AutoCAD Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Wall Cleanup question

8 REPLIES 8
SOLVED
Message 1 of 9
delwer
700 Views, 8 Replies

Wall Cleanup question

I have two Walls, both horizontal, one in continuation of the other. While the 1st has multiple Components, the 2nd Wall has only the 1 default component. The problem is after I draw the 2nd Wall, their joining point is not seamless, there is a small line separating them.

- Is this normal?

- (How) could I get rid of it by means of In-place Wall Cleanup?

Thanks.

8 REPLIES 8
Message 2 of 9
David_W_Koch
in reply to: delwer

What Display Configuration do you have set current?

Based on your description, I set up a test file for myself, with an out-of-the-box Stud-4 GWB-0.625 Each Side Wallbutting into a 5.25" wide out-of-the-box Standard Wall.  The Standard Wall has a single, variable-width component, with a Priority of 1, so it will "run over" all components of any other partition, unless they also have a Priority of 1.  The Stud-4 GWB-0.625 Each Side Wall has three, fixed-width components, with a Priority of 1200 for the two GWB components and a Priority of 500 for the Stud component.  Since there are no matching Priorities between the two Walls, none of the components will cleanup with each other, and a line is to be expected, when the Medium Detail or High Detail Display Configurations are active and the Walls are viewed from the Top view direction.  Change to the Low Detail Display Configuration, however, and the line will go away, as will any linework separating the components and any component hatching.

If you want the components to show, but not have a line across the Walls where they abut, you can use the Cleanup Edit in Place tool and then, while in edit-in-place mode, on the Edit in Place: Wall Cleanup contextual ribbon tab, on the Profile panel, choose the Hide Edge tool.  Click on the line that marks where the two Walls abut to hide it.  There are actually a number of lines here, so you will have to click many times before all of them go away.  (I lost count on my test file.)  Persistence will pay off eventually.  Here is the result I got.  I personally would rather see the line, presuming that it marks a change in Wall construction, but it is your drawing, not mine.2017-04-28_AbuttingWallsCleanupInPlaceToRemoveLine.png

David Koch
AutoCAD Architecture and Revit User
Blog | LinkedIn
EESignature

Message 3 of 9
leothebuilder

Wall components have (and should have) different clean up priorities.

If you cant certain components to "clean up" at intersections and joints their priorities should be set to the same value.

In addition to that you can also create clean up groups to enable (or not enable) cleaning up at intersections and joints.

But first and foremost you need to check out component priorities.

See more in this article:

https://knowledge.autodesk.com/support/autocad-architecture/learn-explore/caas/CloudHelp/cloudhelp/2...

Message 4 of 9
gotphish001
in reply to: leothebuilder

@David_W_Koch It was my understanding that default walls don't clean up with the out of the box more complex walls?  If that is the case then couldn't he just change the default wall to a wall style with a single component that is the same as the 1 of the components in the other wall to have it clean up?

Nick DiPietro
Cad Manager/Monkey

Message 5 of 9
David_W_Koch
in reply to: gotphish001

@gotphish001 wrote:

@David_W_Koch It was my understanding that default walls don't clean up with the out of the box more complex walls?  If that is the case then couldn't he just change the default wall to a wall style with a single component that is the same as the 1 of the components in the other wall to have it clean up?

The Standard Wall Style will clean up with any other Wall that uses the Standard Wall Cleanup Group.  Draw one across any other out-of-the-box Wall Style.  The Standard Wall Style will cut through the other one, because its one component has a Herculean priorty of 1, which is the highest priority available.  If they did not clean up at all, you would see the graphics of both Walls running through as if the other did not exist.

