AutoCAD Electrical Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD Electrical Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Electrical topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New install on PC - ALL files are now "foreign"

5 REPLIES 5
Message 1 of 6
Bryce.Cartmill
274 Views, 5 Replies

New install on PC - ALL files are now "foreign"

foreign file.PNG

5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
TRLitsey
in reply to: Bryce.Cartmill

Hi there,

I see this when opening a file save from Solid Works or some other program.  Even after opening the file, say a Solid Works dxf for example, open and edit in ACE then save as DWG I still see this message the next time I open the file.  Try to Continue Open and see what you get.

Good luck

Please mark as a solution if this works for you, kudos are always welcome
Message 3 of 6

Also, this "warning" was introduced a few versions ago, in case you've been installing a newer version of AutoCAD on the new computer.

Trond Hasse Lie
AutoCAD Electrical and EPLAN expert
Ctrl Alt El
Please select "Accept Solution" if this post answers your question. 'Likes' won't hurt either. 😉
Message 4 of 6
Bryce.Cartmill
in reply to: TRLitsey

Non Autodesk DWG. This DWG file was saved by a software application that was not developed or licensed by Autodesk. Autodesk cannot guarantee the application compatibility or integrity of this file.

This happens with ALL AutoCAD Electrical DWGs, ACAD LT 2016 DWGs - EVERY DWG file. We only use Autodesk products here. All I did was install AutoCAD Electrical 2018.

Message 5 of 6

Do you have some kind of document management system? Vault?

Trond Hasse Lie
AutoCAD Electrical and EPLAN expert
Ctrl Alt El
Please select "Accept Solution" if this post answers your question. 'Likes' won't hurt either. 😉
Message 6 of 6
jseefdrumr
in reply to: rhesusminus

I would try a reinstall; it almost sounds like something didn't get placed into the Windows Registry properly. Either that, or something to do with Vault, as Trond suggested.

Also, it's worth noting that if one person on your network uses a non-Autodesk CAD software, any drawing they save will forever toss up this warning. So, if you have an engineer who likes to poke around in say, DraftSight or something, look there as well. We had almost this exact problem not long ago, it just wasn't on EVERY drawing. Just most of them.

Hope this helps,
Jim

Jim Seefeldt
Electrical Engineering Technician

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

”Boost