Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

C3D and Win8

7 REPLIES 7
Message 1 of 8
Jeff_M
666 Views, 7 Replies

C3D and Win8

Yes, I know that, as of today, no version of C3D is supported on Windows8. But since I am a glutton for punishment, and I needed a new computer, and that new computer had to have Win8 for other reasons, I figured I would document my findings of whether I could actually get a usable working install with C3D2012 &/or C3D2013. 

The new laptop will be delivered some time today, so this post is just an advisory of what's to come later on. Here are the specs of the machine I will be testing with:

Sager notebook 

NP9570      
Display 17.3" Full HD LED-Backlit Display featuring 90% NTSC Color Gamut in Super Glossy Surface (1920 x 1080)
Video & Graphics Card Nvidia GeForce GTX 670MX GPU with 3GB GDDR5 Video Memory
CPU Processor Intel® Core™ i7-3930K Processor ( 12MB L3 Cache, 3.20GHz / 3.80GHz in Turbo Mode, 6 Cores ) 
Thermal Compound IC Diamond Thermal Compound - CPU + GPU 
Operating System Genuine MS Windows® 8 Professional 64-Bit Edition 
Memory 32GB Quad Channel DDR3 SDRAM at 1600MHz - 4 X 8GB 
Primary Hard Disk Drive 256GB Crucial M4 Series SATA3 Solid State Disk Drive 
2nd Hard Disk Drive 750GB 7200rpm SATA3 with 8GB SSD Secondary Hybrid Hard Drive
Optical Drive Bay — Optical Drive or Hard Disk Drive in Optical Drive Bay with Caddy case 6X Blu-ray Reader/8X DVD±R/2.4X +DL Super-Multi Drive & Software 
Wireless Network Card Killer™ Wireless-N 1202 802.11 A/B/G/N Wireless LAN + Bluetooth 4.0 Combo Module 
Primary Battery Smart Li-ION Battery Pack
Integrated Security Device Fingerprint Reader
Microsoft Office Microsoft Office 2010 Home & Business Edition 

Wish me luck! Hopefully I will have some positive help for others attempting to use Win8 later today.

Jeff_M, also a frequent Swamper
EESignature
Tags (3)
7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8
dasindog
in reply to: Jeff_M

Good luck! I was worried there for a second that this was another post complaining about the lack of win8 support. haha.

-Dustin
Civil 3D 2013 64 bit SP1
Windows 7 Pro 64
Intel Xeon 2.93GHz
24GB RAM
NVIDIA Quadro FX 580
explodetheblock.wordpress.com
Message 3 of 8
wfberry

Sounds good Jeff.  I have a Lenovo "Hybrid" that lets me open up a file, then watch it crash.  Kinda boring after a while. Perhaps you can offer some insight.  I think I have tried about everything that I found here in the "groups".  Fortunately, I don't really need it for Civil 3D but would like to.

Bill

Message 4 of 8
Mark_Castle
in reply to: wfberry

I have an older machine at home that I upgraded from XP to Win 8 when Microsoft was offering the upgrade for $40. I installed C3D 2013 on it, and if I run Civil 3D as plain AutoCAD and stick to AutoCAD routines it works well. I've run into problems, though, trying to manipulate Civil 3D objects, or even just running the program using the regular Civil 3D desktop shortcut. I will say I haven't spent much time with the Civil 3D routines, and I have been working with drawings created by earlier versions. Maybe starting clean would help. I'm running SP1 BTW. Good luck. Smiley Happy

Mark Castle
Win 10 64-Bit, Thinkpad P50
16 GB RAM; Core i7-6820HQ; Quadro M1000M
Message 5 of 8
neilyj666

I was a bit taken aback at first when I saw the Post and poster....Smiley Wink but it looks like a decent enough machine

neilyj (No connection with Autodesk other than using the products in the real world)
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

AEC Collection 2024 UKIE (mainly Civil 3D UKIE and IW)
Win 11 Pro x64, 1Tb Primary SSD, 1Tb Secondary SSD
64Gb RAM Intel(R) Xeon(R) W-11855M CPU @ 3.2GHz
NVIDIA RTX A5000 16Gb, Dual 27" Monitor, Dell Inspiron 7760
Message 6 of 8
gccdaemon

We put civil 3D on a couple of work computers with windows 8 and havn't had any problems with them. The important this is to right click the Setup.exe and run as administrator. Also to make sure you get better load times with Civil 3D install it on the SSD...BIG improvement in performance.

Andrew Ingram
Civil 3D x64 2019
Win 10 x64 Pro
Intel Xeon E5-1620
32 GB Ram
Message 7 of 8
ToddRogers-WPM

I figured out that if you uninstall .NET Framework from Windows 8 and install .NET Framework 3.5 SP1, it will work just fine on Windows 8. Smiley Happy

Todd Rogers
BIM Manager
Blog | Twitter | LinkedIn

Tags (2)
Message 8 of 8
Jeff_M

Well, this may take longer than I had planned for. It all started with UPS not finding my house until 6:15 p.m. (it was supposed to be delivered before noon). Then the "easier than ever file sharing" wasn't...I still cannot share a drive with my older Win7 laptop. Then there is the Win 3.1 era looking GUI. IMHO, it plain stinks...partially because it IS so plain. It took me a little while to get used to the Aero in Vista and then Win7, but now i LIKE it. Win8 has taken all that away. I honestly feel like I'm back on my old 80486 testing the 'new' WinNT.

I guess you can say that, thus far, I am thoroughly unimpressed. And I haven't even begun installing any Autodesk software...

Jeff_M, also a frequent Swamper
EESignature

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report