AutoCAD Electrical Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD Electrical Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Electrical topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to convert 3d .stp files into 2d?

2 REPLIES 2
Message 1 of 3
Anonymous
7458 Views, 2 Replies

How to convert 3d .stp files into 2d?

I have a 3D step file of a box for a layout.  I just need one face of the box, so I need it in 2D.  Can i extract just 1 face of the box and copy it somewhere else?

I'm using ACADE2015.  Thanks!

2 REPLIES 2
Message 2 of 3
Anonymous
in reply to: Anonymous

you can import the step file than FLATTEN the view you want. if the 3d step file isnt orientated how you want it use the box on the top right of the screen and adjust untill it is. once you are there type UCSMAN and select the view you are in as current. Then flatten (you can either remove the hiden lines or leave them both can look different). then copy paste it into where you want it... that should work. 

Message 3 of 3
o.seth.muse
in reply to: Anonymous

The FLATTEN command will not always convert tangential edges correctly.  It will often convert arcs into a series of lines.  As an alternative, use the basic method mikegoutier mentioned to orient the imported STEP to the face you want as 2D.  The whole model needs to be visible on the screen.  Then use the command FLATSHOT.  Chose "Insert as new block" and check "Include tangential edges".  Insert the block at a point off the original imported model.  Use a scaling of X = 1, and Y scaling option "same as x", and a rotation angle of 0.  You can then delete the imported model.  create a point (POINT) at 0, 0 then MOVE the block to the new point.  You may need to use EXPLODE, delete what is not needed and subsequent JOIN to make continuous lines.   I use this method often to create tool paths for CNC machining.  Hope that helps.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report