AutoCAD Electrical Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD Electrical Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Electrical topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BOM placed on wrong sheet

6 REPLIES 6
SOLVED
Message 1 of 7
jim.peterson2
600 Views, 6 Replies

BOM placed on wrong sheet

Trying to add BOMs to sheets using the Project BOM feature places the BOM on the wrong sheet: Method: Reports--> Report Name is Bill of Material, Project radio button --> OK-->Load Select sheet to process other than the current one. 1. Using this method, the first time work fine. I added the BOM to sheet 1 from information on sheet 2. 2. Close sheet 1 and open and activate sheet 3 so it's the current sheet. 3. Adding a BOM to sheet 3 using information on sheets 4 or 4,5 or 4,5 6, etc. will add the BOM NOT to sheet3, but to sheet 1. AutoCAD opens sheet 1, replaces the current BOM and closes sheet 1, leaving sheet 3 untouched. The BOM comes up fine, it can be saved to a file, but it gets put on the wrong drawing.
6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
testsubject
in reply to: jim.peterson2

Each report within the project has to have its own .set file. 

I created .set files for each panel that would be in the project.

BOM_PEN1.set for Panel 1

BOM_PEN2.set for Panel 2

BOM_PEN3.set for Panel 3

etc...

Bob Hanrahan
Ace User since 1998
If this answered your question, please click on "Accept Solution"
Message 3 of 7
jim.peterson2
in reply to: testsubject

Bob, Thank you for your quick response. I have about 80 sheets, broken down into 2-4 sheet sets; one 'real' drawing covers 2-4 sheets. Therefore, I need to make about 30 individual .sheet files? Sigh. Also, I don't see the link between where the drawing is placed and the information in the .set file. The drawing name isn't in the .set, so I don't know why ACE places the file on drawing 1 instead of where I wanted it, on drawing 3.
Message 4 of 7
rhesusminus

It's stored in the table in the drawing, in some hidden data called XDATA.

Use the AEXDATA command to examine the tables. Then you'll se that the .set-filename is stored there 🙂

Trond Hasse Lie
AutoCAD Electrical and EPLAN expert
Ctrl Alt El
Please select "Accept Solution" if this post answers your question. 'Likes' won't hurt either. 😉
Message 5 of 7
jim.peterson2
in reply to: rhesusminus

Trond, Thanks for the reply. I'm either missing something big here or I'm not able to get my message across. My problem is that I want to put the table on drawing 3, but ACE keeps putting it on drawing 1. The .SET file doesn't say to put it on drawing 1. So, what's telling ACE to keep putting it on drawing 1? I used XDATALIST on the table. I see it uses BOM.SET. ACE_TABLE_SET(1000)=BOM ACE_TABLE_TYPE(1000)=BOM BOM.SET FILE: Report = Bill of Material (BOM) Format = (16 1 2 3 4 (7 4 3 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 )) Title = ("ITEM" "QTY" "SUB" "CATALOG" "MFG" "ASSYCODE" "DESCRIPTION" "DESC" "QUERY2" "QUERY3" "MISC1" "MISC2" "USER1" "USER2" "USER3" "TABNAM" "TAGS" "DESC1" "DESC2" "DESC3" "INST" "LOC" "UM" "HDL" "DWGIX" "REF" "SH" ) Characters = (12 4 4 60 24 24 60 60 60 60 60 60 24 24 24 32 24 60 60 60 24 16 60 18 12 12 12 ) Justification = ("R" "L" "L" "L" "L" "L" "L" "R" "R" "L" "L" "L" "L" "L" "L" "L" "L" "L" "L" "L" "L" "L" "L" "L" "L" "L" "L" ) Sorting = (16 5 4 4 )
Message 6 of 7
rhesusminus

When you create a report, you can select a format file (*.set):

2016-10-23_22-54-24.png

If you don't select any report file format, a default set-file will be used (bom.set in your case).

When you place the report in a table, Acade will save what kind of report and what set-files that was used, in the xdata for that table. This data will also be exported to the project database so that AcadE easily can find out what sheet it's located in:

2016-10-23_22-58-54.png

2016-10-23_23-02-20.png

If you now go to a random sheet, and create the SAME type of report, with the SAME set-file, AND you select "Update Existing":
2016-10-23_23-08-39.png

AcadE WILL update the table on the sheet where the table already is inserted. As you see, you can select "Insert New", but it will not be updatable. Maybe this is ok with you?

So, if you have a BOM-table inserted on sheet 1, but want it to be located on sheet 3, you must first delete it from sheet 1 to be updatable.

Or... You can create different set-files for the different reports you want. Normally you would have a lot of set-files saved in a group within "Automatic reports" so it won't be as much work to create and update the reports.

It's not ideal by far, but this is how AcadE works at the moment Smiley Indifferent

Trond Hasse Lie
AutoCAD Electrical and EPLAN expert
Ctrl Alt El
Please select "Accept Solution" if this post answers your question. 'Likes' won't hurt either. 😉
Message 7 of 7
jim.peterson2
in reply to: rhesusminus

Thank you very much for your detailed answer. It definitely answered my question very well. The issue is with the Update Existing radio button I failed to notice before. I was really hoping I could create a BOM per drawing set. It looks like I can only do so if I do non-updateable tables.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost