AutoCAD Electrical Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD Electrical Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Electrical topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Manage Layer States

11 REPLIES 11
SOLVED
Message 1 of 12
TAC9404
486 Views, 11 Replies

Manage Layer States

Hello everyone.  I am trying to import layer settings to all of the drawings in my project.  I was able to import the layers to each drawing (I was hoping to do it once project wide, not 28 times) but when I open up the layer properties the layers are there but the color, line type, and description are not coming in with the import.  Does anyone know how to bring every column of data with the import.  The columns come in but the data for each column does not come in correctly if at all.

Thanks,

Tom

11 REPLIES 11
Message 2 of 12
rhesusminus
in reply to: TAC9404

The only way I know of, is to create a script that does this, and this can be run project wide.

Trond Hasse Lie
AutoCAD Electrical and EPLAN expert
Ctrl Alt El
Please select "Accept Solution" if this post answers your question. 'Likes' won't hurt either. 😉
Message 3 of 12
TAC9404
in reply to: rhesusminus

Hello Trond.  Would you happen to have a link to an example of this?

Message 4 of 12
jseefdrumr

ACADE Help has some good info on getting started with scripts, if you've never done them before. Or, here are a couple of options that might be quicker than having to learn a new skill right now:

There is a lisp out there, called STEAL, by Lee Mac. Googling it should be easy. You'd have to do each drawing individually, but it will import layers for you. I've never had this command drop data like what you're describing.

Another thing to try - again, individually by drawing - is to copy and paste. Start from the drawing that has all the correct layer information. Draw a bunch of lines. Go through and put one line on each layer you want to import. CTRL+C from there, CTRL+V in all of the drawings that need layers. Erase the lines, the layers will stay unless you PURGE them. Also have never seen dropped data when bringing layers into the drawings like this, but if you have lots of layers to import, it could take too much time.

Also remember that you can set up template drawings (.dwt) that already contain all needed entities (layers, linetypes, text styles, etc.) for future drawings.

Hope this helps,

Jim

Jim Seefeldt
Electrical Engineering Technician

Message 5 of 12
TAC9404
in reply to: jseefdrumr

Thank you Jim.  I'll check out that information.  Thank you for your response.

Message 6 of 12
TAC9404
in reply to: jseefdrumr

Capture5.PNGCapture6.PNG

Jim,

I tried the line "trick" and had no luck.  The same thing happens.  I lose the color, line type, and description.  I should have done it in the beginning when I was creating the template but thought I could just apply the layers project wide at the end.  Never did I imagine something that should be so simple to do be such an inconvenience.

Thanks,

Tom

Message 7 of 12
rhesusminus

Give me an example of a layer name and it's properties, and I'll create a script for one layer.

The trick that Jim shared only works if the layer DON'T exist in the drawing already.

Trond Hasse Lie
Ctrl Alt El
Please select "Accept Solution" if this post answers your question. 'Likes' won't hurt either. 😉
Message 8 of 12
TAC9404

Capture7.PNG

Thanks Trond.  Can you do a script for wires_others?

Message 9 of 12
rhesusminus

This script wil create/update the WIRES_OTHER layer:

-LAYER
MAKE
WIRES_OTHER
ON
WIRES_OTHER
THAW
WIRES_OTHER
UNLOCK
WIRES_OTHER
COLOR
WIRES_OTHER
LTYPE
HIDDEN2
WIRES_OTHER
LWEIGHT
WIRES_OTHER
TRANSPARENCY
WIRES_OTHER
PLOT
PLOT
WIRES_OTHER
DESCRIPTION
Wires Installed By Other, No Wire Numbering
WIRES_OTHER

Copy/paste it all into a file with a SCR-extension (please note the TWO blank lines at the end!!), and you can run this project wide.

HOWEVER!!!

This won't work for layers used for wires, because AcadE keeps some extra data on those layers, that isn't available through the user interface.

For import of wire layers, use this function:

2017-04-26_19-30-00.png

Trond Hasse Lie
Ctrl Alt El
Message 10 of 12
TAC9404

Thank you Trond.  I will try this out and will let you know how it works out.  Thanks again!

Message 11 of 12
vladop

Message 12 of 12
TAC9404
in reply to: vladop

Thank you Vladimir.  I appreciate your input.

Regards,

Tom

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost