Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Need Help- Creating Surfaces for Flood Channel Walls

1 REPLY 1
Message 1 of 2
MikeL83
235 Views, 1 Reply

Need Help- Creating Surfaces for Flood Channel Walls

Hello All,

Our team is currently processing a topo of a flood channel with vertical walls.  We've done several in the past, but this time the top of walls are leaning significantly over the grade lines below.  When creating a surface for this, the triangles connect to the nearest breakline/point which creates a large V-type look to the wall.  Our intent is to try and create the surface to show the wall leaning over so we can ultimately create section views of each station.

Our solution has been to create 3 surfaces- bottom of channel (includes flowline & gradeline), wall face (includes gradeline & top wall @ face), top of wall (about one foot wide).  This has not been completed yet, but is our latest idea.  We've tried editing the surface with swap edge, creating new breaklines, etc. with no success.

Can anyone elaborate on any solutions for creating surfaces with leaning vertical walls?  Also, any issues I may run into when creating section views (we have corridor created from 1993 as-builds).  

Thank you,

Mike L.

1 REPLY 1
Message 2 of 2

Out of the box Civil 3D your approach is the one I'd use. In order for it to work best whoever creates the points they need to make sure they are conistent in point naming if that is what you are using. 

In the past I've written a custom program that creates profiles by links programatically using alignments and profile views instead of sample lines and sections. This method you don't end up with a surface, but a picture connecting the dots of points that doesn't care if they go the wrong way. But I've found most people don't want to go with the custom approach since it is either a one time thing or they expect Autodesk to provide the solution. 

Civil Reminders
http://blog.civil3dreminders.com/
http://www.CivilReminders.com/
Alumni

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report