Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodeskā€™s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results forĀ 
ShowĀ Ā onlyĀ  | Search instead forĀ 
Did you mean:Ā 

AutoCAD 2018 New Features

10 REPLIES 10
Message 1 of 11
tcorey
1454 Views, 10 Replies

AutoCAD 2018 New Features

Hello everyone. In case you're interested in new features of AutoCAD 2018:

http://timsc3dblog.blogspot.com/2017/03/autocad-2018-new-features.html

This is for AutoCAD only, not for Civil 3D or Map. Autodesk has made no announcements regarding the availability of those products in a 2018 version.

My favorite new feature is what they have done to help avoid broken external reference links. Relative is now the default path type and when you save a host drawing to a new folder, you get a dialog. If you press the right button, it will update the xref paths for you, automatically. This can save cost and consternation.

Tim Corey
MicroCAD Training and Consulting, Inc.
Redding, CA
Autodesk Gold Reseller

New knowledge is the most valuable commodity on earth. -- Kurt Vonnegut
10 REPLIES 10
Message 2 of 11
caddie99
in reply to: tcorey

As I remember it, C3D DOES get these new features.
Message 3 of 11
tcorey
in reply to: caddie99

Yes, that's correct. What I mean to say is that these features are in all flavors of AutoCAD. The blog entry does not cover features that are Civil 3D or Map specific.

Tim Corey
Redding, CA
Autodesk Gold Reseller

Message 4 of 11
joantopo

I want to test the more performance in orbit (objects viewer) according to them.
Autocad C3D 2019 SP3, 2020 & 2021
Intel I9 9900K with frontal watercooler alphacool eisbaer 360 (original fans mounted in pull)- 3 fans Corsair 120 ML PRO in push.
MOBO Gygabyte Z390 Aorus Master- Corsair RGB Vengeance 64GB RAM (4x16) CL16
Nvidia Quadro RTX 4000
Samsung 970 EVO PLUS 1TB (unit C). Samsung 970 PRO 512GB (for data)
Power Supply: Corsair TX850M PLUS

Descubre mi programa VisorNET para Civil 3D:
https://apps.autodesk.com/CIV3D/es/Detail/Index?id=appstore.exchange.autodesk.com%3avisornet_windows32and64%3aes
Message 5 of 11
tcorey
in reply to: joantopo

Yes, that's potentially a very welcome feature. Autodesk has even stated that their 3d performance in approaching that of their 2d. Wow!

Tim Corey
Redding, CA
Autodesk Gold Reseller

Message 6 of 11
Cadguru42

@tcorey wrote:

Yes, that's potentially a very welcome feature. Autodesk has even stated that their 3d performance in approaching that of their 2d. Wow!

The key question will be if Autodesk fixed the major bug with two viewports open and being far away from the origin. They didn't fix it with 2017 and it wasn't fixed in 2016 either. Not having curves display properly in a CAD program is pretty bad. Even worse when it's gone on for over two years.

C3D 2022-2024
Windows 10 Pro
32GB RAM
Message 7 of 11
jmayo-EE

Nothin new about being able to add the layer dropdown into the quick access toolbar or seeing icons of pdf pages either...Perhaps thier list just wasn't long enough.

John Mayo

EESignature

Message 8 of 11
tcorey
in reply to: jmayo-EE

John, here is the PDFAttach dialog in 2017 and 2018. Is your 2017 different?

2017.jpg     2018.jpg

Regarding being able to add the Layer dropdown into Quick Access, yes,, if you know how to use the CUI, you can add the layer control. I think the difference is that now its available directly from the quickaccess toolbar dropdown, instead of having to customize through CUI.

Best regards,

Tim

Tim Corey
Redding, CA
Autodesk Gold Reseller

Message 9 of 11
jmayo-EE

I misunderstood the pdf thumbnail. I thought they were talking about the next dialog, see attached.

As for the layer dropdown, in 15, 16 and 17 simply go to home tab, right click on the layer dropdown and select Add To Quick Access Toolbar. No cui required. I believe this also works in 13 and 14...

John Mayo

EESignature

Message 10 of 11
tcorey
in reply to: jmayo-EE

@jmayo wrote:

...As for the layer dropdown, in 15, 16 and 17 simply go to home tab, right click on the layer dropdown and select Add To Quick Access Toolbar.

A hidden gem, that.

I guess the difference is that the option is now on the quick access dropdown itself.

Tim Corey
Redding, CA
Autodesk Gold Reseller

Message 11 of 11
jmayo-EE

I still think they needed some filler material for the press release.  šŸ˜®

šŸ™‚

John Mayo

EESignature

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Ā 

Autodesk Design & Make Report

Ā