I was not exactly sure whether or not the original poster meant to be rid of the entire line, or just between the Stud and Unnammed Components.  If the latter is the case, then duplicating the out-of-the-box Standard Wall Style, calling it Standard 500 (or whatever suits your fancy), and changing the priority of the unnamed component to 500 will remove the line between the Stud and Unnammed Components if the Walls abut.  There will still be lines at the ends of the GWB component.2017-04-28_AbuttingWallsCleanupInPlaceToRemoveLine2.png

David Koch
Blog | LinkedIn
EESignature

Message 6 of 9
delwer
in reply to: David_W_Koch

@Anonymous wrote:

I personally would rather see the line, presuming that it marks a change in Wall construction, but it is your drawing, not mine.2017-04-28_AbuttingWallsCleanupInPlaceToRemoveLine.png

I would too, but it's not my decision; these problems arise from trying to reproduce in ACA some old plans, drawn on paper, not created with ACA in mind and with their quirks.

@Anonymous wrote:

I was not exactly sure whether or not the original poster meant to be rid of the entire line, or just between the Stud and Unnammed Components.

I needed to get rid of the whole line.

@Anonymous wrote:

What Display Configuration do you have set current?

Change to the Low Detail Display Configuration, however, and the line will go away, as will any linework separating the components and any component hatching.

My Display Configuration is Medium Detail, but I'd rather solve the problem with the Cleanup tool.

I succeeded in solving my problem both by hiding the edges and by matching Wall priorities; now the walls clean up perfectly.

But as soon as I grip edit the simple wall's width to around half the "Stud-4"'s width (their upper edges still on the same line), a yellow "problem" icon appears. I don't know how to edit it in Cleanup so that the upper red line (in your example image) remains like before, untouched by any other line.

Message 7 of 9
David_W_Koch

Is this what you want to achieve?2017-04-29_AbuttingWallsCleanupInPlaceToRemoveLine3.png

I have attached the file that I was using to produce the images.  I am not sure why you got a cleanup error; I did not.  My original Walls were center justified, so when I set up the test case with reduced width, the Walls stopped cleaning up until I added a cleanup radius override.  But your Walls may have had their Justification lines at the "top" side.  Making those changes seemed to cause the cleanup override to be lost, but it was easily reapplied.

David Koch
Blog | LinkedIn
EESignature

Message 8 of 9
delwer
in reply to: David_W_Koch

@Anonymous wrote:

Is this what you want to achieve?2017-04-29_AbuttingWallsCleanupInPlaceToRemoveLine3.png

I have attached the file that I was using to produce the images.  I am not sure why you got a cleanup error; I did not.  My original Walls were center justified, so when I set up the test case with reduced width, the Walls stopped cleaning up until I added a cleanup radius override.  

David_W._Koch wrote:

But your Walls may have had their Justification lines at the "top" side.

That is exactly what I wanted, and yes, my walls' justification line defaulted to Left, hence they were at the top.

I managed to get the cleanup done by making the 2nd wall priority 500 (matching one of the left wall's priorities).

To be sure that I got things right I then tried to make the 2nd (normal) wall even thinner- thinner than the other wall's GWB component. Using the Walls in your file (the uppermost ones, with the Left justification) I almost succeeded, but a small line was missing. Why is that?

Cleanup.jpg

Using my file (in which I tried to exactly reproduce the walls you provided), still gave me a warning sign. For reference, I attach my file.

Maybe you could point out what could be the difference between the walls in my DWG and the corresponding ones in your file?

Message 9 of 9
David_W_Koch

For the less than GWB width Standard Wall, you are getting a gap there because the line between the priority 500 Unnamed component and the GWB component was hidden.  If you want that to gap to be closed, but want the GWB component open to the Unnamed component, then you will need another variation of the Standard Wall Style, where the Unnamed component's priority matches that of the GWB component (1200, in my file).  I did get a cleanup error after doing that; adding a Wall Merge took care of that.

And now, having looked at your file, I see you did everything I did, except for adding the Wall Merge.  Adding the Wall Merge does bring back the wrapping GWB of the "BYSTYLE" endcap.  If you do not want that, you can override the endcap at that end to the Standard style.  Here is a brief Screencast showning the process on your file:

Use the tool with the double-arrow icon at the right side of the black bar below the video, to expand the video to full screen so that you can better see what is being done.  Press the Esc key or select that tool again to return to the full Forum page.

David Koch
Blog | LinkedIn
EESignature

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost