AutoCAD Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Roof Suface Hatch (or Material) Display in plan

7 REPLIES 7
Message 1 of 8
chughes
4081 Views, 7 Replies

Roof Suface Hatch (or Material) Display in plan

Can someone help me work out what seems should be a basic issue.

I have a Material Definition for my Roof Object.  I prefer to keep it a Roof Object instead of breaking it into slabs.  See Display Properties image for settings.  I have Surface Hatch turned on.

Model views show the hatch correctly.

Elevation views show the hatch correctly.

Plan views do not show the surface hatch at all.

How can I get the surface hatch to show in plan?  I have tried changing the cut plan height and various other suggestions on the boards.  It seems I am making something more complicated than it should be.

7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8
pothied
in reply to: chughes

There may be a way to make this work but my understanding is that the surface hatch is designed to display in section, elevation and 3D views (not plan).

http://docs.autodesk.com/BLDSYS/2014/ENU/files/GUID-3692A9C6-5BD6-4EBE-BB0B-AD2DD6D02AAB.htm

The only way I could "kind of" get it to display in plan was to change my vpoint to very close to plan but stil in a 3D view. This trick may work depending on what else you are doing in that view. Type DDVPOINT at the command line and set X Axis to 270 and XY Plane to 89.9.

David Pothier

Message 3 of 8
chughes
in reply to: pothied

The thought process behind not allowing a surface hatch to be visible in plan doesnt make sense to me, but if we move past that, is it possible to individually control standard hatching on each indivudial face of the roof object?  Again, I want to keep the roof object intact in order to keep its intelligent properties.

If I hatch the roof, the hatch area *appears* as if it will only hatch the face, but when the command is completed, the entire roof is hatched.

Message 4 of 8
chughes

Ping?
Message 5 of 8
John.W.Mumaw

I'm not sure if this will work for your purposes, but when I need a roof plan I use a horizontal section.  The resulting section object usually needs a little editing but it will show hatching and more importantly any overlapping roofs will hide properly.

John

John W. Mumaw
Timber Frame Designer
Lost Bent Woodworking & Design
Message 6 of 8
dbroad
in reply to: John.W.Mumaw

There are at least 3 ways to accomplish what you want:

1)Use vpoint to create a view very close to plan view but not exactly plan view (0.0001, 0.0001, 1000) This will use the model display rep. (Very similar to proposal of pothied)

2)Use a detail callout to create a plan view using the 2d section/Elevation styles. Be sure to set the cut plane to above the roof and the depth sufficient to depict the object. (Very similar to John's proposal)

3)Use the displaymanager to adjust the display set for roofs. Check model rep for roofs.

Architect, Registered NC, VA, SC, & GA.
Message 7 of 8
danellis2982
in reply to: dbroad

I don't tend to use Roofs very often, but to get a Roofslab to hatch on plan you need to set its Shrinkwrap material to the same as the outer component material.

dJE

Message 8 of 8
ntellery

To do this I created a new displayrep for the roof object, copied from the model view (not plan view) and call it ROOF PLAN.  This is a little complex to describe step by step unless you are familiar with the Display Reps and how to change but basically as with a shadowplan, I need to look at plan view but see the model (3D) not a 2d plan.

Lets see if I can describe the process.  Opening a std template.

Create a roof in plan view. Open Display Manager > rep by object. Roof.

In the left pane, 'grab' the model and drag down until you see a + appear and drop.

Rename this new rep RoofPlan. (You have to do this in the Right Pane).

Notice that no boxes are ticked in the Right pane! (Edit - I forgot to revisit this in the file posted. It has the Model dispRep ticked but I prefer to isolate it and untick and tick the Roof Plan which means I can edit display sep. from model views and gives me more flexibility. Since Roof Plan was a copy of the Model view, it will behave the same way until I edit one or the other).

Scroll up to Configurations and Drag and Drop Medium Detail and rename Roof Plan. This will be the display Rep you select to get the hatch to show up (assuming you want it in a roof plan).

Now scroll down to Sets and dragDrop Model (or maybe PLAN might be better choice depending on how you want other things to appear.  I use model and my Roof Plan viewport actually uses Hidden View to hide and show a roof plan!)

Again rename to Roof Plan.

Ok out and change the display rep to your roof plan.

NOTE:  If you select a roof object with walls and look at in the viewer (ie rotate from plan to 3D), you will see the Roof Object doesn't really have a 'plan view (2d)' like walls do and is always 3d.  But as you have found out, it is wired to display differently (no hatch) for plan views.

Add your roof material into the drawing and apply to RO.

Next we have to mess with the DispRep for Materials and we see there is not a one to one relationship to plan / model . For me I've added an extra set for elevation and Roof Plan but TBH I am not sure I have quite got this right. so..

Open Display Manager again and scroll down to Rep by Object, > Mat. DEf.

In the Right Pane you will see the Roof Plan is now one of the Rows across the top and mine has the Medium Detail box ticked BUT I don't want it to display the same as MD so I will create a new  Mat Def. In the Left pane, Drag and drop General Medium Detail and rename to Roof Plan and you now have a new Material Def for any or all objects for roof plan.  In The Right Pane, untick the MedDetail box and tick the Roof Plan which isolates this view from others (But not unless you change, they are all the same as was set in MedDetail which is a nice place to start.

Still in the Display Manager, scroll up to Configurations and select Roof Plan.

In Right Pane, Config tab, change the TOP direction from Plan to Roof Plan and it will now use that Set over the plan set.  (NOTE: this is the same for how to get  shadow cast in renderinrg from a plan view).

ok out.

Select your RO, right click and Edit Object Display and Materials tab. You should see now the Roof Plan is bold instead of Med Detail or Presentation as before.

Tick the box for Style override and you will see 'Surface Hatch is off by default"  Turn on and set your hatching as desired. Not we are using Surface and not plan as we are actually hijacking a model view (as plan view for roof object will not show materials).

Tadaaaa!!  My hatch just showed up.  I hope yours does to.  If not post back & pref post file.

I've attached my sample I just worked through (beware it's metric!!)

I have plenty more tips on using the Roof Object on my site and Youtube page.  There are particular tips about getting a render material to fall to the gutter for eg. but I haven't yet posted that.

After all that, I also concur with using the horizontal elevation tool as a good option. Mine is live rather than needing to be refreshed but that can throw challenges in getting to look as you want, ie there is no editing sep from the model.

www.ausaca.blogspot.com
Do you know all about the Roof Object? Learn it's secrets
http://ausaca.blogspot.com.au/p/roof-object-video-links.html

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost