AutoCAD Electrical Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD Electrical Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Electrical topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Best way to learn AutoCAD Electrical?

5 REPLIES 5
Message 1 of 6
cryptozine653
570 Views, 5 Replies

Best way to learn AutoCAD Electrical?

So basically I interviewed for a ton of internships this summer, and did not get any of them. I know a very significant reason is that I lack AutoCAD experience, as it really is not a part of my EE curriculum whatsoever. So this summer I am teaching myself AutoCAD Electrical 2017 (Got it for free with student license) so I can be a better candidate next time.

My question is where is the best place to learn how to use the software? I've found a few sites, but most are either paid or are for the general AutoCAD not AutoCAD Electrical.

Labels (1)
5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
pendean
in reply to: cryptozine653

>>>... I lack AutoCAD experience...<<<
Take care of that problem first: you can;t run if you even stand on your feet.
Free content on the web is disorganized, you'll spend more time looking for stuff rather than easily finding it.
You can start here with these websites https://www.google.com/search?q=beginner+autocad+tutorial
I suggest you also pick up a book or three like this one https://www.amazon.com/s?k=autocad+2017+for+beginners&ref=nb_sb_noss

>>>...I am teaching myself AutoCAD Electrical...<<<
Is your EE curriculum for large grand infrastructure and plant electrical service design, and is that what you want to do in life? That is what AutoCAD Electrical does.
Or are you, and I don't mean for this to sound disrespectful to anyone, planning on being an electrician wiring up houses and small commercial projects? Then you want AutoCADMEP for that line of work, a different program.

HTH
Message 3 of 6
alds02

One convenient way to get started is to use the tutorials that come with your software. Launch the Help - you'll find the tutorials. Never just read them, do the exercises too. Not all of them are equally well-done, but honestly this is the exact way I learned enough to get started.

Message 4 of 6

So basically I interviewed for a ton of internships this summer, and did not get any of them. I know a very significant reason is that I lack AutoCAD experience, as it really is not a part of my EE curriculum whatsoever. So this summer I am teaching myself AutoCAD Electrical 2017 (Got it for free with student license) so I can be a better candidate next time.

My question is where is the best place to learn how to use the software? I've found a few sites, but most are either paid or are for the general AutoCAD not AutoCAD Electrical.

10.0.0.0.1 192.168.1.254 happymod

Message 5 of 6
ccad2509

stick with the basics first do Autocad

you falling into the trap that Autocad electrical is the only ECAD package here in Europe generally Autocad electrical is the last choice

when it comes to ECAD sales principally its in the bundle with inventor that gets the sale

getting your head around how Autocad gives you the basics then migrate onto Autocad electrical (and push comes to shove you could do some basic cad work for anybody as a cash sideline)

but research is the key turning up for an internship interview all set up for an Autocad electrical key skill test and finding out at the interview they use Solidworks electrical then you're stuffed

research the companies look at the markets there in and research the cad products that they use

some markets tend towards certain products

here in Europe generally speaking

Oil and gas plain autocad

automotive car production and systems integration Eplan

Building services autocad

small company design/building Eplan/See electrical/Wscad /Autocad electrical/ Solidworks electrical/ design sight

airport baggage handling Eplan (except France where See electrical is used)

Chemical industry  Autocad/Eplan

there is no market where Autocad electrical is the dominant product

there is over 30 electrical cad products out there regardless of what the big boys claim

Smaller companies generally go with whats the best fit for them where as the big boys tend to focus on big corporate sales

all these products have trial and student versions so its worth the research time

the best place for tutorials Ive found when you filter out all the sH$% is youtube

and the best place recently for really good product info is all the virtual fairs being promoted by everybody except Autodesk

Message 6 of 6

Not really getting much help in how to learn. I'll try to answer. When I learned AutoCAD Electrical it was after learning several other systems through the year. I'd have to say AutoCAD Electrical was probably the most difficult system I've had to learn. Its not very intuitive. That being said I went online (Amazon/Ebay etc.) and found an old school textbook from a couple of versions before the new one. ~$20. To get it totally free its probably going to be cobbled together from youtube, forums, tutorials etc. However as people have pointed out you'd probably be better served learning reg AutoCAD or SolidWorks and getting drafting and design fundamentals. Example: In a month you can learn 30% of Electrical or 50%  of regular. That 50% you learn in regular AutoCAD will give you 20% of Electrical and many other systems, so its up to you. You probably have free books at your local library.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost