Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

IFC export from Civil3d creates not IFC

4 REPLIES 4
Message 1 of 5
DRossger
1030 Views, 4 Replies

IFC export from Civil3d creates not IFC

Hello!

I ´m looking for people which have experience with IFC export from Civil3d eith a Drawing caption is a Surface.

I have heard there are some problems  that IFC from Civil3d is not formed after IFC standard. That is reason for example that Solibri Model Viewer can´t read file correctly. Somebody know more about and can give explanation why is difficult.  As I test it there is no problem to read IFC from Civil3d in Navisworks but both Systems are not standards after IFC. 

4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
tcorey
in reply to: DRossger

Try converting the surface to a solid and then export the solid as IFC. Use the ExportSurfacetoSolid command to create the solid.

Tim Corey
MicroCAD Training and Consulting, Inc.
Redding, CA
Autodesk Gold Reseller

New knowledge is the most valuable commodity on earth. -- Kurt Vonnegut
Message 3 of 5
MikeEvansUK

Since ifc won't recognise a surface (yet) there really is no need to export to ifc is there?
I don't know the app you mention but the workflow I always use with revit may work and save hassle..

Explode surface with triangles displaying.
Explode blocked surface & select all triangle faces. Copy to new file and quickly undo before you get a crash 🙂

Now in revit, 3D faces are great for level markers but rubbish for sections. Regions are great for sections but not faces. I export both accordingly to a dwg file.

I believe a similar approach should work you just need to find the right conduit for transferring.

I really only use ifc for pipe work with obj props added.

M
Mike Evans

Civil3D 2022 English
Windows 7 Professional 64-bit
Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-3820 CPU @ 3.60GHz (8 CPUs), ~4.0GHz With 32768MB RAM, AMD FirePro V4900, Dedicated Memory: 984 MB, Shared Memory: 814 MB

Message 4 of 5
DRossger
in reply to: MikeEvansUK

Hello!

Thanks for your suggestions. I could solve problem, as long I can see there is no problem to export exploded Surface in Civil3d. The reason why I try to modelling exploded Surface in Revit was to get a clean ifc-file from Revit because I have heard Civil3d ifc makes some trouble.

But this i no need, because you only have to check the coordinatesystem from for example building and ground model is the same. Units it does´t matter at all because Modelviewer like Solibri or Navisworks check units themselves. 

Message 5 of 5
f.rampf

I don't know whether this post is still relevant, but I'll answer anyway.

If you want to export your surface from Civil3D to IFC, you could check out the Plug-In I wrote: IFC Import/Export Plug-In for Civil 3D.

Note, that it takes a while to export the surface, if its big, so be patient ;). Also, it has to be a TIN surface in order to be exported correctly. I hope this is helpful in any way.

Regards,

Felix

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report