Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Help with Culvert Design

25 REPLIES 25
SOLVED
Message 1 of 26
RSOP636
3040 Views, 25 Replies

Help with Culvert Design

I have another question regarding the wing wall on the same culvert design I am working on. I am trying to figure out how to have the existing contour end at the wing walls. I would also like the have creek be aligned to the new culvert.

Again I am new at this program and we normally don't do this kind of work we normally work on redoing roads and new subdivisions.

Here is picture of what I did so far that seems to work I made a surface and combined my existing ground with the proposed road. 

Contours- Grading -6.png

I would like the contours to look something like shown below but not really sure how to do it.

Contours- Grading -7.png

somethings I have tried.

I added feature line of the bottom of the wings wall and culvert to the combined surface of the existing ground and proposed rd it did some things I liked but really wasn't what I was looking for.

I am not sure if I need to make an assembly for the creek and align to the new location of the culvert? 

If you could please help and give me some idea on what might work that would be great.

Thanks,

Roy

25 REPLIES 25
Message 2 of 26
cwr-pae
in reply to: RSOP636

Try a corridor on each side of the road to regrade the ditch to align it to the new box culvert or use a feature line with a grading on the outer face of the headwall. I generally use two corridors for a ditch like this because corridors don't always like being split around culverts.

Message 3 of 26
RSOP636
in reply to: cwr-pae

I am not sure what you mean by a corridor on each side of the road? Do you mean like a ditch corridor or something else. I did try this and it didn't go exactly the way I wanted.

I combined the proposed rd with the existing ground surface and got this.

Contours- Grading -10.pngContours- Grading -11.png

I added the blue lines as break lines to the combined surface at the lowest elevation of the wing walls (I am not sure if that was correct or if I should have added them at the highest elevation of the wing wall). No changes happened when I did this.

The reason I did this was because I did not like the way the contour look on the purple and yellow circles. The look sorta okay but it needs some more work to get the creek to go through the culvert. The purple circles are the worst those contours should crash and end at the wing wall but they continue right through it like it is not there.

The next or maybe this should be the first step I am not sure. I need to have the creek be re-aligned to this culvert like the yellow line shows.

Contours- Grading -12.png

So for your comment cwr I am not sure what the corridor will do for me that is why I am showing you more in depth of what I did to see if it still applies and if it does can you please elaborate on it more.

Thanks for the help so far I really appreciate you commenting back.

Message 4 of 26
cwr-pae

Yes, two new corridor do realign the ditch. It is possible to do with gradings but I prefer to avoid them if possible due to their inherent instability. Using feature lines as width targets for the bottom will allow you to match the existing ditch and widen the ditch as it approaches the culvert. Since it is not a paved ditch generic links should offer all the functionality needed.

Message 5 of 26
RSOP636

Any recommendations on assemblies for ditches I tried making my own assembly with sub-assemblies and it doesn't seem to do what I want? I was browsing through the tool pallet and the only way I see to make a ditch is start with NULL Assembly and then use a daylight general sub assembly but that doesn't seem to work, any other suggestions?

Message 6 of 26
cwr-pae

Create a new assembly (from the corridor menu) use generic link subassemblies (width and slope, slope to surface, offset on surface, etc.) to establish the shape you want for the ditch.  The ditch and daylight subassemblies are geared to being part of a larger road assembly, generic subassemblies are more suited to small stuff.

Message 7 of 26
RSOP636

I would still start with a NULL assembly correct?

Message 8 of 26
cwr-pae

I always start with an assembly created from the corridors menu, but the null assembly appears to be the same except for the name.

Message 9 of 26
RSOP636

OK I added the corridors like you mentioned and still did not make the contours like I wanted. I even add a wall break-line to possibly fix how the contours collide and go through the wall but no change in what I want.

here is are a couple of pictures of what the contours look like after trying some of your recommendations.

Contours- Grading -13.pngContours- Grading -14.png 

I am going to attach a Dropbox link to my file if you have time or don't mind taking a look at it to see if anything crazy stands out to you that might be wrong that would be a great help. If not I understand we all have very busy work schedules. 

https://www.dropbox.com/s/n3i2yptzpguda1b/Brush%20MTN%20South%20Culvert%20Design%202017-7%20-%20Stan...

Thanks for all the help so far I really appreciate what you have done so far and thank you for the quick responses. 

Message 10 of 26
cwr-pae

You can attach drawings directly to your posts. If I get a little time I'll look at the dwg and see what can be done. Or maybe some one else will chime in.

Message 11 of 26
RSOP636

Added file to my post its a zip file because I did a etransmit because I have stuff xref and I am not sure if you need all of it.

Message 12 of 26
brian.strandberg

I have not had time to look at your file (will look later if I can), but I have one nugget of advice.  It looks like your corridor is in the limits of what you want.  (hard to tell w/o looking at sections).  Have you been editing your surface directly?  Sometimes I find combining both the corridor and surface edits can make things worse rather than better.  I almost always add a few tweaks to the surface once I am 95% done. 

I rarely have time to post. If what I post helps please use Accept as Solution / Like when appropriate.

Check out my Civil 3d blog at: http://c3dk.com/
Message 13 of 26
cwr-pae

Downloaded the file, will try to  look tomorrow.

Message 14 of 26
RSOP636
in reply to: brian.strandberg

Brian,

I have not been editing the surface directly. and what kind of tweaks are you doing that help you?

Message 15 of 26
RSOP636

@cwr wrote:

Downloaded the file, will try to  look tomorrow.

ok thank you still have been trying different things got a little closer I think but still not exactly what I want. I also have been talking with the one guy that taught the civil 3d class I took and he also has been helping when he can. 

Message 16 of 26
brian.strandberg

I may do a few face-flips to get the contours to do what I want, and will sometimes add a surface smooth edit (for the same reason).  I end up doing this particularly in areas where the corridor is 'bow-tieing'. 

I'm sorry I havent looked at your file yet.  We had a major performance issue yesterday.

I rarely have time to post. If what I post helps please use Accept as Solution / Like when appropriate.

Check out my Civil 3d blog at: http://c3dk.com/
Message 17 of 26
cwr-pae

Finally got a chance to look.  Had to do some guess work on feature line elevations, but for example purposes it should be good enough. Also I drew the feature lines as straight lines, you can curve or segment (horizontal and vertical) them to get more of what you want

I think this is more like what you need to do to get what you want (north side of culvert). Remember, to build a headwall they will rip a huge hole in the creek, you need to regrade the channel completely (say 10 feet or more out from the wall).

Message 18 of 26
RSOP636

@cwr wrote:

Finally got a chance to look.  Had to do some guess work on feature line elevations, but for example purposes it should be good enough. Also I drew the feature lines as straight lines, you can curve or segment (horizontal and vertical) them to get more of what you want

I think this is more like what you need to do to get what you want (north side of culvert). Remember, to build a headwall they will rip a huge hole in the creek, you need to regrade the channel completely (say 10 feet or more out from the wall).

I don't see anything if you posted it? 

Message 19 of 26
cwr-pae

oops. Forgot to attach it. Friday afternoon and all that.

Message 20 of 26
tdivittis

In short, trying to do this with a corridor, in my opinion, is making a mountain out of a mole hill, so to speak.  You could build the walls with simple feature lines, relatively quickly.  If you have a corridor surface, pasted into a 'final grade' surface, split that region, so you can turn the corridor daylighting off, add the breaklines for the wall into the 'Final Grade' surface would take care of it.  (This brief reply is not doing the subject justice, and I apologize for that.  I will try to do it in your file and repost, later.)

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report