Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can we have improvements to the point import format manager?

Can we have improvements to the point import format manager?

Point import format manager hasn't really changed a lot in the last 30 years... It would be awesome if point import would check a file for commas and quit asking if they are there or not... It should be an easy check.  Also, add the option to skip the first X number of lines of the file... Everyone that has a clue has a header on their point file, that they have to delete in order to use.  Which then orphans the file, it no longer has the header info to tell the fields apart...

Also, could it give an error message if a line can't be processed, instead of just dying?  A blank line at the end of the file shouldn't crash your import!

3 Comments
pmascaro
Advocate

You may also like my idea which takes this a step further.

https://forums.autodesk.com/t5/autocad-civil-3d-ideas/automatic-user-defined-point-style-and-point-f...

Best Regards,

Paul

RobertMansson
Advocate

Here I was thinking I'm one of the only ones manually removing the first 2 lines on every Point file I import 🙂

As you say, the Point import format manager seems ancient and in dire need of an update.

pmascaro
Advocate

It should be able to match the import file header with the point file column name. You shouldn't have to put your point data in any specific delimited order any more. This is a very antiquated way of importing points.

If my import file has a header that reads 'Point Number' and my point file format has a column named 'Point Number' than it should populate the point number in that point column. 'Raw Description' <-> 'Raw Description'...etc.

We are not working in DOS here so I'm not sure why we are still importing points as if we are...

Most modern Engineering, GeoTechnical and GeoSpatial applications simply match header names with out column order restrictions....

Let's take that a step further...

It should also be compatible with Excel... Why do I even have to save a .csv for import any more... Just let me pick which table in excel that I want to import, match the headers and call it a day...

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Submit Idea  

Answer Day

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report