Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Almost Vertical profile data and displayed 3d profile - not correct?

6 REPLIES 6
SOLVED
Message 1 of 7
MikeEvansUK
349 Views, 6 Replies

Almost Vertical profile data and displayed 3d profile - not correct?

Ok before anyone points out the obvious, I know that Civil3d cant actually do true vertical elements in a profile but the attached image shows a as near as possible vertical element (offset 10mm between the top and bottom) to enable the design.

I can detail this in the long section but why when I look at the 3d view (profiles) or export it via alignment to featureline it does not appear/export this information as designed in the profile? See image below, the vertical section in the long section is the top line shown just above the cross hairs which seems to be about 45 degrees.

When I export the profiles to Landxml or to landxml via Leica Infrastructure I get the same results?

This design was a helical ramp with edge beams & SuperElevation, one beam needed to dip down underneath the edge to form an access, the whole thing as it wraps over its self has caused a lot of hassle and head scratching to model - Got there though.

Going forward I'm really thinking of Retaining walls here, we detail a lot of walls in Civil3d where the top and bottom step, I initially concept design them in Civil3d then pass over to Revit for "proper" final structural design but I'm concerned that I may be pushing inaccurate data across in a model.

Can someone let me know what the logic is, ie min gradient or distance displayed / exported so that in the future I know what elements of my design may not be passed across and use a workaround as needed.

Mike

VerticalProfileEntity_Error.png

Mike Evans

Civil3D 2022 English
Windows 7 Professional 64-bit
Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-3820 CPU @ 3.60GHz (8 CPUs), ~4.0GHz With 32768MB RAM, AMD FirePro V4900, Dedicated Memory: 984 MB, Shared Memory: 814 MB

6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
tcorey
in reply to: MikeEvansUK

Can you post the drawing, Mike?

Tim Corey
MicroCAD Training and Consulting, Inc.
Redding, CA
Autodesk Gold Reseller

New knowledge is the most valuable commodity on earth. -- Kurt Vonnegut
Message 3 of 7
Dexterel

I'm not sure I understand your problem, so please excuse me if my comments are not related.

some elements in Civil 3D don't allow having two elevations on the same point (x,y). The problem is at intersection.

Feature line will interact whit itself, and add a unique elevation at intersection.

Civil 3D Surfaces don't allow two elevation on the same point.

Try exploding the feature lines and obtain 3D poly, maybe check and delete bad intersection points. Or can you provide a simpler explication for your problem?

Message 4 of 7
MikeEvansUK
in reply to: tcorey

Tim, drawing attached. The original is large so I have ported just the alignment & profiles in question out into a blank file.

You should see what I mean in the views.

No I can using a corridor export the feature line with the details more accurately than the view but I can't from export FL from alignment or exploding in the 3d view. The data is just not correct.

Edit: With attachment..

M

Mike Evans

Civil3D 2022 English
Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-3820 CPU @ 3.60GHz (8 CPUs), ~4.0GHz With 32768MB RAM, AMD FirePro V4900, Dedicated Memory: 984 MB, Shared Memory: 814 MB

Message 5 of 7
tcorey

Mike, turn off the option to Weed Points when you Create Feature Line from Alignment.

Screenshot.jpg

Tim

Tim Corey
Redding, CA
Autodesk Gold Reseller

Message 6 of 7
MikeEvansUK
in reply to: tcorey

Thanks Tim, that does appear export the information correctly. Not sure why I missed that check box?

So I'll close this out.

I'm still curious as to why the profile is shown incorrectly surely this also means that if we export the file it would be incorrect also? I expected the Mspace profile to be the same.

M

Mike Evans

Civil3D 2022 English

Message 7 of 7
tcorey

I don't fully understand why you say the profile is shown incorrectly. The profile I am looking at appears correct.Maybe you can start a new thread (new questions should have their own threads; it helps the future searcher.) and show a snapshot or two? 

Tim Corey
Redding, CA
Autodesk Gold Reseller

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report