AutoCAD Electrical Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD Electrical Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Electrical topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Terminal Strip Editor/Generator Source/Destination Issue

28 REPLIES 28
Message 1 of 29
mark.electricaldesign
2037 Views, 28 Replies

Terminal Strip Editor/Generator Source/Destination Issue

Hi 

I have attached a very simple project with one ladder rung two wire number change terminals and 3 wires. All I want to do is assign the external wires to the right hand side of the terminals using the "Switch Terminal Destinations" button

When using the Terminal strip editor (TSE) I can do this easily by selecting each terminal and clicking the "Switch Terminal Destinations" and rebuild the terminal.  However, when I exit the TSE and re-enter it swaps around the terminal destinations and places wire 2 on the right!

I do have the save destination tick box checked

Any advise welcome.

Mark

28 REPLIES 28
Message 2 of 29

I see what you mean...

To fix, I used the AEMARKTERMINT & AEMARKTERMEXT commands to mark the Internal and External sides of the terminals in your dwg and had no problems in the TSE. You should be able to find these in the ribbon somewhere.

These commands mark the INTernal and EXTternal connections on a terminal. This is then picked up by the TSE and used when it builds it's table.

The Internal and External of the terminal can change according to panel location, however the TSE always places the Internal on the left and the External on the right, so keep that in mind. You may have to mark an actual Internal side as the External to allow the proper connections to show up in the TSE.

In this case, it wasn't a problem but another cause could be the wire sequencing. ACADE uses one method of doing the wire sequencing and the TSE uses a totally different method. and they have problems meshing together. For example, you set a wire sequence in the schematic, insert the terminal strip using the TSE and the client requests a change to the wire sequence which requires a rebuild of the terminal strip. The TSE will read an existing TSE wire sequence first and then ignore any other wire sequences on the wire network. This then leads to hair pulling and frustration. I've lost count of the number of times, I've had to delete a terminal strip, clear a wire sequence then redo them.

Regards Brad

>

Brad Coleman, Electrical Draftsman
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 3 of 29

Hi Brad

I really appreciated your response. In the actual drawing (has over 100
terminals) this fix didn't work and the TSE ignored the EXT/INT tags. I
will check again tomorrow and try deleting the terminal layout strip as you
suggested and runn the AEREBUILDDB command to see if that works, I'm
skeptical as the TSE fails even when the Strip is not inserted into the
layout. I'm so surprised that nobody else in the forum other than myself
has reported this as an issue as none of the updates fixed it. I do wonder
how to report issues to the developers? I also wonder if there is a way to
interrogate the network to try and establish the underlying cause.
Message 4 of 29

I've tried all suggested by Brad and it doesn't resolve the issue. This is a show stopper for us using the terminal strip editor as it's impractical with more than a handful of terminals. 

Hopefully this gets addressed by Autodesk and hopefully Autodesk observe this forum and provide a fix or improve the help.

Message 5 of 29

AutoDesk contacted me Dec 2017 and confirmed this a bug with a resolution in the next update. Can Autodesk "please" confirm this is being addressed as I have had no follow up.

Mark

Message 6 of 29

You should consider joining the beta-program (see pinned post). Then you would be able to try this in the new release, and post feedback in the beta forums.

We are not allowed to talk about the beta version here.

Trond Hasse Lie
AutoCAD Electrical and EPLAN expert
Ctrl Alt El
Please select "Accept Solution" if this post answers your question. 'Likes' won't hurt either. 😉
Message 7 of 29

Thanks Trond, I've requested to join the program.  

Many thanks

Mark

Message 8 of 29

It's now almost 6 months since the problem has been posted and I have not been provided with a resolution. We have boards with nearly 100 terminals and every time we edit the strip all the references flip back to the wrong sides and takes hours to reset.

Has the ball been dropped on this one?

We have to check our drawings more rigorously now and have had electricians complaining about frequent mistakes missed due to Electrical generating the errors.

Again expressing concerns about how suitable this product is for our company.

Message 9 of 29
Anonymous
in reply to: mark.electricaldesign

Hi Mark

I have also raised this problem and had no resolution.

My post:-

https://forums.autodesk.com/t5/autocad-electrical-forum/wires-on-wrong-side-of-terminals/m-p/7791728...

Regards

Lee

Message 10 of 29
mark.electricaldesign
in reply to: Anonymous

Many thanks Lee.

I had no idea this was an old issue which casts a different light on the problem and raises new support concerns.

Despite all of its good features this particular fundamental flaw has made the Electrical commercially nonviable. Due to our initial investment such as SQL Integration, Library creation and learning curve we have reached a point where we need to cut our losses.  As an engineering team we serve 50 construction electricians in Large Scale machinery design and cannot afford to use tools that are still in a state of 'beta' and unsupported (see foot note) which Electrical appears to be.   Management are forcing our hand to drop Autocad (Electrical).  Sadly, AutoDesk have not provided a means for us to defend our previous decision to invest in this tool. 

Important note: The support and enthusiasm offered by the regular responding forum guys has been top notch and in no way is this a reflection on their good work.

Mark

Message 11 of 29

Hi All,

I am working with the product developers on this issue. I will provide an update shortly.

Vinod Balasubramanian
AutoCAD Industry Support & Escalation Lead

Message 12 of 29

Hi,

When can we hope to have an update that will fix this issue?

I'm having the same problem on my drawings right now and it's very annoying. I manually set the internal/external in the TSE before I insert the strip on the panel layout, but it doesn't save it for the next time I want to edit the strip.

The big problem for us now is when we generate the terminal tables, it completely ignores how the connections are on the panel layout and chooses randomly between internal/external. Because of this the tables doesn't match what's on the panel layout.

Thanks,

Alex.

Message 13 of 29
abmulti123
in reply to: abmulti123

Hi,

I just downloaded Acade 2020 and the first thing I tried was to test if this bug was fixed. Of course, it isn't.

This bug is known since 2015, what is it gonna take for Autodesk to fix it??

Thanks.

Alex.

Message 14 of 29
Anonymous
in reply to: abmulti123

Yes, this is very frustrating. It seems there is no drive to fix bugs in Electrical.

My company spends tens of thousands of pounds with Autodesk every year. We have a total of 24 licences, 12 electrical, I feel we deserve more support with issues like this.....

Message 15 of 29

Hi It's been some time now since we last reported this issue.

I've attached a very simple project which will present the issue.

Please use the TSG to edit and update the terminal X1.1 and it you will see that the TSG does remember the terminal source and destination positions. When performing a preview or rebuild the layout terminal will appear differently to that shown.

Hopefully this can be analyzed by the AutoCad Electrical Team.

regards

Mark

Message 16 of 29

Sorry I meant to say:
Please use the TSE to edit and update the terminal X1.1 and it you will see that the TSE does not remember the terminal source and destination positions.

Mark
Message 17 of 29

We should tag Autodesk here then, so they could have a look at your test-project: @yuvaraj_jaganathan 

Trond Hasse Lie
AutoCAD Electrical and EPLAN expert
Ctrl Alt El
Please select "Accept Solution" if this post answers your question. 'Likes' won't hurt either. 😉
Message 18 of 29

Thanks Trond,

We have an email support contract and have already actioned Vinod. So hopefully he will respond here.

Tags (1)
Message 19 of 29

Hi @mark.electricaldesign ,

I could reproduce the issue with the attached drawing. Logged the issue in the defect tracking system.

Regards,
Yuvaraj Jaganathan
Senior QA Analyst
www.autodesk.com

Message 20 of 29

There has not ever be any solution onto this, right?

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Technology Administrators

AutoCAD Beta