Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Suggestion for AutoCAD

Suggestion for AutoCAD

Hi there,

My name is Francisco Barbieri and I work for a consulting comapany in Australia as the BIM Manager.

For years we've been using Sheet Set Manager which is great feature to manage and control drawings and their fields.

I would love to be able to insert a field into the Layout Tab name.

I REALLY REALLY HOPE THIS TO BECOME REALLITY IN SOME POINT!

Please make it happen in a future revision of AutoCAD. It would be absolutely gold to be able to modify the layout tabs via fields.

Thanks in advance.

Regards,

Francisco Barbieri

BIM Manager

WATERMAN 

6 Comments
jeffl
Advocate

If you are looking to use the layout tab name as a drawing number or other part of the titleblock, try using a system variable as shown in the image below, where the highlighted text "Plan" is the layout tab name.  We change the name to the sheet number.  Hope this helps.

ctab.png

dgorsman
Consultant

@jeffl, I think its the other way around - generating the layout tab name in whole or part from a field, such as a Sheet Set property.

rkmcswain
Mentor
This is the Civil 3D IdeaStation, not AutoCAD. The AutoCAD team will never see it here. Try the AutoCAD wish list, here.
jeffl
Advocate

The AutoCAD team won't see it, but if there is a solution/workaround for these kinds of issues we as users can still offer assistance, no?  Maybe not in this case, but...

fobarbieri
Participant

You are right @dgorsman. My idea is basically to control layout names with fields.

We use the app SMSPropEditor to do batch fields updates and that works flawless.

You can even rename the layout tabs with this app but it has a few bugs when it comes to rename the layout tabs - it does a few, it skips a few and so on. Not very reliable for this.

If there was a way to get fields into the layout tabs it would be the absolutely best solution for our current workflow.

I truly hope Autodesk to implement this feature one day.

fobarbieri
Participant

Thanks for the heads up @rkmcswain. I just posted the same topic there.

It would be so dam good if they make it happen.

Cheers

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Submit Idea  

Answer Day

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report