AutoCAD Electrical Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD Electrical Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Electrical topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What advantage does the AutoCAD electrical offers

4 REPLIES 4
Message 1 of 5
AdepateWaliu
2675 Views, 4 Replies

What advantage does the AutoCAD electrical offers

Hello everyone. I am a student of electrical engineering. I'm used to using the ordinary AutoCAD for my works. Please I want to know the advantages the AutoCAD electrical has over the ordinary AutoCAD software.

4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
jalger
in reply to: AdepateWaliu

Hi Adepatewaliu,

There are many advantages to using AutoCAD Electrical vs Regular AutoCAD, but it depends on how you plan to use the software.

If you are making Electrical Scematics, one line diagrams, and Panel layouts then AutoCAD Electrical is the best way to go.

If you are making circuit boards well its not the best but if you only doing one or two layer CB's it might be ok, if its a 50 layer CB with crossing paths and links all over for multiple transistors...probably not the best. 

If you doing housing Electrical work ( or commerical buildings) Then MEP and evit would be a better choice..but I'll leave that one for now.

lets take a look at some advantages:

• Icon menu with inteligent blocks (JIC/NFPA , IEEE, IEC standard sysmbols are already in the product)
  • limited peer libraries are included (Pnuematic, Hydraulic, and P&ID) 
  • Large catalog of components (2 million enteries the help define a bill of material later)
  • Naming scheme customization (for auto naming components or wires)
  • Bill of material and other report generation
  • Title block management tools
  • Ability to add new enteries for missing components ( 2 million is alot but they don't have every manufacturer)
  • Make Custom symbols then add them to the Icon menu for easy access
  • Wire number and component naming update tools ( trust me i have spent 4 days on updating wire number changes on 50 page project, ACADE does it in 5 minutes for 50 pages) 
  • faster component placement, you drop in a component it automatical cuts the wire, joins it to the component, and numbers it (if your setup properly)
There are many more advantages but you get the picture.
If you want more information you can check out the videos on the Autodesk website:
http://www.autodesk.com/products/autocad-electrical/overview

I hope this helps,

James

James Alger
(I'm on several hundred posts as "algerj")

Work:
Dell Precision 5530 (Xeon E 2176M)
1tb SSD, 64GB RAM
Nvidia Quadro P2000, Win10
Message 3 of 5
jalger
in reply to: AdepateWaliu

Hi Adepatewaliu,

There are many advantages to using AutoCAD Electrical vs Regular AutoCAD, but it depends on how you plan to use the software.

If you are making Electrical Scematics, one line diagrams, and Panel layouts then AutoCAD Electrical is the best way to go.

If you are making circuit boards well its not the best but if you only doing one or two layer CB's it might be ok, if its a 50 layer CB with crossing paths and links all over for multiple transistors...probably not the best. 

If you doing housing Electrical work ( or commerical buildings) Then MEP and Revit would be a better choice..but I'll leave that one for now.

lets take a look at some advantages:

• Icon menu with inteligent blocks (JIC/NFPA , IEEE, IEC standard sysmbols are already in the product)
  • limited peer libraries are included (Pnuematic, Hydraulic, and P&ID) 
  • Large catalog of components (2 million enteries the help define a bill of material later)
  • Naming scheme customization (for auto naming components or wires)
  • Bill of material and other report generation
  • Title block management tools
  • Ability to add new enteries for missing components ( 2 million is alot but they don't have every manufacturer)
  • Make Custom symbols then add them to the Icon menu for easy access
  • Wire number and component naming update tools ( trust me i have spent 4 days on updating wire number changes on 50 page project, ACADE does it in 5 minutes for 50 pages) 
  • faster component placement, you drop in a component it automatical cuts the wire, joins it to the component, and numbers it (if your setup properly)
There are many more advantages but you get the picture.
If you want more information you can check out the videos on the Autodesk website:
http://www.autodesk.com/products/autocad-electrical/overview

I hope this helps,

James

James Alger

Work:
1tb SSD, 64GB RAM
Message 4 of 5
jalger
in reply to: jalger

I Love when the system gets screwed up then double posts...LOL

James Alger

Work:
1tb SSD, 64GB RAM
Message 5 of 5
Hans_ndemba
in reply to: jalger

Hi , 

My name is Hans. 

I am a junior electrical engineer. 

I am new to autocad, 

My question is : is it possible to make a single line mechanical design and implement electrical drawings on it with autocad electrical ?

I have downloaded autocad electrical software but I feel like I should have downloaded autocad 

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost