Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Crosshairs Disappear After Selecting Intelligent Objects (C3D 2016)

16 REPLIES 16
SOLVED
Message 1 of 17
Anonymous
2040 Views, 16 Replies

Crosshairs Disappear After Selecting Intelligent Objects (C3D 2016)

First of all, this is NOT the same old "my crosshairs have disappeared in a viewport" problem.

Around the time my company switched to C3D 2015 (we have since upgraded to 2016), we've started encountering this problem: whenever we select an intelligent object (pipe/structure/feature line/etc...) and then hit ESC to deselect the object, the crosshairs disappear and we are left with the standard cursor. To get the crosshairs back, we must click anywhere within model space (which creates a selection window, so it knows where the crosshairs should be, it’s just not visible) then hit ESC or click again. While it started out as a minor nuisance, after ~1.5 years of dealing with it, it has become infuriating.

This occurs in both model tab and viewports, and only when intelligent objects are selected & deselected. This does not happen to coworkers in a different office/city. We have compared system variables & settings on everything we can imagine with no luck. I have run Repairs with no avail. I was just issued a brand new computer, which also did not fix the issue.

AutoCAD C3D 2016 SP2.0

Hardware Acceleration is OFF

Windows 10 (happens to other in-house coworkers on Windows 7 as well)

16 REPLIES 16
Message 2 of 17
krzysztof.psujek
in reply to: Anonymous

Have you tried operate with 3DCONFIG?

Maybe this will help (if you haven't checked it yet)

https://forums.autodesk.com/t5/autocad-2013-2014-2015-2016-2017/autocad-lt-2015-crosshair-cursors-di...

Chris

Message 3 of 17
Anonymous
in reply to: krzysztof.psujek

Unfortunately, this is one of the first things we checked way back when it first started. I have verified (on multiple occasions) that this is not a solution for this particular problem.

Message 4 of 17
jmayo-EE

Try turning LINEFADING off.

John Mayo

EESignature

Message 5 of 17
jmayo-EE
in reply to: jmayo-EE

Sorry,

Turn linefading off, reset hardware accel and test. If this doesn't work try just leaving hardware accel off.

John Mayo

EESignature

Message 6 of 17
Anonymous

Unfortunately, all combinations of the two yielded no change.

Message 7 of 17
jmayo-EE

In 3dconfig did you try unchecking High Quality Geometry (forcapable devices)?

John Mayo

EESignature

Message 8 of 17
Anonymous

I typically run with Hardware Acceleration turned off, which turns off everything but Smooth Line Display and Uncompressed Textures. To cover all of my bases, I tested with Hardware Acceleration on, but turned off the High Quality Geometry (while keeping LINEFADING off), and there is no change.

I also toyed with the Smooth Line Display, to no avail.

Message 9 of 17
Anonymous

I'm having the same issue, just upgraded to C3D 2016 on a new computer and I'm losing my crosshairs after selecting an intelligent object.  I've tried turning off the 3DCONFIG options, line fading, and line smoothing but no luck.

Message 10 of 17
Anonymous

[SOLUTION]

Hopefully this isn't too late, but I found something that worked on my machine with the same problem.

My typical setup has the properties pallet docked to the right with auto-hide turned OFF.  Closing the properties pallet eliminated the problem entirely, but undocking it or turning auto-hide to ON relieved the problem as well, just not to the same extent.  Give it a shot - hope it helps!

Message 11 of 17
Anonymous

Wow, how about that. It worked! Not sure how you stumbled upon that one, but thank you!

Message 12 of 17
Anonymous

I know this topic is a bit old, and I'm still on 2014, but I've found that closing a Panorama using the "X" , instead of using the green check will trigger the hidden cursor problem on my system. I haven't found a way to bring it back except to close and re-open the drawing. Maybe 2017 will have this fixed? (We were supposed to have 2017 installed by Dec 5th. Doubt we'll see it until about the time 2018 is released!)

Message 13 of 17
Anonymous

Is not fixed in 2017. The only solution I have found is to un-dock the properties palette. Not my favorite solution, but at least it works.

This email and any files transmitted with it are intended solely for the use of the individual and/or entity to whom it is addressed. Unless noted otherwise above, any distribution or copying of this email is strictly prohibited. This email is not a binding agreement on behalf of W&A. If you have received this message in error, please immediately notify the sender and delete this message from your computer. Wolverton & Associates, Inc. 6745 Sugarloaf Parkway, Ste 100, Duluth, GA. 30097 www.wolverton-assoc.com
Message 14 of 17
MarySeufert

Another random way to bring back missing crosshairs:

Hover over the in-drawing display style settings (located upper left of drawing window in model space or thru VP)

Crosshairs.png

EXPERT ELITE MEMBER
Message 15 of 17
Cadguru42
in reply to: MarySeufert

This has been happening to me as well since 2015. I keep the Properties palette docked on the right side as well. I'll try undocking, but keeping the window large and always opened on the right to see if it changes the cursor losing focus. 

EDIT: That does seem to fix it. Strange that the properties window would cause the cursor to lose focus from the model space. 

C3D 2022-2024
Windows 10 Pro
32GB RAM
Message 16 of 17
Anonymous
in reply to: Cadguru42

The properties palette trick doesn't work for me. I found that if I re-open the Panorama, and then close it with the green check, my cursor comes back. The panorama that this occurs in is the Volumes Dashboard with bounded volumes.

Curious thing is that I deleted the volumes surface, then did an undo, and now I can't get the cursor to disappear. I closed and re-opened the drawing, and I can close the panorama with the "X", and the cursor doesn't disappear. C3D fixed itself?

Message 17 of 17
EnvEng
in reply to: MarySeufert

Thanks - that worked for me - I clicked the 2DWireframe label at the top left corner of the drawing window instead of hovering, but either way it did the trick.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report