cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Allow the same schematic terminal symbol to be shown multiple times

Allow the same schematic terminal symbol to be shown multiple times

Some customers like to show the same terminal 2, 3, or 4 times throughout their schematic for clarity.  For example, you have terminal TB1:5 on sheet 5 and you connect one wire to it, for a branch circuit.  The other side of the terminal is still available, and you could even connect a second wire to the same side.  But the circuit that you wat to connect to the other side is on sheet 7.  If you insert a terminal on sheet 7 it will automatically index up to number 6.  This is normally great, but in this case you want to connect to the other side of TB1:5.  If you override the software and change the 6 to a 5 the drawing will look the way you wish.  However, when you open Terminal Strip Editor, you will see two terminals labeled TB1:5, and your BOM will have an increased quantity reflecting the additional terminal number 5.  This of course is not what the customer was expecting.

I normally connect a second wire to TB1:5 and use a source/destination arrow combination to connect to the circuit on sheet 7.  This is what I call "Design Reality", because it accuraely reflects what I really want the panel shop to do. However, some customers think that this approach makes the drawing appear too busy, plus they don't want to flip back from sheet 7 to sheet 5 to see what terminal the wire came from.

So my idea is to allow a terminal to be shown multiple times, perhaps up to 4 times, since we can connect two wires to each side legally.  Do this by allowing the user to repeat the same terminal number and check a box labeled "Duplicate", next to the terminal number field (see attached image).  You might even think of it as designating this repeated terminal as a "child" of the first TB1:5.  The software interprets this to mean that this isn't a physical repeat of TB1:5 but a logical repeat of TB1:5.  Also allow the user to make Internal and External wiring assignments to these duplicates, so Terminal Strip Editor will display the wire annotations in the order desired.  But be sure that Terminal Strip Editor understands that these "duplicates" are still part of one physical block, so only show terminal 5 once in the graphical strip, but with up to two wire annotations per side.

26 Comments
janssen_l
Advocate
I'm not referring to multi-level terminals, if I have a terminal with 3 connection points (e.g. the Phoenix Contact "PT 2.5-TWIN") I want to show the three connections on different places / sheets.

This suggestion would also help in the case of showing the same side of a TB multiple times. For instance, Wago 2002-1401 has 2 connection points on each side, all sharing the same potential. I would like to show the field side twice (on the same page or elsewhere), one for each connection point.

jshubert5DQTL
Observer

Would be great if this could happen. The current work arounds for making multiple tiers just isn't very clean. This doesn't seem like a huge ask, just some more flexibility in the terminal footprint editor.

Multi-tier  already allows you to place a separate terminal per tier. In fact, I just insert a terminal and don’t even assign a part number. I wait until I’m laying out the panel and I use the Terminal Strip Editor to assign the part number.  I then designate which connection is which tier, via Terminal Strip Editor. The Terminal Strip Editor turn back annotates all of the schematic symbols, assigning part number and tier. I dedicate an entire section of my training course to show how to do this. 

i.zardini
Explorer

Good evening Doug

I have the same problem of jamorrison,

I m using Wago pluggable terminal block (code 870-101)  and I have no Idea how to represent it, because physically one side is a terminal block, other side is a receptacle.

The connector for the receptacle is part of a cable with it's own code, how can i represent this situation for having the TERMINAL BLOCK TABLE correct and also having the connector in the part list, It should be a sort of "therminal block fater, connector child" but as you suggest Terminal block "does not admit child" how I can solve the situation?

Thanks 

rhesusminus
Mentor

@i.zardini :

Switch to one of the many competitors of AutoCAD Electrical, that has solved this problems years ago.

This has been an issue for more than the 7-8 years since this wishlist item. More like 20+ years. I'm not expecting to see any fix for this with AutoCAD Electrical as we know it today.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Submit Idea  

Technology Administrators

AutoCAD Beta