Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Forcing a Fill to Slope Upward From Corridor

13 REPLIES 13
SOLVED
Message 1 of 14
Ntuthuko.
1385 Views, 13 Replies

Forcing a Fill to Slope Upward From Corridor

Good Day

The attached file depicts two cases of a channel in a fill condition. Using the available daylight or cut/fill subassembly options results in a fill sloping down from top-of-channel to the surface in both cases, however I want the fill to slope upward in the first case and downward in the second, as shown in the images. I would ideally want to define this behaviour with Subassembly Composer but I have not figured out a way of achieving this. Please could I solicit the assistance of my learned fellow forum members?

All assistance is greatly appreciated.

Kindly

Ntuthuko

13 REPLIES 13
Message 2 of 14

I'll preface this with the fact I have not tried it.

what happens if you put a negative slope in, instead of positive (or the other way around)?

Thinking about it logically, you may have to use the parameter editor to modify it after the fact.  I'm not 100% positive how C3D determines a cut vs a fill section (certain distance out from the start point?)

Christopher T. Cowgill, P.E.

AutoCAD Certified Professional
Civil 3D Certified Professional
Civil 3D 2022 on Windows 10

Please select the Accept as Solution button if my post solves your issue or answers your question.

Message 3 of 14
Dexterel
in reply to: chriscowgill7373

Do you know Subassembly composer?
You can add a decision like this:
If you have solution to slope upwards and slope length is smaller than something, slope else -slope. Got it? If not I will can make a pkt file to show you.
Message 4 of 14
Ntuthuko.
in reply to: Dexterel

Hi Dexterel

yes, I have become reasonably familiar with Subassembly Composer, however please tell me how exactly to express that condition for the decision?

Thanks

Ntuthuko

Message 5 of 14
Dexterel
in reply to: Ntuthuko.

Download from url https://ufile.io/c58c1 PKT file

First decision check to have solution to slope upwards.

Second decision checks that the upwards slope length will be smaller than 10 (pick a reasonable length, you don't want a 1000 length slope).

Message 6 of 14
Ntuthuko.

That works perfectly. Thank you very much Dexterel. Your assistance is highly appreciated.

Ntuthuko

Message 7 of 14
Ntuthuko.

Just out of interest. Do you know how I can identify the top-of-bank in order to set the fill to extend to it regardless of the slope (provided the slope and distance are within certain limits, of course)?

I'm thinking the solution would entail somehow extracting from the surface a polyline that traces the top-of-bank and then targeting it?

Thanks

Ntuthuko

Message 8 of 14
Ntuthuko.

Sorry, I will post the above question as a separate thread.

Thank you.

Message 9 of 14
Dexterel

You need to have a polyline for the top of bank. Its ridicules hard to make a subassembly that finds top of bank.
You can add an extra decision in the beginning: target_offset.isvalid
- false make slope as before (slope to surface)
- true make slope offset on surface
If its not clear I will make a PKT
Message 10 of 14
Ntuthuko.

Yes please illustrate with a PKT if you don't mind. That will be helpful.

Thank you.

Ntuthuko
Message 11 of 14
Dexterel

Message 12 of 14
Ntuthuko.

My Apologies. I've been unable to sign in for a while now. Thank you for going through the trouble of assisting me. Much appreciated.

Ntuthuko

Message 13 of 14
Sriram.S.Dali

Hi, I am struck with the same problem, can I get the PKT as it is showing as its been removed

Message 14 of 14
ChrisRS
in reply to: Sriram.S.Dali

Comment deleted. I misread.

Christopher Stevens
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report