Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Alignment and Profile from Feature Line

Alignment and Profile from Feature Line

Command to Create an Alignment and Profile from a Feature Line.

This is available in the Sincpac C3D add-on but should be a standard capability.

15 Comments
Anonymous
Not applicable

Missing it too. It can be done trough LandXML, but it is too complicated procedure for such a simple task.

joantopo
Mentor

Sincpac has already that.

Status changed to: Future Consideration

Do you want to change a featureline into an alignment/profile so that you can use it for a corridor base line, or for something else? 

Regards,

Peter Funk
Sr Product Manager
Civil 3D
Autodesk, Inc.

joantopo
Mentor

Yes, there was exactly your idea, in fact, it is accepted 🙂

https://forums.autodesk.com/t5/autocad-civil-3d-ideastation/corridor-baseline-feature-line-control/i...

I think that Sincpac C3D added that command just for that. (because we cannot add a FL as a BaseLine).

Other utilities may be to extract a report of the FL with the format data of an alignment and profile.

The usefulness of FL as a BaseLine is you can apply assemblies in the grading. (in fact, I have read that PowerCivil can do this without creating a corridor).

brendanbutt1
Contributor

Yes Peter, that is one application that would open up new possibilities. Initially, I thought that it would be very useful for intersection design curb return design because it's easier to design them with a feature line, but it needs to be documented as align/prof and would make possible future edits easier.

Feature Lines are possibly the single most powerful object in C3D. I use them in many different grading applications and as an analysis tool. It makes sense to have the capability to record the feature as an alignment and profile. It would help visualize the 3D relationship in a model and also facilitate checking. Many uses, so basically it seems like a major oversight to not have this capability.

Status changed to: Accepted

OK, 

I've changed this to "Accepted" but it could also be "Duplicte" for Featureline as Corridor baseline.

Regards,

Peter Funk
Sr Product Manager
Civil 3D
Autodesk, Inc.

troma
Mentor

Sometimes we just need an alignment and a profile, not a corridor.

rbastiaans
Participant

I don't know if you still need this feature, but in the Dutch countrykit for C3D 2017 there's a custom tool available that does just this! And it's free.

joantopo
Mentor

@peterfunkautodesk , this idea is not a duplicated of a FL as a corridor BaseLine.... Currently, try to do this:

If you have a FL and not an alignment and profile, YOU CAN´T DO:

- A surface profile from that FeatureLine. (you need an alignment).

- A Profile View from that FeatureLine. (you need an alignment).

**Yes, you can create a quick profile from a FL, but quick profiles are not allowed to get label profiles..

Look at that we can create a corridor from a FL as BaseLine. This means that we can create a corridor surface ON the BaseLine, so we could create a corridor surface profile from there...... BUT.... we can´t create a profile view from a Featureline.. (in other words.. you can´t display the result design profile in a profile view, derived from the elevations of the FL).

Status changed to: Implemented

The OP's request for was to be able to use a FL as a corridor baseline. That is what was Accepted and that was what was Implemented. While I understand the request to convert a FL to an alignment/profile, that was not what was asked for in this post.

It is impossible to close an idea that has multiple items in it, especially when the post grows after it was accepted.

Regards,

Peter Funk

Autodesk, Inc.

fcernst
Mentor

No, this is different than "using a Featureline as a Corridor baseline"  Peter.

We have a need to be able to quickly see the Featureline in Profile during the grading and designing process.

fcernst
Mentor

..The OP's request for was to be able to use a FL as a corridor baseline.

That's not correct at all. It is clear, the request was for the ability to create an Alignment and Profile from a Featureline.

"..Command to Create an Alignment and Profile from a Feature Line...)

This should be a Launch Pad command for Featurelines... and it should be a dynamic relationship between all three.

brendan.butt
Participant

Yes, that's correct 

Still waiting for the Alignment and Profile from a Feature Line capability.

This has many more uses for 3D modeling and grading for site design, complex intersections, and corridors.

fcernst
Mentor

@peterfunkautodesk

..While I understand the request to convert a FL to an alignment/profile, that was not what was asked for in this post.

Need to read the original request again. This has not been Implemented.

brendan.butt
Participant

This was accepted but never implemented. What is the status?

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Submit Idea  

Answer Day

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report