Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Performance Issues attaching xrefs

10 REPLIES 10
SOLVED
Message 1 of 11
jkeller
1805 Views, 10 Replies

Performance Issues attaching xrefs

I'm having a problmen attaching xref's in C3D 2012.  Even statring from a new fresh drawing, when I attach an xref it takes several minutes.  I see the xref appear in the drawing immediately but then C3D hangs for 5 minutes.  I applied the hotfix for xrefs that came out some time ago but that did not fix the problem.  Any suggestions?  Thanks.

10 REPLIES 10
Message 2 of 11
SethHall
in reply to: jkeller

Hi jkeller-

Try applying this performance hotfix and see if that helps: http://usa.autodesk.com/getdoc/id=DL17013122

Seth Hall
Product Owner
Model Builder
Message 3 of 11
jkeller
in reply to: SethHall

I already applied the hotfix you suggest, does not fix my issue.

Message 4 of 11
SethHall

Clearly stated in your original post Smiley Sad sorry about that... That hotfix should have resolved this issue.

That being said does this occur with all drawings or just a certain data set?

Are you pulling your data over a network? Try moving the drawings locally and test, see if performance improves.

Does this happen on all machines of just this one?

Seth Hall
Product Owner
Model Builder
Message 5 of 11
jkeller
in reply to: SethHall

Thanks for your reply and help.  This problem occurs an all drawings, not just one data set.  I am working on files located on the computer hard-drive (not over a network).  Lastly, I have not tried on a separate machine so I will try that.  Question, could the number of layers or number of sheets (paper space tabs) have any influence on attaching xrefs.  I ask becuase this probkem did not occur until I started working with a template file with a large number of layers and PS tabs.

Thanks,

Jason

Message 6 of 11
Jbruce1965

Hello,

We are using C3D 2011 and have noticed many performance issues using Xrefs.  It would be great if Autodesk would implement a button to turn off C3D features when attaching Xrefs.  This could be added to the Xref window beside the "attach" and "overlay" settings as "turn off C3D Features."  What do you think?

Message 7 of 11
hgohel

What you're describing is something that was fixed by the AutoCAD performance hotfix that is mentioned in this thread.  Could you double-check that the hotfix is, indeed, applied on your system?  Check file versions and dates in your install directory with the version from the hotfix.  Thanks.

Himanshu Gohel
Autodesk, Inc.
Message 8 of 11
Jbruce1965

The hotfix in this link is for C3D 2012.  I am using C3D 2011 E.208.N.0 Version 3.  Is there another hotfix that I should be aware of?

Thank you.

Message 9 of 11
hgohel
in reply to: Jbruce1965

Hi JBruce1965,

The performance problems you are experiencing with C3D 2011 may be something completely separate from what the OP is describing and the hotfix we're discussing for C3D 2012, so it would be best if you start a new thread with details about your situation.  Thanks.

Himanshu Gohel
Autodesk, Inc.
Message 10 of 11
jmayo-EE

" Question, could the number of layers or number of sheets (paper space tabs) have any influence on attaching xrefs."

The test is easy. Start a new file with the acad.dwt template unedited and empty. Draw a pline in it and save it.

Start a new file from acad.dwt and place the file above in it as an xref. Does the issue persist?

John Mayo

EESignature

Message 11 of 11
jkeller

I believe I found the issue....large number of layer filters.  After reading up on other posts, layer filters can slow down a drawing.  When attaching xref's or inserting other drawings with a large number of layer filters it can take a while for the dwg to attach or insert.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report