Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Profile grade labels on Alignment with Direction

9 REPLIES 9
Message 1 of 10
onsionsi1
1776 Views, 9 Replies

Profile grade labels on Alignment with Direction

As i mentioned in the subject is the a way to get an arrow with Ascend grade differ than descend grade from profile on the alignment label.

To clarify that i need the Ascend grade to have an arrow with the increasing of station on alignment and the descend grade have an arrow has a direction on opposite to the increasing of alignment station.

Please do not forget approve as solutions and Points
to Remember Please Accept as Solution and Kudos Please
9 REPLIES 9
Message 2 of 10
jjfuller
in reply to: onsionsi1

It seems to me you could do this using the station profile geometry point label style but it would take a few expressions. The label would need a block component for the direction arrow and an expression to determine the rotation of the direction arrow. I suspect that it will take a few other expressions to determine if the grade is ascending or descending in increasing station and vice versa.
Jon Fuller

Infrastructure Design Suite Premium - Latest Version
Civil 3D - Latest Version
Message 3 of 10
onsionsi1
in reply to: jjfuller

Jon it's a good idea but do you know what is the expression that I have to do to solve my issue
Message 4 of 10
Joe-Bouza

This is how I did it: 

I made a profile geomtry point label style the addes GradeIn and GradeOut to the pvi's (i'm sure it could be adjusted to accomodate a VC)

In the style I created and two headed arrow using a line component a oothe _solidFill arrow block. So composing it looked like this <--------->

Arrow1 for negative grade and Arrow2 for positive grade, were the block names

I made two expressions

IF({Grade In}<=0,.1/12,0.00001) (for negative grade)

IF({Grade In}>=0,.1/12,0.00001) (for positive grade)

assign these to the block height in the composer and the appropriate arrow shows based on grade

gradeingradeout.PNG

Joe Bouza
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 5 of 10
onsionsi1
in reply to: jjfuller

Jon Thank you for your support i got the expression

Message 6 of 10
Joe-Bouza

@onsionsi1 which are you using?

@jjfuller & @onsionsi1  i am pleased with the label style and the expressions placing the label midway between PVI's , but all goes kablooee when I add a VC, as far as the placement goes.

I added an expression for the x offset of the label to be halfway between PVI's , but it appears c3d does not recognize the pvi when a vc is added, although the codestyle does.

how are you placing the grade label on the alignments? I attached my drawing for reference

Joe Bouza
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 7 of 10
jjfuller
in reply to: Joe-Bouza

Joe - Downloaded your drawing and I verified the issue.  I removed the label from the label group and when I added it back only slected the PVI and profile end station as geometry points to label - and it worked fine. Nice job on the solution!  Why that would make a differnce is beyond me, but I guess C3D uses the labels instead of the geometry to determine the next geometry point. 

Like always there is never a blanket solution.  The x offset strategy falls apart when horizontal curves are thrown into the mix, which is frusting because we are so close to nailing this down!  Because roadways generally have vertical curves I wonder if it would be better to place the labels at the BVC and EVC stations as opposed to the PVI.  Then no x offset would be necessary.  I guess it really depends on what the scenario is.  - Just brainstorming here.

If anyone is interested I created the arrow using the AECCArrow (because it includes the line and arrow head) and used the expression

IF({Grade In}>=0,0,DEG2RAD(180)) to set the angle in the label style.  Not that its any better but it does cut down on the number of elements.

Your Dwg attached for reference.

Jon Fuller

Infrastructure Design Suite Premium - Latest Version
Civil 3D - Latest Version
Message 8 of 10
F.Camargo
in reply to: Joe-Bouza

@Joe-Bouza wrote:

This is how I did it: 

I made a profile geomtry point label style the addes GradeIn and GradeOut to the pvi's (i'm sure it could be adjusted to accomodate a VC)

In the style I created and two headed arrow using a line component a oothe _solidFill arrow block. So composing it looked like this <--------->

Arrow1 for negative grade and Arrow2 for positive grade, were the block names

I made two expressions

IF({Grade In}<=0,.1/12,0.00001) (for negative grade)

IF({Grade In}>=0,.1/12,0.00001) (for positive grade)

assign these to the block height in the composer and the appropriate arrow shows based on grade

gradeingradeout.PNG

@Joe-Bouza

Hi Joseph

I'm trying to do exactly you mentioned, and it isn't working for me. The arrow direction isn't right.

Could you help me, please?

@jjfuller

I'm using your dwg file to understand how to do that, and isn't working as well.

BTW I'd like to fix the label for low and high point at the profile and isn't working properly. 

File attached

Thanks in advance

Fabricio

Message 9 of 10
F.Camargo
in reply to: F.Camargo

Hi guys,

I've fixed the arrow direction problem!!

Now it is working fantastic!!

I just need to fix the label for high and low point at the profile. 

I think is better create a new post about it.

Thanks 

Fabricio

Message 10 of 10
costas_mi
in reply to: F.Camargo

Hola my friend 

Could you please tell me how you fixed the arrow fixed the arrow direction problem?

thanks in advance!

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report