Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Feature line on edge of corridor busts surface

10 REPLIES 10
Message 1 of 11
b.stark
605 Views, 10 Replies

Feature line on edge of corridor busts surface

Does anyone have an explanation for the bust in the surface in the image?

What is happening is that I am setting a feature line on a lot line that originates from the edge of my road corridor. The corridor surface comes from a different drawing and is dref'd into my "finished grade" drawing. Then I start my lot grading using the corridor surface to set the beginning elevation of my feature line and grading into the lot from there.

As you can see from the images, at random points along the corridor(it does not happen everywhere), it completely destroys the curb of the surface. Its like the triangulation from the corridor surface forgets the top of the curb and the sidewalk/parkstrip and builds directly from the curb flowline to the feature line I created.

There are some workarounds to get around this but I am looking for an answer to why this is happening. A feature line on the edge of a corridor, at the elevation of the corridor should not cause the triangulation to bust from a point several feet away.

Thank you in advance.

10 REPLIES 10
Message 2 of 11
Joe-Bouza
in reply to: b.stark

It probably has to do with the build order.

Are you adding feature lines to a corridor surface? If so dont. You will have an easier time pasting the corridor into an empty surface and adding your off road modifications. Much easier controlling the build order

Joe Bouza
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 3 of 11
tcorey

You mentioned having parcels. If the feature line and the parcels are in the same site, the parcels can affect your gradings/surfaces.

Tim Corey
MicroCAD Training and Consulting, Inc.
Redding, CA
Autodesk Gold Reseller

New knowledge is the most valuable commodity on earth. -- Kurt Vonnegut
Message 4 of 11
b.stark
in reply to: Joe-Bouza

Negative. Corridor surface is in a different file and data referenced into my "final" surface.

Message 5 of 11
b.stark
in reply to: tcorey

I am not using parcels. Just good old 2d linework in a base file that I am designing feature lines over, for lack of a better word.

Message 6 of 11
Joe-Bouza

Reading is FUNdeMental. Sorry for not digesting your thread fully.

I am setting a feature line on a lot line that originates from the edge of my road corridor... Does this mean you are relying on elevation from surface to set the Feature line? Seems like an inconsistency in the edge of corridor elevations. Have you compared them in this area?

I might consider and alignment and surface profile from corridor dref to you final surface and create feature line from alignment/ profile. Then I know the feature line and corridor were in sync

Joe Bouza
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 7 of 11
b.stark

I do rely on an elevation from surface. What I do is place an elevation label at the endpoint that references the corridor surface and then either snap to that label or use the quick elevation editor to set the elevation to the surface.

I like the idea of using the alignment and surface profile suggestion, I hadn't thought of that, thank you, and will look at using that in the future. These projects where not too many lots front a road, I can set those elevations pretty quick.

But really what I am trying to get to the bottom of is why this is happening when I know my FL elevations are exactly those of the corridor and in very random places, it breaks the triangulation of the corridor, skipping "breaklines" (the top part of the curb assembly) that are definite parts of the corridor.

Thank you for your input

Message 8 of 11
Dexterel

upload your dwg and you will get all explications.

Message 9 of 11
Joe-Bouza

Hidden in my a message is the build order. move the corridor surface up or down in the build order and see if it changes

Joe Bouza

EESignature

Message 10 of 11
b.stark

Pretty much the easiest solution is to make the frequency of the corridor tighter and it makes it go away.

I just cant wrap my head around why you need to do that. Before the feature line, the surface is perfect through the corridor cross section. Add the feature lines and at completely random spots the surface then builds from the gutter flowline to the feature line ignoring all other corridor information along the way.

Message 11 of 11
wfberry

Have you turned on your TIN lines.  Most times this gives you the WHY.

Bill

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report