Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cogo Points Text Size Changes in Paper Space Versus Model Space

7 REPLIES 7
Message 1 of 8
Anonymous
13426 Views, 7 Replies

Cogo Points Text Size Changes in Paper Space Versus Model Space

Hi. I'm using cogo points to display points and elevations. Unfotunately the result is the cogo point text scales to the actual size in paper space that it is set to in the suvey file. So if it is set to 2' in model space it will display as 2" in paper space. This happens no matter the paper space annotation or standard scale. See below for  an illustration.

Untitled.jpg

Points In model space

Untitled 2.jpg

Points In paper space.

This is not the intended result of course. My other text, trees, manholes, line widths are not scaling up like the text is doing. Why is this happening? Is there any way to make the text stay the size as displayed in model space?

Thank you.

7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8
Sinc
in reply to: Anonymous

As an important point, Civil 3D labels do not use the Annotation Scales.  Those only apply to the core Autocad Annotative functionality, such as Annotative MText/MLeaders/Dimensions/Blocks.

It gets a bit confusing, though, because the scale in the status bar at the bottom of the screen will change two things at once...  I'm talking about this:

Scale.png

If you're in a paperspace viewport, it will change both the Viewport Scale and the Annotation Scale for that viewport.  If you're in modelspace, it will change both the current modelspace Annotation Scale and the Drawing Scale.  The Drawing Scale (also accessible via the Drawing Settings) is what controls the way C3D Labels are scaled in modelspace.

If you created a text style that has your text set to 2", then it's no surprise that you see very large text in your prints.  C3D Labels auto-scale in paperspace so that the text prints at the height set in the Style.  So when you tell it to print 2"-high text, you get 2"-high text in your prints.  And 2"-high text is VERY VERY BIG.

So the easiest thing to do is go into paperspace, and figure out what scale you want your final print at, and set your paperspace viewport accordingly. (using that scale in the Stauts Bar, in the image above)  Then go into modelspace, and set modelspace to the same scale.  That way, what you see in modelspace will be the same thing you see in your paperspace viewports.  This will probably require you to go into your Point Styles and set the height to a more-sane value, like 0.08" or 0.10", as opposed to 2".

Sinc
Message 3 of 8
Anonymous
in reply to: Sinc

Guru,

So tonight I actually went back to an old drawing and tried your suggestion. The cogo points are working as they should. They respond to changing the annotation scale.

I tried changing the annotation scale and drawing scale in the drawing in the original post like you said. The cogo points were still unresponsive for some reason. There must have been some other setting I changed. My ultimate solution was to explode all the cogo points for my latest drawing and change the size manually.

This has been very frustrating and time consuming. At least I learned a couple of things from this experience. Thank you for your help Guru.

A

Message 4 of 8
Sinc

Ouch.  Things should not be that painful.

I meant what I said, about Annotative Sales having ABSOLUTELY NOTHING to do with the way C3D Labels are scaled (and that includes Cogo Point labels).  This is one of those areas where I think Autodesk created unnecessarily-complicated stuff, that just makes their products harder to use.  But once you figure out Autodesk's insane philosophy, you can get it to work well.  You just need to learn "the tricks".

I'll add a demo of that to my list...

Sinc
Message 5 of 8
Anonymous
in reply to: Sinc

I have a hard time getting my head around this. Whern and where is the demo you mentioned?

Message 6 of 8
AllenJessup

Unfortunately the person you have replied to passed away a couple of years ago. Even if the did add a demo, I don't believe any of them are available any more.

Allen

Allen Jessup
CAD Manager - Designer
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 7 of 8
Anonymous
in reply to: AllenJessup

Ok sorry to hear that. I guess I will find the information somewhere
else.
Message 8 of 8
AllenJessup

You can start HERE and HERE. If I'm plotting things like stakeout diagrams I often don't want point label height to change. I use THIS method to set a constant height.

Allen

Allen Jessup
CAD Manager - Designer
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report