Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Civil3D 2016 Lag issue

34 REPLIES 34
SOLVED
Message 1 of 35
civilSD
5619 Views, 34 Replies

Civil3D 2016 Lag issue

We've been using 2016 for a few weeks and the issues we are having regarding the command lag time are extreme.  The lag time seems to be worse in sheet files versus base files.  After picking an item, there is at least a 5-10 second delay before the software moves on - sometimes more and sometimes a complete freeze.

I've tried all the suggestions I could find and nothing seems to help.  In fact, some just resulted in AutoCAD crashing and me wanting to take a hammer to my computer.  Getting anything done has become painful!

Any suggestions?  Is Autodesk working on this????  Thanks!

34 REPLIES 34
Message 21 of 35
KirkNoonan
in reply to: civilSD

2014 is pretty solid. We've recently upgraded to 2015. One tip for future reference - most people don't upgrade until Service Pack 1 for that version has been released. We usually just stay a year behind. That way, many of the bugs have been addressed in the service pack or people have found work arounds.

Message 22 of 35
civilSD
in reply to: KirkNoonan

Kirk - this is another issue but I hope you know the answer - plan production does not copy the pipe network labels to the destination drawing.  I've recreated the sheets and still nothing.  The labels are in the design file profile.  I even picked the labels in the source profile as well as checking the option to 'copy' - please see attachment.  I've checked styles and settings in the destination drawing and all seems fine.  This has never worked for us - even in 2014.  Do you know of a solution?  Or maybe it's just not part of the software???

Thanks for all your help!  Claudia

PS: I've looked through others posts on this and haven't found a solution.  I did put out a new post for this topic today and can update it if there is a solution.  Thanks!

Message 23 of 35
KirkNoonan

I know that it doesn't work. I'm not sure if it is by design or not. I'm pretty sure that the intent is that everything is labeled in the sheets.

Our workflow is such that we have a label style that we use for design that we use in the design plan that shows the design-relevant information only and another that we use in the production plans to help the contractor understand what he's supposed to do. The fact that the labels don't bleed through is the behavior that we want. The labels will show if you XREF the design in to the sheets (back to the original problem).

I'm sure it's not the answer you were looking for - sorry.

Message 24 of 35
Hackett1980
in reply to: KirkNoonan

Back to the lag issure. I've tested with xrefs and they are the culprit as far as I can tell. Has anyone found any solution to this issue? Is there anyway of contacting autodesk directly to solve this kind of stuff?

Message 25 of 35
dgorsman
in reply to: Hackett1980

There may not be an immediate solution.

You can use your Subscription and/or reseller to file a support request.  Provide clear, precise instructions on how to duplicate the problem so the techs can test it on their end.  The quicker they can duplicate the problem the sooner they can figure out how easy any fix will be.

----------------------------------
If you are going to fly by the seat of your pants, expect friction burns.
"I don't know" is the beginning of knowledge, not the end.

Message 26 of 35
KirkNoonan
in reply to: dgorsman

@dgorsman wrote:

There may not be an immediate solution.

You can use your Subscription and/or reseller to file a support request.  Provide clear, precise instructions on how to duplicate the problem so the techs can test it on their end.  The quicker they can duplicate the problem the sooner they can figure out how easy any fix will be.

Or simply determine that - 'Yes, there is a problem but we don't know what to do about it other that document it and close the case.'

Contact your reseller and let them take care of the BS with Autodesk. I have been doing this for quite a while now, and have only had a support case successfully resolved one time. Dan Philbrick actually called me to discuss the problem and emailed me a patch afterward. I'm pretty sure that they quickly squelched that level of customer service shortly thereafter because that was the first and last time. Now I would say that it is a waste of time to submit the support requests. The optimist in me still does it, but don't expect any results.

Message 27 of 35
civilSD

I guess we could stop using xrefs and go back to putting everything ( by blocks) we need to create a plan set right in to a file. However, that opens up a different can of worms! I haven't thought of any feasible way around the lag issue at this point.

It seems like Autodesk isn't big on 'dynamic updating' for plan production eiter so maybe that's their intent??? (Sorry - I'm still working on my pipe network project and have to individually update the profiles created with PP - that's a pain in the butt too.)

I'm sure Autodesk knows of these problems - since 2015 actually - not sure why they haven't been addressed yet!? Maybe a boycott of their software updates would get them moving on the issues users face daily???
Message 28 of 35
Hackett1980

I think I may have found the solution. When you xref a dwg all the layers within that dwg show up in the layer dialogue box. If you have a layer filter selected which shows all layers autocad must scan all the layers everytime there is a command or selection etc...If you create a filter or select a filter that does not show all the active and xref layers then the program seems to function a lot better. Please try this approach and see what happends.

Message 29 of 35
civilSD

I changed the layer filter settings and that does seem to make a differrence. I still notice a pause after the pick but it is certainly not an all out stop like it was. This works great until I have to actually edit a layer from an xref - then it's back to the lag issue during that process.

So - kudos to you and I'll tag this as a solution. However, I still think it's just a work around until Autodesk can get it right. Thanks!!! Claudia
Message 30 of 35
civilSD

Message 31 of 35
Arfman

This fix had no affect on my machines.

Message 32 of 35
aballlinger86

https://forums.autodesk.com/t5/autocad-forum/autocad-2016-pauses-when-selecting-objects/td-p/5615628

refer to the above link, i have been posting fixes to these lag problems I have been encountering

my posts are on the second page

Message 33 of 35
ToddRogers-WPM
in reply to: Arfman

Do you have the Civil 3D Performance Degradation Hotfix installed? See below...

https://knowledge.autodesk.com/support/autocad/troubleshooting/caas/sfdcarticles/sfdcarticles/Civil-...

Todd Rogers
Message 34 of 35
aballlinger86

Sorry didnt realize this was a civil discussion forum. We are coming up to the same problems though. I am running cad mep with trimble add on. Also company doesn't want to do a patch or uninstall if can help it... But i have a feeling that is what its going to come to though i heard in another forum that didnt even work. So i am at a loss. Especially since this is how the computer was working when i got to it, so i know nothing of any lisps, system variables or cui settings that might have been changed before i got the job...
Message 35 of 35

new updates and temporary fixes to this problem are in this forum

https://forums.autodesk.com/t5/autocad-forum/autocad-2016-pauses-when-selecting-objects/m-p/7624795#...

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report