AutoCAD Electrical Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD Electrical Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Electrical topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Automatic Wire Color/Gauge info in wiring diagrams

10 REPLIES 10
Message 1 of 11
Anonymous
526 Views, 10 Replies

Automatic Wire Color/Gauge info in wiring diagrams

Would anyone be able to give some direction as to how I can automatically include wire color/gauge info in my wiring diagrams based on the different wire layers that I've used for connections in my schematics. I thought that the *.wdw file was supposed to make this happen but it doesn't seem to be working for me.
I've set up my layers named "w_blk_#14" and "w_brn_#18" and then included each of those in the wire type table. Also, each exists in the *.wdw file with the description I'd like to use. The descriptions come into the schematic when I insert the color/gauge leader, but I though this was also supposed to work for my wiring diagrams. Am I wrong? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks,

Nathan
10 REPLIES 10
Message 2 of 11
Anonymous
in reply to: Anonymous

Nathan
What annotation format are you using for your wiring diagram ?
%G - should give you color/gauge, or wire layer name.
But, I've found that the color (and probably gauge, although I'm not sure 'cos I don't use it) has to be entered into the 'Wire Color' column in the 'Create/Edit Wire Type' command dialog box (in Acade07, 08), otherwise it doesn't show up on the wiring diagram.
Pete B.
Message 3 of 11
Anonymous

Pete,
%G gives me the layer name, but that's no good because the layer names all begin with 'w' and are filled with underscores. I've got a few layers set up in the 'wire type table' but that just gives me the option of choosing which type of wire to insert in the schematic. I thought that the 'default.wdw' file was supposed to be used for wiring diagrams as well as color/gauge labels in the schematics. Any other suggestions? Thanks,

Nathan
Message 4 of 11
Anonymous

Is this what you where looking for?

http://discussion.autodesk.com/thread.jspa?threadID=389849

Peter
Message 5 of 11
Anonymous

Nathan,
Don't know if this helps, but I had a similar problem, in that I wanted :- WireNo/WireColor/Dest as the annotation, for which I was using - %W/%G/%I. If I remember correctly, I kept getting the Wire Layer for %G, until I added the colors as shown in the attached image.
Pete B.
Message 6 of 11
Anonymous

Peter,
The discussion thread was't was I was looking for. I read through that one already, but thanks! I have the wire layers set up as you showed in your picture. That doesn't seem to do anything for me either. All I ever get with '%G' is the layer name. Thanks for your help, but I guess I'll just have to live with it, or keep messing around until I find a way to get what I want! Later,

Nathan
Message 7 of 11
Anonymous

Nathan,

this isn't really my area of expertise but if you send me a drawing I can
look at it or have someone else here look at it. My direct email is
pat.murnen@autodesk.com

Pat Murnen

wrote in message news:5612348@discussion.autodesk.com...
Peter,
The discussion thread was't was I was looking for. I read through that
one already, but thanks! I have the wire layers set up as you showed in
your picture. That doesn't seem to do anything for me either. All I ever
get with '%G' is the layer name. Thanks for your help, but I guess I'll
just have to live with it, or keep messing around until I find a way to get
what I want! Later,

Nathan
Message 8 of 11
Anonymous

Nathan,
Just out of interest, which version of AcadE are you using?
Pete B.
Message 9 of 11
Anonymous

Pete/Pat
It's AutoCAD E 2008, and thanks for your suggestions. Thanks for the offer, but it seems to make more sense to me now that I just name the layers as I want them to display in my wiring diagram, and select the wire type at the command prompt when I begin a new wire. I was working under the assumption before that I would select the working layer before drawing a new wire, so I wanted all wire layers to be grouped together, hence the "w_". So I'll just set my templates up with the layers that I need, named the way I'd like to see them in my WDs! Thanks for everything,

Nathan
Message 10 of 11
Anonymous

Nathan,
I have a question for you. You seem to be one of the few using Wiring Diagrams and in AcadE08.
If you insert your WD footprints(from Schematic List) & then insert Terminals(from Schematic List) and then add 'Wire Annotations', does this work properly for you?
I seem to be having problems in '08 in that just the terminals get annotated and not the other footprints.
Yet, if I try the whole procedure, using the same Schematic, in AcadE07, it works fine!!
Cheers
Pete B.
Message 11 of 11
Anonymous

This is an issue that surfaced in ACE2008. We are working on a solution.
Please email me at nate.holt@autodesk.com for more info.
Nate.

wrote in message news:5613957@discussion.autodesk.com...
Nathan,
I have a question for you. You seem to be one of the few using Wiring
Diagrams and in AcadE08.
If you insert your WD footprints(from Schematic List) & then insert
Terminals(from Schematic List) and then add 'Wire Annotations', does this
work properly for you?
I seem to be having problems in '08 in that just the terminals get annotated
and not the other footprints.
Yet, if I try the whole procedure, using the same Schematic, in AcadE07, it
works fine!!
Cheers
Pete B.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report