AutoCAD Electrical Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD Electrical Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Electrical topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

2017 Migration machine to machine

3 REPLIES 3
Message 1 of 4
TRLitsey
282 Views, 3 Replies

2017 Migration machine to machine

ACE 2014 > 2017, all workstations Win 7 64-bit, projects are on the network but all ACE and ACE support files are installed on individual workstation.

Hi there,

I have seen similar questions but I want to be very explicit as I have been looking at how to do this for a few days and have not found the procedure. I used the migration tool on my workstation this afternoon.  It took 1-1/2 hour for the transfer from 2014 to 2017.  So far I like what I see.  There are a total of 4 ACE workstations in this office.  Mine is the heaviest with customization so the goal is to make the other three look and act like mine.  Up to ACE 2014 I would have copied the dozen or so files/folders to a jump drive and pasted them into the other workstations.  Will that work with 2017?  Or is there a slick way to create a migr file with all the pertinent data files?  I would like to select all the options and just say ‘go build a file for me.’  With what I have found it does not work that way, I have to select each file/folder one at a time and add them to a folder one at a time.  That is a real pain because IT has installed ACE with something other than standard default setting so files can be hard to find.  Is there a better way?

Thank you

I would like to grab these in one fell swoop:

Screenshot - 1_17_2017 , 3_11_37 PM.png

Please mark as a solution if this works for you, kudos are always welcome
3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4
rhesusminus
in reply to: TRLitsey

Sorry, but there are no quick ways på "extract" these files, and "paste" then onto another computer.
But you gave me an idea for a tool for my toolbox 🙂

Trond Hasse Lie
AutoCAD Electrical and EPLAN expert
Ctrl Alt El
Please select "Accept Solution" if this post answers your question. 'Likes' won't hurt either. 😉
Message 3 of 4
dougmcalexander
in reply to: TRLitsey

By customization do you mean menu customization maybe?  If so you only need the acade.cuix and acad.cuix files, and the Images folder.  For my customers I have the IT group include a login script that copies such files, and any others they wish to share, from a network folder to each workstation.  As the CAD manager or lead designer modifies their files, he/she uploads them to this predetermined network folder, so the next time everyone logs in they automatically get the latest version of each file and any new icons from the Images folder.  Some of my customers even do this for menus and report format files, just to keep them on the local computer.  This is especially helpful since the Automatic Reports generator only looks for Report Grouping (RGF) files in the User folder.  I have a request on the Idea Station to force the Automatic Reports generator to look for the RGF files in the same folder with the .SET files, in case I have edited the WD.ENV file to instruct the software to look for them in a network folder.

Doug McAlexander

Design Engineer/Consultant/Instructor/Mentor specializing in AutoCAD Electrical training and implementation support

Phone and Web-based Support Plans Available

Phone: (770) 841-8009

www.linkedin.com/in/doug-mcalexander-1a77623

Please Accept as Solution if I helped you. Likes are also much appreciated.
Message 4 of 4
TRLitsey
in reply to: dougmcalexander

Hi again,

Thank you for the replies. Our department is small enough that IT will not setup a network configuration for us.  Up to ACE2014 I would copy my files to my folder on our network.  Goodies like menu(s) with added icons, added .dwg smart symbols, excel file with added wire way and manufactures, catalog with added components, etc.  The few other folks using ACE would copy those files to their workstation every month or two and use them to replace the corresponding files on the individual workstations.  It is my understanding that this method will create problems because of file structure differences for 2014 to 2017.  The migration tool worked just fine on my workstation going from 2014 to 2017 but I am have a bit of a challenge as to how I can get those updates onto other workstation, especially the workstations that have only 2017 installed.  They have nothing to migrate from.  Once upon a time I had a laundry list of files to move/update other workstations, I am leery that this list of files will not work or has changed with 2017.  I have found that I can copy the default_cat.mdb from one 2017 workstation to another 2017 workstation but I am afraid to try it on any of the other files/folder.  I would like to update my peers but I just don’t want to let all the good smoke out.

Screenshot - 3_20_2017 , 8_31_17 AM.png

Any advice is welcome

Thank you

Please mark as a solution if this works for you, kudos are always welcome

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost