved as a previous release) using my Windows AutoCAD LT platform without copyright issues?  I seem to remember student versions having a text border that printed stating the document was created on an educational version.  I would anticipate Autodesk would include a similar border stating the document was created on a trial version. 

2) Is there a version of LT for Mac available, yet?  Or an expected date of arrival?

Thank you, 

Daniel O'Connor

Message 73 of 141
maxim_k
in reply to: daniel.oconnor

Welcome to the Autodesk Forums!

Hello Daniel,

@daniel.oconnor wrote:

Two questions for Mac versions ...

1) If I download the trial version and begin a document, and decide I decide to continue with my Windows platform for AutoCAD until LT is available for Mac, can I continue working on the document (if saved as a previous release) using my Windows AutoCAD LT platform without copyright issues?  I seem to remember student versions having a text border that printed stating the document was created on an educational version.  I would anticipate Autodesk would include a similar border stating the document was created on a trial version. 

Yes, if you will save your drawing in 2008 DWG format you can continue to work on it on PC without any troubles. Trial version doesn't put any additional information to the file (water marks, etc.)

@daniel.oconnor wrote:

2) Is there a version of LT for Mac available, yet?  Or an expected date of arrival?

You can download AutoCAD LT for Mac trial here:

http://www.autodesk.com/campaigns/autocad-lt-sem-trial

Screen Shot 2014-08-12 at 19.24.44.png

Maxim

Maxim Kanaev
Architect
MARSS

MacACAD | Linkedin

Message 74 of 141
ontoks_2

Hi I'm an architecture student.
I'm thinking of buying a MacBook Pro retina 13". Does it works fine on Mac? I need your help guys.
Message 75 of 141
maxim_k
in reply to: ontoks_2

Welcome to the Autodesk Forums!

Hi,

MacBook Pro retina 13" will work for you.

Models with faster processor will work better for you: i5 with 2.8GHz will work better than with 2.6GHz and i7 with 3.0GHz - better than i5 with 2.8GHz.

8Gb RAM is enough, but I'd suggest 16 Gb model if you want to run a lot of applications at the same time.

Maxim

Maxim Kanaev
Architect
MARSS

MacACAD | Linkedin

Message 76 of 141
giambelluca
in reply to: ontoks_2

Hi Ontoks_2,

Your hardware is perfect! Don't purchase Autocad because is not made for Mac... and, I think, Autodesk probably has some secret agreement with Microsoft (I'm unkind...really?) because only in this way are explainable the reason of the not developement in Apple platform.... Anyway I must speak that is not a problem only for Autodesk but for the most of scientific software developers (ex. Structural finite elements analysis...). I don't know if this is a limit of the Apple computers or of the developers...

Chose Archicad... listen to me...or change your OS .... 😉

Eng. G. Giambelluca
Message 77 of 141
maxim_k
in reply to: giambelluca

@giambelluca wrote:

...Don't purchase Autocad because is not made for Mac... 

Not sure you are correct with this Maxim 😉

Maxim

Maxim Kanaev
Architect
MARSS

MacACAD | Linkedin

Message 78 of 141
dr.palmer
in reply to: giambelluca

Do you have a Mac? Which one? Do you use Acad for Mac? This is a Acad for Mac discussion.

Please give us some examples of problems/dislikes that you have experenced while using Acad for Mac.

M$ is in some kind of secret plot against Acad for Mac? Where did you get this from?

DP, User of Acad for Mac 2014

Message 79 of 141
lwaters
in reply to: dr.palmer

I have a Mac and have used AutoCAD on both platforms.  I prefer using my Mac for most things, AutoCAD is NOT one of them.  I'm using the current version for the Mac (2014 - full) and there are a lot of missing features.  The current rebirth of AutoCAD on the Mac has been designed specifically for the Mac and therefore there are some differences that one woudl expect, mostly with the UI.  However, if you've been using AutoCAD for a while already on Windows, I think there are a lot of considerations.  You should search Google for differences between AutoCAD for Windows and Mac, there are sites out there that discribe all of the feature differences.  If you're new to using CAD software, then some of these differences may not affect you as much.  I think over time Autodesk will work to minimize the differences between the platforms, at least from the feature perspective.  However, this re-release on the Mac has been around for several years (I want to say 2011) and there are still really simple problems that could/should have been fixed forever ago.

For example, on Windows, the user can customize their workspace.  Meaning, they can move their tool palettes around and customize their workspace.  This can be saved.  The user can have multiple different saved workspaces and freely switch between them.  This does not exist on the Mac at all.  On the Mac, the layout of the workspace is automatically saved each time the program is closed and the program tries to remember the layout and use it when the program is opened.  This doesn't work well at all.  I'm using a 2013 13" retina MacBook Pro and have an exteral Apple 27" Thunderbolt display.  Both of these displays are fairly high resolution and AutoCAD 2014 can't put the tools back where they shoudl go if my resolution on either device is set to anything higher than 2000 pixels in either direction.  The native resolution of my laptop screen is 2560 x 1600 and my external display is 2560 x 1440.  I opened a trouble ticket on this and I was told that AutoCAD was designed for a screen resolution of less than 2000 pixels.  REALLY?  CAD is one of the applications that you can benefit the most by having a high resolution display.  Apple has been using this resolution on their 27" displays since July 2010.  Autodesk has had plenty of time to incorporate support for this resolution.

Message 80 of 141
werkwerk

It would be great except it constantly crashes while doing simple tasks so I lose work and have to restart the highly unstable program. The result is very little progress.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost