Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Layer filter question: multiple criteria

6 REPLIES 6
SOLVED
Message 1 of 7
deltacoolguy
1473 Views, 6 Replies

Layer filter question: multiple criteria

I already have a layer properties filter that doesn't show x-ref layers in the layer dialog box (~*|**).

I want a filter that does that PLUS doesn't show layers that start with DT-*, EX-*, FU-*, SV-*. I have figured out sub-filters but it only wants to allow me one of those options at a time. If I try to add a second filter, on either the same line or another line within the same filter, it eliminates the previous filter criteria. AutoCAD's help files aren't very helpful in this regard.

If I have four naming conventions I want to filter out do I need a cascading list of four sub-filters under the "no xref" filter? Is there a way to list ALL the differing filter criteria I want within one single property filter?

I have used layer grouops for times when there is a short list of things I want to see, but in this case that would be more unweildy than what I think should be able to be done here, I think.

Thanks

Windows 10-64 Pro
8GB RAM (Home)
12GB RAM (Work)
AutoCAD Civil 3D 2019
6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
tcorey
in reply to: deltacoolguy

Make a layer filter like this:

Screenshot.png

Then, when back in the layer dialog, right click and pick Invert Filter.

Invert.png

Now your layer dialog will show neither xref layers nor the others you specified.

Best regards,

Tim

Tim Corey
MicroCAD Training and Consulting, Inc.
Redding, CA
Autodesk Gold Reseller

New knowledge is the most valuable commodity on earth. -- Kurt Vonnegut
Message 3 of 7
Joe-Bouza
in reply to: tcorey

More than one way to skin a cat. (!)

Your Name
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

Your Name

EESignature

Message 4 of 7
h.sullivan
in reply to: Joe-Bouza

Has anyone found another way to do this?  I find toggleing the 'invert filter' just for this one layer filter too many extra clicks.

In my case I want to:

remove XREF layers: ~*|*

keep only electrical layers: E-*

remove demo layers: ~*-D

remove existing layers: ~*-E

(I've figured out how to combine the last two into one line: ~*-[DE], maybe this is not helpful?)

I wish my corporate standards would just suffix new layers with '-N' and my life would be simpler!

Thanks!

Message 5 of 7

I was researching layer filters and related subjects and I found this question, I started investigating it further and by chance I believe I have a solution.  I am running Civil 3D 2014.

With respect to the OP's question, I was able to create a filter that successfully removed multiple entries from the list by using (abusing?) order of operations.  So to remove layers that start with DT-*, EX-*, FU-*, and SV-* you would create a layer filter and fill in the name field to read:

~(DT-*,EX-*,FU-*,SV-*)

this will apply the NOT criteria of the ~ to the entire contents of the parenthesis, otherwise yea, it seems to get confused by multiple ~ entries =/

With respect to h.sullivan's question, your request reads(to me anyway):  do not show xref layers, do not show demo layers, do not show existing layers, only show electrical layers.  which will basically cancel out and resolve itself if you just create a layer filter that only shows the electrical layers, which by default excludes xref, demo and existing, provided there is no overlap like electrical demo or existing electric etc.

If however your question is 'how can I surpress xref, demo and existing but still show all electrical layers, even if they are also in an xref, on demo or on existing?'  you can set up your layer filter as follows on two rows(order doesn't matter, the E-* can be on top or bottom):

~(*|*,*-D,*-E)

E-*

this will remove all the xref layers, all the demo layers tagged with *-D, all the existing layers tagged with *-E, but it will also show everything marked with E-*, including entries that occur on layers that would otherwise be excluded by the previous filter.  It doesn't filter out the rest of the list though, so plumbing for instance would still show up(no clue why).

If your intent is to show only electrical layers that are not in an xref, not on a demo layer, and not existing you can use a set of nested property filters:

Filter 1: ~(*|*,*-D,*-E)

Nested Filter 2: E-*

this will remove all xref layers, all demo layers and all existing layers, then filter the survivors to only show electricals.  this works the same if the order is reversed as well.

also, if you append -n onto every new layer, when would it be considered old enough to remove the -n notation?  your project would be half full of -n layers by the time you were done 😛

Hope that will be of help to somebody and isn't too convoluted!

Good luck!

Message 6 of 7
deltacoolguy
in reply to: deltacoolguy

A little late getting back to this, but these suggestions are awesome.

Windows 10-64 Pro
8GB RAM (Home)
12GB RAM (Work)
AutoCAD Civil 3D 2019
Message 7 of 7

Can't believe I managed to not find this every time I searched for exactly this information.
You are a star. Please have all the cookies, you deserve them.

This info really needs to be added to the official help file.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report