Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Improvements using Corridors for Open Ditch projects

7 REPLIES 7
Message 1 of 8
MKWeb2
243 Views, 7 Replies

Improvements using Corridors for Open Ditch projects

I would like to see an option where I can create a corridor and assembly for an open ditch that would allow me to place the excavated soils quantity along the top bank at that station. I have attached a typical section showing how the finished section should look. Essentially, each section would pull the quantity of excavated soil and then place half of that quantity on each side of the ditch at the top of bank.

typ-section.png

7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8
gchakri
in reply to: MKWeb2

@MKWeb2: A very interesting approach! So you want to compute the cut areas at each section and that you want to compute fill polygons of 1/2 that cut on each side to prevent soil erosion, subjected to max slope? I am assuming if there is any extra you want to mass-haul it. Something with .NET subassemblies it could be tried as a custom content to that effect (thinking out loud). 

A few questions, (a) how common this kind of operation in your line of work? (b) don't you want to see it as an optimized approach along the ditch length as against section by section (subjected to free-haul convenience)?

Chakri.G

Senior Product Manager

Message 3 of 8
MKWeb2

We do these types of sections on every project we do for the Drainage Districts (which is 70% +/- of our normal workload). They do NOT use a truck to haul the spoils and spread them out, they simply use a single trackhoe or backhoe to pull the soil up to the top of the ditch.

Message 4 of 8
MKWeb2

We do these types of sections on every project we do for the Drainage Districts (which is 70% +/- of our normal workload). They do NOT use a truck to haul the spoils and spread them out, they simply use a single trackhoe or backhoe to pull the soil up to the top of the ditch.

Message 5 of 8
MKWeb2

A little more information regarding why we would need these as an option.

Many of the drainage districts have miles of open ditches and when it comes time to clean them out (usually every other year depending on the amount of rain we receive) they do NOT use any type of hauling. Just a single trackhoe or backhoe on each side of the channel to pull the dirt out and place it along the top of the existing bank. The contractor is paid by 100 foot segments based on the quantity of dirt moved within that 100 feet.

Message 6 of 8
gchakri

Thanks @MKWeb2 - I will take this workflow and discuss with the product team to see how best this can be addressed. Coudl you also please add this in our Civil 3D Ideas (if not done already). https://forums.autodesk.com/t5/autocad-civil-3d-ideas/idb-p/31/tab/most-recent

Thanks

Chakri.G

Senior Product Manager

Message 7 of 8
sboon
in reply to: gchakri

An interesting problem.  I would approach this using two assemblies and two corridors.  The first would be an excavation only assembly, to show the newly cut ditch and the excavated surface.  From there I would create sample lines and generate sectional cut areas.  NOTE - Shrink and swell factors would become important for the next stage, so applying appropriate values would be necessary.

Once you have a table of fill area for each section you would need an assembly that can read it and work out the two polygon shapes.  Run that in a second corridor.

Steve
Please use the Accept as Solution or Kudo buttons when appropriate

Steve
Expert Elite Alumnus
Message 8 of 8
MKWeb2
in reply to: sboon

@Anonymous,

What I would prefer is to have a conditional assembly that I could attach to the TOB Feature line that would read the cut volume and divide that in half. The foreslope would need to match the sideslope of the ditch section and then the backslope would default to 10:1 (in most cases for us at least) and the height of the berm would be determined by the volume of cut (divided by 2). Of course, I would like to have the daylight Feature Line added at the base of the backslope too. 🙂

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report