AutoCAD Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

XREF INVALID

16 REPLIES 16
SOLVED
Message 1 of 17
JayHultman
102453 Views, 16 Replies

XREF INVALID

Using ACA2013, If a drawing was created in ACA2012, I can't xref dwg (attachment or overlay, path, no path - doesn't matter).  Tells me "invalid" after it regens model.   The dwg is saved on same workstation, opens without issue on it's own. If I start a new drawing using 2013 and xref it in, seems to work fine.  Anybody else experiencing this, or know of a fix?

16 REPLIES 16
Message 2 of 17
pendean
in reply to: JayHultman

So you cannot XREF into an existing file in 2013, but you can XREF into a new file in 2013?

Does 2013 give you an error message?

Are you logged into 2013's 360 cloud (not in 2012)? If yes, log out then try again and see if your issue goes away.

Message 3 of 17
bryce.thelin

Hi Jay,

Could you attach a screen shot of the error to this thread and also a copy of one of your AutoCAD Architecture 2012 drawings?

Bryce Thelin
AutoCAD Product Support
Message 4 of 17
JayHultman
in reply to: pendean

If I start a new dwg in 2013, I can XREF an existing file created in 2012.  If I open a dwg (in 2013) that was created in 2012, I can not XREF existing drawings created in 2012.  I can, however XREF drawings created in 2013.

The XREF that doesn't work will show a status as "unresolved". 

No error message... This is what will show on the command line when I try to attach a drawing:

Attach Xref "XXXX-201LAKE BASESHEET": C:\Users\Jay\Documents\Projects\201 Lake Street\XXXX-201LAKE BASESHEET.dwg

Regenerating model.

*Invalid*

I am not logged into the cloud.  I cannot use the cloud, since I no longer log in because I found it uses all my computers virtual memory, no matter how much virtual memory I allot for it.  The result is an extremely slow computer that crashes constantly.  Frankly, Autodesk 360 makes AutoCAD unusable.

Message 5 of 17
bryce.thelin

Try running RECOVER or RECOVERALL on the 2012 drawing.

Bryce Thelin
AutoCAD Product Support
Message 6 of 17
JayHultman
in reply to: bryce.thelin

RECOVER fixed the"unresolved" XREF that was already attached.  However, still can not XREF other drawings created in 2012.  Tried recovering those drawings prior to attaching, still no luck.  Again, no error message, command line looks like this:

Attach Xref "XXXX-201LAKE STE 242": C:\Users\Jay\Documents\Projects\201 Lake Street\XXXX-201LAKE STE 242.dwg

Regenerating layout.

Regenerating model.

*Invalid*

Message 7 of 17
bryce.thelin

Are you able to attach a couple sample drawings to this thread--a "main" file and an "xref"?

Bryce Thelin
AutoCAD Product Support
Message 8 of 17
JayHultman
in reply to: bryce.thelin

Not at liberty to attach a client drawing.  I tried to create "sample" drawings and found I couldn't duplicate the problem. Seems to only be in files that were created prior to installing 2013.  I also discovered that if I open a 2012 file in 2013 that is having this issue, RECOVER will fix the one drawing already XREF'ed but I can not XREF any additional drawings.  If I detach the XREF, I can then XREF in another drawing, but it only allows one drawing to be XREF'ed.  When I try to attach a second drawing, "invalid" at the command line.  RECOVERALL doesn't seem to fix it either.  Summary - Doesn't care which drawing is XREF'ed, only cares that there is only one XREF.

Message 9 of 17
bryce.thelin

How about deleting all the content out of the drawing(s) and then attaching those, assuming the problem still occurs at that point.

Can you test the same drawings on another computer?

Another good test to do would be to create a brand new administrator user account on your system, log in to it, and then try to reproduce the issue. AutoCAD Architecture 2013 will load with a clean initial setup in the new user account. Don't migrate any settings into it. If the problem goes away there, then you can reset AutoCAD under your own user account.

Bryce Thelin
AutoCAD Product Support
Message 10 of 17
don
Observer

I just had the same or a similar problem. When I tried to XREF a file into an existing file, it being invalid. After looking further, it said the xref had the same block name as a current block in the drawing. So I purged everything and it attached fine.

Message 11 of 17
castro.miri87

Hi.

spent my equal, i had to copy my references on a new sheet of autocad 2013 and save the file with another name reference, only that way i can use the references that i made in autocad 2012

Message 12 of 17
JayHultman

I am glad you found a work-around for the issue. I am no longer running
that version, haven't had any similar challenges since v2013. Good luck!

Jay Hultman

Bruce W. Schmitt & Associates, P.A.

p.952-476-6222 f.952-476-6228

320 Manitoba Avenue South - Wayzata MN 55391

jhultman@brucewschmitt.com -
www.brucewschmitt.com
Message 13 of 17
mattJSQP2

PLEASE HELP!!! when I type XREF, CAD says *cancel and the xref window doesn't show up, therefore I can't update my drawings unless I close and reopen. Using Autocad has to be the most frustrating thing about my career, there is always a software issue with you guys. SUCKS!!!! 

I've reset the profile on the options menu but it didn't work.

Message 14 of 17
mattJSQP2

PLEASE HELP!!! when I type XREF, CAD says *cancel and the xref window doesn't show up, therefore I can't update my drawings unless I close and reopen. Using Autocad has to be the most frustrating thing about my career, there is always a software issue with you guys. SUCKS!!!! 

I've reset the profile on the options menu but it didn't work.

Message 15 of 17
iturbe777
in reply to: mattJSQP2

The solution I found since I had the exact same issue; open the original drawing you want to attach, save-as a different name (I just added a number 2 at the end of the name) and close it. I tried to attach it again and did the job with no issues. Hope this helps. 

Message 16 of 17
a00812364

(I finally figured this out!)

Problem:

AutoCAD is having difficulties referencing a file in edit / open.

User will get an error indicating the 'file cannot be found' and that there is an '*invalid*' error when using 'relative path'

Solution:

Before using XREF to link a file to another,

- Save the 'other file' (make sure the * is gone)

- Close the 'other file'

- Save the 'current file'  (make sure the * is gone)

- XREF in to the 'current file'

Context:

I had originally thought it was a link issue, as it would only happen when I selected 'relative path'.

My temporary solution was to use 'full path' at which point the file would link regardless if the file was open or not.

The downside to this was others in my office wouldn't always be able to see the linked XREF due to them having our 'Sync' folder in different drives.

Eventually after working on this for awhile, I found the above pattern.

An alternate solution is to XREF the file in as 'full path' initially and then change it to 'relative path' in your File References manager.

Message 17 of 17
vinceTEWR6
in reply to: mattJSQP2

Bit of a late reply here but seems like it's your hardware giving you the issues. I've also been using AutoCAD for my career (12+ years) and have never had any issues with the software because I make sure my computer has the specs to handle it.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost