Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Automatic Top-Of-Bank Detection?

2 REPLIES 2
Message 1 of 3
Ntuthuko.
389 Views, 2 Replies

Automatic Top-Of-Bank Detection?

Good Day

I have a surface that includes a natural stream channel and I intend on placing a concrete channel corridor within the natural channel and have some fill between the two channels. Is there a way to automatically identify the top-of-bank in order to set the fill to extend to it regardless of the slope?

I'm thinking the solution would entail somehow extracting from the surface a polyline that traces the top-of-bank and then setting it as a target in my channel subassembly?

Please see the attached illustration for further clarity.

All assistance is appreciated.

Ntuthuko

2 REPLIES 2
Message 2 of 3
tcorey
in reply to: Ntuthuko.

You're absolutely correct. Once you have the top of bank 3d polyline, you will use that as a target in the corridor.

Getting the 3d polyline from random points is the issue. Creating a slope analysis style might help you identify where the slope breaks, thus providing a visual to help you trace the polyline yourself.

I don't know of a way to get Civil 3D to automatically extract the top of bank, unless you have survey data. What are the underlying data for the surface?

Tim Corey
MicroCAD Training and Consulting, Inc.
Redding, CA
Autodesk Gold Reseller

New knowledge is the most valuable commodity on earth. -- Kurt Vonnegut
Message 3 of 3
cwr-pae
in reply to: Ntuthuko.

Didn't the surveyor shoot the top bank? That SOP here as well as a an auto generated feature line for a break line.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report