Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

label at grade breaks for both eg & fg surfaces in one section view band

16 REPLIES 16
Message 1 of 17
billy.qwang
7564 Views, 16 Replies

label at grade breaks for both eg & fg surfaces in one section view band

Does anyone know how to label elevation/offset at grade breaks from both existing ground surface and finished ground surface in one section view band? I am working on Civil 3d ANZ 2011, it seems all available band styles only show values at grade breaks from one surface, that is either the existing ground surface or finished ground surface, doesn't matter what combination I use for section1 & section 2.

The best cross section I can manage to get is shown below, it would be a lot more neat if all the vertical grid will extend to the bottom of the band and showing corresponding values in respective view bands.

16 REPLIES 16
Message 2 of 17
sboon
in reply to: billy.qwang

I've added a band style to one of the tutorial drawings and attached it here.  You should be able to modify this to suit your purposes.

Steve
Please use the Accept as Solution or Kudo buttons when appropriate

Steve
Expert Elite Alumnus
Message 3 of 17
billy.qwang

Thank you Steve, it is a shame the DWG file you attached must be created by a new version of Civil 3D, I am not able to view it with my Civil 3D 2011.

It is a bit frastrating that I have been looking for this solution on the web for weeks but find nothing, any chance you could show me how to do it? wrote new codes in the program?

Thanking you in advance.

Billy

Message 4 of 17
sboon

The drawing I used for the example is one of the tutorial files installed with the software.  You should be able to find the same drawing in:

C:\Program Files\Autodesk\Autodesk AutoCAD Civil 3D 20--\Help\Civil Tutorials\Drawings\

The drawing already has section views with data bands displayed.  Start by right-clicking on the Section Data group of band styles and creating a new one.

Clipboard01.png

Create a new label for the grade breaks.  You will need to create two text components, one for each of the section elevations you intend to display.  Use the ellipsis button in the Contents field to add the parameter which you are going to be displaying here.  Note the attachment, size and rotation settings I've used; you can see the result of your changes in the preview window at right.

Clipboard02.png

Once the first piece of text is done you can add the second one.  I've used different display settings for this one, to clarify the existing versus final grades.

Clipboard03.png

The last step is to change the Display tab settings so that your new style will only show labels and tics at the grade breaks.

Clipboard04.png

You can change the properties for one Section View or you can do it to an entire Section View group.  Either way you can get rid of the existing bands and add the new style.  You will have to select the two surfaces you intend to label and you may have to play with the weeding and stagger settings.

Steve

Steve
Expert Elite Alumnus
Message 5 of 17
billy.qwang
in reply to: sboon

Hi Steve, thank you for going  through this much trouble, I have tried the method you demonstrated above, however the results I got is rather confusing (please refer to the attachment Trial)

I have added additional text components in the first view band (proposed levels) and the second view band (existing levels), as a result, for the first view band, instead of showing elevations of FG at grade breaks from both EG and FG surfaces, the program shows elevations of EG & FG at grade breaks only from FG surface. Same happens to the second view band, it shows elevations of EG & FG at grade breaks only from EG surface.

in the screen shot attached (preferred), I have manually added red vertical grid lines where it is preferred to have associated labels, this is quite a commone cross section presentation in Australia, but I have gone through so much trouble trying to find out how to achieve this, I am really supprised no one else raises this issue before.  

Kind Regards

Billy

Message 6 of 17
mathewkol

Billy, for future posts, include your C3D version to avoid unnecessary delay and effort. Without it, we are forced to assume you have a compatible version.
Matt Kolberg
SolidCAD Professional Services
http://www.solidcad.ca /
Message 7 of 17
sboon

I don't really understand the problem.  You're asking for a label in the proposed elevation band at -8.115, -6.682, -4.118 and other offsets where there is no proposed surface to label.  The location of the labels is going to be determined by which surface you use for Section 1 versus Section 2 when you insert the band.  For your Proposed band you probably have the proposed surface as Section 1 so labels are placed at the grade breaks in that section.  The same thing is happening in the Existing band, except that you have labels where the existing surface exists but the proposed does not.

It should be possible to create the red lines that you're showing but they won't have any labels attached to them.

Steve

Steve
Expert Elite Alumnus
Message 8 of 17
billy.qwang

I will try to find a cross section created by other consultants and post it here tomorrow, basically it has vertical grid lines lining up in all view bands at grade breaks of two surfaces, this is especially helpful in the area the the EG & FG overlaps, the vertrical grid line at grade breaks from EG surface not only showing elevations of EG in the Existing band but also showing elevations of FG in the Proposed band at the same location which is not necessary the location of grade break from FG surface.

It will be easy to understand what I mean once I post the drawing created by other consultants, it is quite a standard presentation in Australia, thank for effots so far, your posts above are very educational.

Regards

Billy

Message 9 of 17
billy.qwang
in reply to: mathewkol

Hi Mathew, I have mentioned the version of C3D I am using is 2011 in two posts of mine above. A part from the helps from Steve, I haven't noticed any inputs from you therefore I can't understand why I am accused of forcing you to take actions?

Regards

Billy 

Message 10 of 17
sboon

It took a while but I think I've got it.  At first I tried using four bands with different labels at the grade breaks in the EG section but when the staggered option was used it created the angled leader lines at the top of each band.

Clipboard01.png

I changed the band set so that only the Existing Elevations has labels and the other three bands are blank.

Clipboard02.png

This screenshot shows the Elevations band by itself.  Line.1 starts from the bottom of the band and extends down through the other three blank bands.  Line.2 extends up from the band bottom and is slightly short so that it intersects the stagger lines.  All of the text items are placed at the band middle, with Y offsets to shift them down to the relevant locations.

Clipboard03.png

I had to change the order of the bands to get the staggering to work correctly, but I believe that you should be able to recreate

the idea in your software from here.

Steve

Steve
Expert Elite Alumnus
Message 11 of 17
billy.qwang

Hi Steve,

Please see the attached screenshot from a consultant's design, in the Natural Surface band it has elevations values of natural surface at grade breaks from both design surface and natural surface, the cross section I can manage to get is the elevations of natural surface at grade breaks only from natural surface.

I am really puzzled how the consultant managed to achieve his cross section.

Cheers

Billy

Message 12 of 17
sboon

The way that they're displayed makes me think that those might actually be Section Grade Break labels configured to fit into three empty bands.  It's similar to what I did in the drawing I posted last night, where I used one band to create values in all four of them.

Steve

Steve
Expert Elite Alumnus
Message 13 of 17
mathewkol

Whoa Billy, nobody's accusing you of anything, just making a suggestion that will speed things along.  Apologies, however, I reread your first post and I see 2011 in there.

Matt Kolberg
SolidCAD Professional Services
http://www.solidcad.ca /
Message 14 of 17
ljewkes

Neat way around this issue ... I'll have to replicate this in my company template. Good work.
Message 15 of 17
sacprasanna

Hello Bill,

Can you help me slove below problame.I found this post when searching for grade breaks and lean lot of from this entire post.Big Thanks to Mr Steve too.I checked your first attachment and I sow your section view had vertical grids at grade breaks points.

I can't figure out how to add those vertical grids to section view since section view style display tab haven't Grid Vertical Grade Breaks.

Could you please help me to slove above problame.

I attached my drawing too.

Thanks

Chamara Prasanna
AutoCAD Civil 3D 2015 SP 1
Sri Lanka
Message 16 of 17
nilampatbijeesh

Solved...Thank you

Message 17 of 17
yehtutwinfire

I want to dwt format change your drawing

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report