cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

WDBLKNAM in the catalog database

WDBLKNAM in the catalog database

I would like to see either one of two things to allow multiple symbols to point to a subset of catalog items within a family-specific catalog database table during a lookup operation.

1. The WDBLKNAM field in family code tables should support a comma-delimited format. OR

2. The WDBLKNAM field in the family code tables should support windows wildcards in it's values or search (such as "*" or "?" characters within its value).

6 Comments
kevin_fitzgerald
Observer

I prefer option 2.

JeffatPrimex
Collaborator

The WDBLKNAM field is not for the user to mess with as far as I know it is used by the program to store the family code value based on the block name so it can allow the user to filter on. 

IMO the whole database structure should be scrapped and rebuilt with relationships and normalized instead of using wild cards and characters to establish many to one relationships. I thought the SQL version was going to accomplish this but instead it just duplicated the access database structure.

It's kind of sad really when you see the SQL based Vault product and this is all we get for electrical.

Best regards,

Jeff

RickFrance
Collaborator

WDBLKNAM does allow comma delimited entry but as Jeff said, it is for filtering not searching.

Anonymous
Not applicable

So, to further clarify my idea here... The idea is to be able to have multiple symbol file names able to map to a certain subset of part numbers (using the WDBLKNAM field in the db).

When I do a lookup on a component with no catalog information, it automatically filters by WDBLKNAM value = symbol file name (see below). 

I would like to be able to have symbols named in easily wildcarded formats such as ?PR1?_RLY-PS, ?PR11_RLY-*, etc. all to be able to lookup to the same subset of parts within a wider family in the db. That's where this idea stems from. If the WDBLKNAM field supported multiple values or wildcards, this could be easily accomplished.

-Arman

Anonymous
Not applicable

I posted an image... I don't know why it didn't show up in my above comment...

2019-12-10 08_17_30-Catalog Browser.png

JeffatPrimex
Collaborator

Have you tried to use the Symbol2D filed to search on this might work for you.

Symbol2d.PNG

Best regards,

Jeff

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Submit Idea  

Technology Administrators

AutoCAD Beta