AutoCAD Electrical Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD Electrical Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Electrical topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ACADE 2015 PLC module database update

2 REPLIES 2
SOLVED
Message 1 of 3
nsmith
1018 Views, 2 Replies

ACADE 2015 PLC module database update

Is there a PLC Database to download that may have updated modules?

Is there a link to see what is included in the PLC database? 

Specifically I am looking for GE RSTi-EP I/O modules.

2 REPLIES 2
Message 2 of 3
jseefdrumr
in reply to: nsmith

Your fastest option is to encounter someone on this forum who has already made this with their PLC Database editor, who is also willing to share. There aren't any downloadable databases, unless the manufacturer puts one out there.

Not all manufacturers update their data with Autodesk, unfortunately. PLCs aren't the only things in our catalogs and libraries that have outdated info.

Until that changes, the PLC database editor is the best tool for this. I'm not aware of any kind of link that describes the PLC database other than what is in ACADE Help. However, it's explained decently enough so that you can add this GE module to your existing database.

It sounds like you're new to that ... if so:

The main thing to keep in mind when you're doing this is that you draw nothing. You will define a set of parameters from inside the PLC Database Editor, and when you go to insert this new PLC later on, ACADE will look to the database for the info you defined, then it will construct the block for the PLC accordingly. It does this by selecting a bunch of tiny, predefined blocks (some are graphics, some are text) and assembling them to graphically represent the module. Once everything's there, ACADE draws a box around everything, explodes it all, then WBLOCKs it into a new, single block.

This all happens in a second or two, so it's hard to know that there's that much going on. But this is the general process for any parametric command in ACADE. (there is also a connector symbol that is built parametrically.) It allows ACADE to draw virtually any PLC while using only a handful of blocks.

OR...

You can just draw a 'full units' PLC. Again, see Help, but essentially this is a fully drawn block, old-school, that already has everything in it. The main difference between these two types of PLC symbol is that the parametric one can be made to fit any rung spacing on your ladder. The full units PLC (also called 'fixed units') is the same every time, and so may not fit in drawings with different rung spacing.

The best way to do this, I think, would be to find a parametric PLC that is as close as possible to the one you need, insert it, explode it, and use the resulting bits and pieces to build the GE PLC. It would be the quickest way to get all the attributes in there that you need. Symbol Builder doesn't have an attribute template for PLCs.

Hope this helps,
Jim

Jim Seefeldt
Electrical Engineering Technician

Message 3 of 3
nsmith
in reply to: jseefdrumr

Thanx...that is what I will try.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost